Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have a 240gb ssd, Monster Digital ssd, I had the drive almost filled to the end and then decided to move files to an external drive, so deleted like 175gb.

I have a 2012 Base 13 MBP, with ML

Problem is when I went to put a boot camp partition on, the disk utility was stating only 20 gb free even though there is nearly 190gb free?

Anyone know why this is happening? I never had this issue with an HDD

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I have a 240gb ssd, Monster Digital ssd, I had the drive almost filled to the end and then decided to move files to an external drive, so deleted like 175gb.

I have a 2012 Base 13 MBP, with ML

Problem is when I went to put a boot camp partition on, the disk utility was stating only 20 gb free even though there is nearly 190gb free?

Anyone know why this is happening? I never had this issue with an HDD

I believe that's because when you set up bootcamp you only partitioned 20GB for bootcamp to run on, regardless of how much total there actually is.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I believe that's because when you set up bootcamp you only partitioned 20GB for bootcamp to run on, regardless of how much total there actually is.

it was setup for 32GB, however it was running, then I had some issues, removed the partition, did a repair and repair of permissions, then when I tried to redo the boot camp partition, I noticed the space was not showing as free in disk utility, however doing a command I, it would show the 190 gb free, it is really odd.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Do you have TimeMachine turned on? it does some mobile backups that DON'T show the space as being used in CMD-I but DO show it under system information.... have a look in terminal at: sudo du -H /.MobileBackups/
can remove them too sudo rm -rf /.MobileBackups/*.*

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Do you have TimeMachine turned on? it does some mobile backups that DON'T show the space as being used in CMD-I but DO show it under system information.... have a look in terminal at: sudo du -H /.MobileBackups/
can remove them too sudo rm -rf /.MobileBackups/*.*

Time machine has run but this is not my issue, I had nearly 200GB of data, then I wiped a huge amount off, but the boot camp is still telling me there is not enough space on the sad to create a 32GB partition, when in fact there is 140GB free. I tried everything, then decided to back it all up and rebuild the drive from scratch and reload everything all over, and it worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.