Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:58 AM   #26
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Since you bought it inside of the EU, you are allowed to return the product for a full refund.
I wish this was true but it isn't. There is no right to a refund when buying from bricks and mortar stores unless the item is faulty.
shortcrust is offline   3
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Piccio
macrumors member

"support local business", uh...?

Well, sometimes these kind of shops deserve to fail, are managed by opportunistic morons. Go there pissed off and force them (no violence obviously) to respect the return policy.
Piccio is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:12 AM   #28
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

"I want the new iPad,"

"Oh, you mean the latest and greatest iPad 2, my friend?"

"I think so, I'm really not sure, that is the new iPad, right?"

"Yes, yes, my friend, the iPad 2, the latest and greatest! You want only the wifis? NO, you don't want just the wifis, you get the 3g it is best for holiday!"

"I dunno, my son said I'd only need the Wifi, 16gb model, New iPad"

"Yes, yes, my friend, the new iPad 2 with 3g, perfect for your holiday, only 449!"

"Ok, if thats what my son sent me here to get?"

"Yes it is perfect for you and holiday! Don't get the wifis, get 3G!"

Sorry to make light, I can just see how that went and I feel bad about the situation.
mpayne2k is offline   9
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:15 AM   #29
yinz
macrumors 6502a

That seems horrible. I'm just curious why you didn't go to the store with your mother, or simply get it for her and have her pay you back. My family always leave me to do the technology shopping to avoid this type of ripping off. It's really hard for people that aren't tech savvy to know what is "up-to-date" and what is a rip off.

From your story, I just feel like this is a tragic, yet avoidable event. It sounds like she bought it under false pretence, but it's really your word versus their's. Anyway, I hope you resolve the problem and that you have learned a big life lesson from this experience.
yinz is offline   3
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:22 AM   #30
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
"support local business", uh...?

Well, sometimes these kind of shops deserve to fail, are managed by opportunistic morons. Go there pissed off and force them (no violence obviously) to respect the return policy.
It sounds like they don't have one, and as I've said in my post above there is no legal right to return unwanted goods. Stores that offer 14 or 30 day returns do so out of goodwill and good customer service. Sorry to bang on about it, but so many people get caught out by this because they think they have more protection than they really do.

They should of course accept returns where the item has been incorrectly described, but you really need to have some evidence. I sympathise with the OP. My 70 year old mum has a habit of buying electronic good without asking for advice from me because she likes to be independent. Sadly this means she frequently buys over priced and unsuitable stuff!

To try to be constructive, if they don't respond reasonably I would set everything out in writing and say that unless they refund you will go through the small claims system and tell them verbally that you believe are exploiting elderly people (not that your mother really is that elderly!) and that you will contact local press and Watchdog. They might settle just to avoid the hassle. I would also delete the reference to the company name in this thread. You don't want them finding this as it gives them too much information about your intentions.
shortcrust is offline   3
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:29 AM   #31
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I know this store,,,,,run by opportunistic idiots! Kick up a fuss and threaten to report them to trading standards. This is the store right? A friend of mine had loads of trouble after being sold a faulty hard drive here, but in the end they replaced it, but not before trying to blame her for breaking it! Reminds me of the shops on Tottenham Court Road run by Indian/Arabic guys and all the other ones in London area. They are just out to make a quick sale regardless of the state of the customer. Fight for a refund and go to an Apple store instead. Good luck!
How about we all put 141 before our numbers and give them some calls?

Can you tell me how much an iPad 2 16GB WiFi is please?

329?

Not the 389 you sold one to a 64 year old woman?
WeegieMac is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:35 AM   #32
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcrust View Post
It sounds like they don't have one, and as I've said in my post above there is no legal right to return unwanted goods. Stores that offer 14 or 30 day returns do so out of goodwill and good customer service. Sorry to bang on about it, but so many people get caught out by this because they think they have more protection than they really do.

They should of course accept returns where the item has been incorrectly described, but you really need to have some evidence. I sympathise with the OP. My 70 year old mum has a habit of buying electronic good without asking for advice from me because she likes to be independent. Sadly this means she frequently buys over priced and unsuitable stuff!

To try to be constructive, if they don't respond reasonably I would set everything out in writing and say that unless they refund you will go through the small claims system and tell them verbally that you believe are exploiting elderly people (not that your mother really is that elderly!) and that you will contact local press and Watchdog. They might settle just to avoid the hassle. I would also delete the reference to the company name in this thread. You don't want them finding this as it gives them too much information about your intentions.
Some other posters mentioned about the EU having specific protection to buyers for purchases? I'd look into your rights...
mpayne2k is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:36 AM   #33
WeegieMac

iPad 2 - 16GB WiFi + 3G.

http://shop.sevenoakscomputers.co.uk...9_Hour_Battery

409.10 BEFORE VAT ... 490.92 after.

Jeeeeezus!
WeegieMac is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:44 AM   #34
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Some other posters mentioned about the EU having specific protection to buyers for purchases? I'd look into your rights...
To be blunt, they're wrong. Google 'right to return uk' and you'll find loads of reputable sites confirming what I've said.
shortcrust is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #35
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
To be blunt, they're wrong. Google 'right to return uk' and you'll find loads of reputable sites confirming what I've said.
Thanks for the understanding...could he have a case in the following:

Which.Co.Uk
It's broken, or it's the wrong type
Shops have a duty, under the Sale of Goods Act, to make sure that the product is:

as described
of satisfactory quality, and
fit for purpose this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).
If you buy a product that has a problem because of one of these reasons, you can choose to 'reject' it, return it and get your money back.
mpayne2k is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #36
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks for the understanding...could he have a case in the following:

Which.Co.Uk
It's broken, or it's the wrong type
Shops have a duty, under the Sale of Goods Act, to make sure that the product is:

as described
of satisfactory quality, and
fit for purpose this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).
If you buy a product that has a problem because of one of these reasons, you can choose to 'reject' it, return it and get your money back.
Yes, you're quite right - they should refund because it wasn't what was described. The problem is that it's difficult to enforce. I once tried to reject a second hand car that broke down 5 miles after buying it. The guys at the garage thought it was hilarious that I was quoting the Sale of Goods Act to them. I simply didn't have the time to pursue it so accepted their "generous" offer of a refund minus 500 quid.

Good luck to the OP. Really horrible situation to be in.
shortcrust is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:04 AM   #37
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, you're quite right - they should refund because it wasn't what was described. The problem is that it's difficult to enforce. I once tried to reject a second hand car that broke down 5 miles after buying it. The guys at the garage thought it was hilarious that I was quoting the Sale of Goods Act to them. I simply didn't have the time to pursue it so accepted their "generous" offer of a refund minus 500 quid.

Good luck to the OP. Really horrible situation to be in.
I feel a smidge bit luckier that I live in America right now.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to sound elitist on that one...I only mean due to the completitive nature of the US retail market, generally all stores have a favorable return policy.
mpayne2k is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:15 AM   #38
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
Too much text? Clearly that you didn't read she was charged 60 over the RRP for an iPad 2.

Oh and his Mum is 64 ... second paragraph. See if you don't read the full thing, don't comment.

Simples.
Right, just thinking the same thing.
KdParker is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:15 AM   #39
shortcrust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I feel a smidge bit luckier that I live in America right now.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to sound elitist on that one...I only mean due to the completitive nature of the US retail market, generally all stores have a favorable return policy.
I was about to say that most UK retailers do offer unconditional returns but then remembered that when I bought my first iPad from a large UK shop I found that it was excluded from their returns policy. It's quite usual for sale items to be excluded too and my favourite clothes shop doesn't do refunds.

Oh well, at least we have the weather (ha ha haaa..)!
shortcrust is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #40
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Not a blame the OP post, but if you knew she had no idea what she was doing, why did you let her go alone?
racer1441 is offline   6
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #41
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Not a blame the OP post, but if you knew she had no idea what she was doing, why did you let her go alone?
I doubt his intent was to have her buy blind. Who knows his circumstances, do they even live in the same town?

I've seen this happen before too, someone just needs something to travel with and sometimes lets the urgency of the situation get in the way of judgement.
mpayne2k is offline   3
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #42
Night Spring
macrumors G3

This thread demonstrates the problem with Apple's iPad naming convention. The confusion wouldn't have happened if Apple had stuck with numbering their iPads -- the OP could have just told his mom to get the "iPad 4." But come to think of it, isn't Apple calling the iPad 4 "iPad with retina"? Asking for that could have avoided the confusion, although hearing how this store operates, they may have found other ways to swindle the mom. Hope this gets resolved somehow, what's the equivalent of Better Bussiness Bureau in the UK? There must be somewhere to report businesses like this.
Night Spring is offline   4
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:09 PM   #43
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
This thread demonstrates the problem with Apple's iPad naming convention. The confusion wouldn't have happened if Apple had stuck with numbering their iPads -- the OP could have just told his mom to get the "iPad 4." But come to think of it, isn't Apple calling the iPad 4 "iPad with retina"? Asking for that could have avoided the confusion, although hearing how this store operates, they may have found other ways to swindle the mom. Hope this gets resolved somehow, what's the equivalent of Better Bussiness Bureau in the UK? There must be somewhere to report businesses like this.
Technically, the OP was telling his mother to get an iPad, 3rd generation, he stated to get a "new ipad, wifi, 16gb." I don't think Apple named the 4th gen the new iPad, but rather "iPad with retina display, 4th generation"
mpayne2k is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #44
Rodster
macrumors 68030

At least this didn't happen to the OP's mom because I would be pissed.

http://tucker.patch.com/articles/wal...-says-319933bf

Rodster is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #45
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If by "specific" you mean this scenario is specifically excluded then you're right.

I think this has gone way beyond the 'complain to the store' stage, clearly the store doesn't care. And I suspect it will be a problem to prove they did anything wrong.
bartzilla is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #46
The Man
macrumors 6502

Wait, so the box is unopened, and you offered to pay the price of the 4th gen iPad, but they refuse? I mean, sounds like these guys are crooks.

I would try the credit card company, but I would think it would be difficult. But try to explain them the whole situation.
The Man is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #47
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I don't know if this is allowed in the UK but i'd be tempted to hold up a sign in front of the store saying "These Guys Ripped Of My Mom".
Rodster is offline   2
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #48
Paul**
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I know this store,,,,,run by opportunistic idiots! Kick up a fuss and threaten to report them to trading standards. This is the store right? A friend of mine had loads of trouble after being sold a faulty hard drive here, but in the end they replaced it, but not before trying to blame her for breaking it! Reminds me of the shops on Tottenham Court Road run by Indian/Arabic guys and all the other ones in London area. They are just out to make a quick sale regardless of the state of the customer. Fight for a refund and go to an Apple store instead. Good luck!
That's the one!
Paul** is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:10 PM   #49
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul** View Post
Hi All, I apologise for the rant but this is making my blood boil and I wanted to tell people the story.
Sorry to hear your mum was ripped off by immoral and unethical people.
It is not a bad iPad, but a bad sales man causing the problem.

With the other suggestions, try contacting the most accessible Apple Store (weekday morning likely), get the manager and explain your predicament. Hopefully they can help you, perhaps arm twist the crooked seller to give refund?

Best of luck!
PracticalMac is offline   1
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:14 PM   #50
Paul**
macrumors newbie

Quote:
"I want the new iPad,"

"Oh, you mean the latest and greatest iPad 2, my friend?"

"I think so, I'm really not sure, that is the new iPad, right?"

"Yes, yes, my friend, the iPad 2, the latest and greatest! You want only the wifis? NO, you don't want just the wifis, you get the 3g it is best for holiday!"

"I dunno, my son said I'd only need the Wifi, 16gb model, New iPad"

"Yes, yes, my friend, the new iPad 2 with 3g, perfect for your holiday, only 449!"

"Ok, if thats what my son sent me here to get?"

"Yes it is perfect for you and holiday! Don't get the wifis, get 3G!"

Sorry to make light, I can just see how that went and I feel bad about the situation.
I reckon that was pretty much exactly how the conversation went!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
That seems horrible. I'm just curious why you didn't go to the store with your mother, or simply get it for her and have her pay you back. My family always leave me to do the technology shopping to avoid this type of ripping off. It's really hard for people that aren't tech savvy to know what is "up-to-date" and what is a rip off.

From your story, I just feel like this is a tragic, yet avoidable event. It sounds like she bought it under false pretence, but it's really your word versus their's. Anyway, I hope you resolve the problem and that you have learned a big life lesson from this experience.
You are 100% correct. When my Dad wanted to buy my Mum a MacBook Pro last year I bought it and he paid me back. I anticipated that if my Mum was going to get an ipad we'd go to the applestore together, I had no idea when she asked me which one she should get if she got an ipad that she would go out and buy it in the next couple of days. She's been going on about ipads for more than a year so i didn't see it as a particularly leading question. When i asked her why she hadn't waited til she next saw me she said that she thought it would be ok because she'd written down my recommendation.
Paul** is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad