Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:07 AM   #1
lokiju
macrumors 6502

Solved: Dynamic DNS Updater apps for ML?

I found a solution that works after much trial and error and searching.

The biggest issue I had was I have a paid domain and I want to update public DNS with my IP whenever it changes at home since I have cable company internet that doesn't have a static IP option.

I was prior using a Linksys router with DD-WRT firmware which could update directly to the DNS updater service I've used for ages called ZoneEdit.

Since the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule has not DNS updater function (anymore at least, looks like it used to) I figured the next best option was to run some app on my always on Mini to do the same function but everything I could find either was overly complicated, didn't support zoneedit or was outdated and wouldn't run on Mountain Lion.

I finally found this site http://dnsomatic.com/ which is a sort of in-between updater service, you send to them and then they send to the dynamic DNS updater service(s) of your choosing.

So I created an account and associated my zoneedit info then found a dated but functional client app that actually works on Mountain Lion called "DNS-O-Matic Updater". While the developers site for that app is down or gone, I was able to find it on Macupdate and the version they have hosted works fine. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/264...-matic-updater

I'll leave my original post below this just in case it helps someone else out in the future.

================================================
I haven't been able to find anything so far. I picked up a Time Capsule over the holidays on a great steal of a deal and now the one thing I no longer have the ability to do with my home router is update my home IP when the IP changes.

I've done some digging and it seems like nothing exist that I can find that actually works on Mountain Lion.

Does anyone know of any solution to this?

I'm specifically using ZoneEdit for DNS.

I have a Mini on at home 24/7 acting as a server so having an app that runs on it to update whenever there's a change would be fine.

Of course if I'm missing some way to get DNS updates through my Time Capsule, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by lokiju; Jan 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Found solution
lokiju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
lokiju
macrumors 6502

Found solution which I put in the OP just in case it helps others.
lokiju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:43 PM   #3
typ993
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to typ993
FYI, for ZoneEdit Mac users, dnsupdate.org appears to be kaput. To add insult to injury, ZoneEdit doesn't list any working dynamic DNS OS X updaters (dnsupdate.org appears to be the main supported client). My Netgear router doesn't have native support for ZoneEdit either.

Thanks to this post, I found the software mentioned in the post above, which appears to work fine on my ML install as well. Since DNS-o-matic is an OpenDNS service, I think the OpenDNS updater may work with DNS-o-matic too.
typ993 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
dns, zoneedit