Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Sync iPad with iTunes - Already Set Up iPad

Purchased my first iPad today, and so far it's awesome, and I've barely scratched the surface. Ran into a MAJOR issue, though. I set up my iPad the way I wanted it by simply downloading my apps from the iTunes Store and using iCloud. I have a couple apps where I need to connect my iPad to my MBP to add the content (specifically VLC [from the App Store before it was banned] and Comic Flow), but when I do it asks me to set up my new iPad as new or from a backup.

What gives? I never had a problem like this with my iPhone 4S, even though I mostly set it up the same exact way. I don't remember exactly what I did in the setup process for my iPhone, but I did get it past the setup screen and I don't recall setting it up again as a new device. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way around this? For the most part, I won't need to connect my iPad to iTunes. I might want to put music on it every now and then, though I have a 32 GB iPod Touch dedicated to that purpose. Other than VLC and Comic Flow, I pretty much will be running this iPad without iTunes.

Last edited by iThinkergoiMac; Jan 10, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Yeah, it's confusing. I forget what you have to click, I *think* you click set up as new, and then it tells you it is already set up instead of making you set it up again. But it's been a while since I did this, so I"m not positive. I just remember thinking, wow, that's really counterintuitive.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Hmmm, that would be odd. I think I'll wait for some others to respond as I'd prefer not to lose my setup accidentally. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Did you backup to iCloud? If you did, then you can restore from iCloud if something goes wrong.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:44 PM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

That's true. It's backing up tonight, so I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Update: it is just as Night Spring said, just set up the iPad as a new iPad. It skipped any kind of setup and just went right to the normal screen.

Apple, take note: this is bass ackwards...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Glad to hear it worked, Apple really needs to fix this!
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:05 PM   #8
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Seriously. I was still expecting it to get erased and have to spend hours setting it back up!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad