Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Dealing with CL scammer?

I sold this guy a Windows 7 laptop last week. Everything was fine, he gave me the cash. He looked over it for a good 20 minutes, checked it, said ok. Signed a bill of sale explicitly saying "as-is."

I get an email the next day saying that the hard drive is smaller than it should be. This is ridiculous because he checked it and the correct one was in there when he purchased it. I ignored it.

Next day, he says that the windows 7 install on the computer is saying that it isn't genuine. Also ridiculous because I activated it using the sticker on the bottom. And it was perfect when I gave it to them. A simple google search revealed its a common issue when you install anti-virus etc. Tons of ways to fix this.

Then I get an email saying that "I have to meet him or he will find me to get this settled"

Sounds like a bunch of crap. I'm not here to fix stuff he screwed up or give him a refund on something he switched out (hard drive)

Do I tell him to **** off?
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Why would you be harsh with the guy? You have the documentation that shows you're in the right, everything is exactly as you described it, and he had the opportunity to look it over himself before making the purchase.

I would just tell him plainly what you've told us here, and based on that information the sale is final. No need to get snarky with him; that won't lead to anything productive.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Why would you be harsh with the guy?
You have a good point, but why should I be nice to him when he is basically threatening me?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
You have a good point, but why should I be nice to him when he is basically threatening me?
Because you don't always have to be a jerk when somebody is a jerk to you. That usually just escalates the issue and both people start getting into feelings arguments instead of factual arguments. Being nicer can deescalate.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
What threat? You ignored his first email. If he wants to contact you, the next logical step is to meet you in person again. That isn't a threat; if you had a product you wanted to return to a store, and they didn't answer your phone call, wouldn't you go into the store next?

You're going to have a much better outcome here if you're civil than if you're nasty. That's just how the world is. It's human nature.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

It sounds like your inaction resulted in his action towards you or threat of action. It's silly that you ignored his e-mail when it takes all of one minute to respond. You have all of the tools to tell him to go away, just find a nice way of telling him that he looked over the machine and everything was fine, he signed a bill of sale, and that is it. No need to be all self-righteous about it.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Additionally you could attempt to find out the misunderstanding. He says the hard drive is smaller than advertised. Is it because you said it was 500GB but it's only 492 and he doesn't know that's normal? Is it because there is stuff installed on the drive and he's only reading the free space?

Same with the genuine windows stuff... it'll probably take you a trivial amount of time to sort it out and everybody is happy.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Additionally you could attempt to find out the misunderstanding. He says the hard drive is smaller than advertised. Is it because you said it was 500GB but it's only 492 and he doesn't know that's normal? Is it because there is stuff installed on the drive and he's only reading the free space?
It was a 320gb hard drive. He confirmed this while buying. He sends me an email saying it has an 80gb HDD in it. That's crazy.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9
2020mike
macrumors 6502

I'd just re confirm with him that he checked it out prior to paying and signed a bill of sale after he was satisfied. If he persists well then tough tinsel.
2020mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
I sold this g.....

... snip ...

Here:

Nice way to deal with Scammer.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #11
turaco
macrumors member

Quote:
It was a 320gb hard drive. He confirmed this while buying. He sends me an email saying it has an 80gb HDD in it. That's crazy.
The guy is obviously regretting he bought the laptop for whatever reason....however it is unacceptable for a guy to threaten you, especially in writing. You don't owe the guy anything, he checked out the item thoroughly, bought it, signed the bill of sale.

You don't have to give him a refund if you don't want to, plus who knows what he did to the laptop.

If he continues to threaten you file a report with the police, it is simply unacceptable to act that way. And so what if you did not respond to his first email, we have busy lives....why did he immediately assume you were ignoring him?

I have been selling and buying a lot of stuff over the years and just recently sold a windows 7 laptop. A craigslist deal is a final deal, unless you buy at a store.
turaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by turaco View Post
The guy is obviously regretting he bought the laptop for whatever reason....however it is unacceptable for a guy to threaten you, especially in writing. You don't owe the guy anything, he checked out the item thoroughly, bought it, signed the bill of sale.

You don't have to give him a refund if you don't want to, plus who knows what he did to the laptop.

If he continues to threaten you file a report with the police, it is simply unacceptable to act that way. And so what if you did not respond to his first email, we have busy lives....why did he immediately assume you were ignoring him?

I have been selling and buying a lot of stuff over the years and just recently sold a windows 7 laptop. A craigslist deal is a final deal, unless you buy at a store.
Or, he took out the HD and put in his old HD.

Craigslist is good for some things, but I shy away from electronic transactions for many reasons.
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM   #13
jstnlzr
macrumors regular

It is "as-is" tell him if he keeps threatning you, you will go to the police.
jstnlzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion