Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1
HeyGreggie
macrumors 6502a

Maybe the iPad Mini NOT having Retina helps Distinguish it Vs. Big Ipad?

...Im curious to know from most of you all (this isn't some opinion I based off fact at all I'm sorry..)

But what if the ipad mini doesnt get retina in order to distinguish the gap between the mini, and it's big brother?

Dont get me wrong, I'm waiting for a retina screen ipad, but I've been reading other forums, including this one full of people like myself trying to hold out.. but would Apple actually go and make the mini RETINA, and have their customers torn? Especially when it's history that they lag behind on certain specs for newer models of things?

I just feel like the ipad mini will forever be behind and not MATCH the big one.. The big one will probably get A7... the mini will get A6, etc, but no retina.. but once again I'm no pro...

Anyone mind putting their thoughts on this?
HeyGreggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Does the Mini really need to be Retina? It already has a pretty decent PPI.

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?

Will you actually buy a Retina Minni? or will you agonize over what Apple might add next to the Mini if/when a Retina Mini comes out?

If you need it buy it. If not, don't worry about it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?

Will you actually buy a Retina Minni? or will you agonize over what Apple might add next to the Mini if/when a Retina Mini comes out?

If you need it buy it. If not, don't worry about it.
It's PPI is garbage. It's very pixelated. Yes I've used it. It's a noticeably crappy compared to the iPhone or iPad 3.

Really like the size and feel in hands though. Aiming for an iPad Mini 3-ish.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I feel it is pretty obvious the next mini will be: The New iPad Mini with Retina Display. It seems natural that by the end of this year or even next all Apple product lines (ok maybe not iPod nano) will tout this feature. It is becoming a brand recognition selling point for them.

If they keep the iPad Mini at the current resolution, or bump it up but not tout it as Retina display they are not keeping ahead of the Android competitors and what other selling feature could they tout on the next Mini other than being 2x faster because they can't really make it anymore thin or light.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?...
I would say yes, because browser text is smaller on the Mini and Retina would help that.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
flavr
macrumors 6502

"PIXELATED"? Lets keep in mind people that the gorgeous 27inch imac has only 109 ppi while the ipad mini has 163 ppi

I returned my iPad 4 for my mini, the screen looks good to me! Its not retina good but very good none the less, and i certainly wouldn't call it pixelated. retina is nice but not a must have for me...Id rather have more RAM but thats a different thread all together...meanwhile, im enjoying the heck out of my mini

Last edited by flavr; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
"PIXELATED"? Lets keep in mind people that the gorgeous 27inch imac has only 109 ppi while the ipad mini has 163 pp...
I sit further away from my MBP than I do my iPad and I can still see that the text is a bit pixelated. If Apple releases a Retina iMac, text on the regular screen will look pixelated by comparison.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I sit further away from my MBP than I do my iPad and I can still see that the text is a bit pixelated. If Apple releases a Retina iMac, text on the regular screen will look pixelated by comparison.
Just because something that looks good is eclipsed by something that looks great doesn't make what looked good look any less good than it did before...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just because something that looks good is eclipsed by something that looks great doesn't make what looked good look any less good than it did before...
Fine, then it shouldn't carry the premium price that should only be associated with something great.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:08 AM   #10
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
No, but pixelated is still pixelated.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:28 AM   #11
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. the screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any iPad, which isnt going to happen
LeeM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Bokes
macrumors 6502

IMO - A retina screen is the only feature missing.
What else could they possibly add to make it a must have?
A better chip? Who cares. Not sexy enough.
It will get the better screen.
It needs retina more than you think.
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13
EmmEff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem View Post
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. The screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any ipad, which isnt going to happen
+1
EmmEff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:40 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face.
Yes it is, and no I dont.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:56 AM   #15
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. the screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any iPad, which isnt going to happen
Agreed, I think the screen looks great.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Piccio
macrumors member

It's something that you only notice with iPad 3/4 and iPad Mini side by side, otherwise the iPad Mini resolution and PPI are good enough.

Not that bad like iPad 2 was.
Piccio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:04 PM   #17
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

when i put my phone down and went back to my ipad 2 it was noticeable. whereas its jut not with the mini
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad