Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Held Without Retrial for 11,800 Days, Texas Inmate Still Waits for Justice

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ustice/266865/

Quote:
Hartfield is a black man from Kansas who was quickly convicted in 1977 of murdering a white woman in the Deep South. He is a man who once recorded an IQ of 51, which is far beneath the level at which courts recognize mental retardation in criminal defendants. He is the inmate who remains locked in a Texas prison 32 years -- 11,800 days -- after a state appeals court reversed his murder conviction and ordered that he be given a new trial, a new trial he has never received. He is the prisoner who has continued to sit in a cell while state and federal judges, and state attorneys, piddle over the technicalities of his case.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I saw this one a day or so ago. Granted, it's only by a technicality (and not new or previously inadmissible evidence) that he was granted a new trial, but come on already - the state is WAY overdue on giving it to him.

I suspect that after thirty years or so much of the evidence has been lost and several witnesses might be hard to track down, and the state might be worried about him being acquitted this time. They should have bucked up and given him the new trial when it was ordered.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues