Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
chuuchhackz
macrumors newbie

HDV and Timecode breaks

Hello! I hope someone out there can assist me - I've been searching google and doing some trial and error, but cannot find a solution.

I have HDV video that I'm trying to capture into FCP 7. The footage has timecode breaks in it, some longer than others. I'd love to FCP to just gloss over them, ala capturing DV footage, but it seems it cannot.

Re-recording is not an option as the client doesn't want to pay for the additional work. The capture itself is a byproduct of the videographer not remembering to compress live on site.

Thanks for any help you might have!
Additional info - capturing to a FW800 drive, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7 with 16GB ram - HDV coming from Sony HVR 1500

Thank you!
chuuchhackz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuchhackz View Post
Hello! I hope someone out there can assist me - I've been searching google and doing some trial and error, but cannot find a solution.

I have HDV video that I'm trying to capture into FCP 7. The footage has timecode breaks in it, some longer than others. I'd love to FCP to just gloss over them, ala capturing DV footage, but it seems it cannot.

Re-recording is not an option as the client doesn't want to pay for the additional work. The capture itself is a byproduct of the videographer not remembering to compress live on site.

Thanks for any help you might have!
Additional info - capturing to a FW800 drive, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7 with 16GB ram - HDV coming from Sony HVR 1500

Thank you!
The only option is to set your project as HDV, open the capture tool, go to the Clip Settings tab in the capture tool and uncheck "create new clip on start/stop". That doesn't always work though so you might be stuck with a bunch of clips. The compression on HDV is much different than for DV and I think that's why HDV seems more prone to 'breaks' on tape than than other formats.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Chad3eleven
macrumors regular

what do you mean timecode breaks are longer then others? Meaning the black spaces between the clips, or the jump in the time is differernt?

Was the camera set to free run? so that every start and stop would result in jumping code, as opposed to linear code across the stops.

Perhaps you turn off deck control, and just roll in the video as 1 or 2 (or 5 ) clips.

Is having TC intact important? Do you have access to another camera or deck where you cut dump the footage to a new tape, with congruent code, then capture?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Richardthe4th
macrumors regular

if all above doesn't work, try connecting your deck to a breakout box (matrox/aja/blackmagic) with component and analog audio; let the deck play and capture the stream from the box
Richardthe4th is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:03 AM   #5
kokako
macrumors regular

grab apples FirewireSDK26 (it's free via apple developer) use the one of the apps inside that sdk CAPDV to import just the entire HDV transport stream then awhi

Last edited by kokako; Jan 9, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
kokako is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video