Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:21 AM   #1
gowanis
macrumors 6502

Clicking twice to gain focus

One of the annoyances in the Mac OS (compared to Windows) is how you must click twice when switching to another application. For example, I must click on Safari, and then click again to click a hyperlink. In Windows I was able to do it all in one click (transition to new application and click on link). Is this something I can adjust in settings, or is it just inherent in the OS ?
gowanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Where or how do you click on Safari?
And how can one transition AND click on a link in Windows with one link? I never came upon such behaviour?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
gowanis
macrumors 6502

If you hover over a window in Windows OS focus shifts to that window (without clicking), so my first click on the link executes that link. In Safari, my first click brings focus to the Safari application, and then I have to click the hyperlink again to go to the web page.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:47 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanis View Post
If you hover over a window in Windows OS focus shifts to that window (without clicking), so my first click on the link executes that link. In Safari, my first click brings focus to the Safari application, and then I have to click the hyperlink again to go to the web page.
Ah, I understand. As Mac OS X has a Menu Bar on top and not in every window like Windows does, such behaviour, called "follow-focus" (not to be confused with something like this though), would be confusing.
However, someone wrote a software a while back to have a similar behaviour in Mac OS X, as far as I remember, I have used it for a day or two some years ago (does not seem to have been updated for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) and it was annoying, but then again, I never used "follow-focus" in Windows 5.0 or Windows 5.1 (if it was even in it back then).
Anyway, here is the application: http://www.atomicbird.com/mondomouse
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
gowanis
macrumors 6502

Thanks, its not a major problem for me, was just curious if it was something that could be adjusted in the OS settings. There are a few things that still bug me in the Mac OS, but overall I don't miss Windows at all.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanis View Post
Thanks, its not a major problem for me, was just curious if it was something that could be adjusted in the OS settings. There are a few things that still bug me in the Mac OS, but overall I don't miss Windows at all.
You could use CMD+TAB to switch between applications, or Exposé (which would introduce another set of clicks though).

Anyway, if you haven't looked at this yet, maybe it can help eliminating some bugs:
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion