Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuuchhackz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Hello! I hope someone out there can assist me - I've been searching google and doing some trial and error, but cannot find a solution.

I have HDV video that I'm trying to capture into FCP 7. The footage has timecode breaks in it, some longer than others. I'd love to FCP to just gloss over them, ala capturing DV footage, but it seems it cannot.

Re-recording is not an option as the client doesn't want to pay for the additional work. The capture itself is a byproduct of the videographer not remembering to compress live on site.

Thanks for any help you might have!
Additional info - capturing to a FW800 drive, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7 with 16GB ram - HDV coming from Sony HVR 1500

Thank you!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Hello! I hope someone out there can assist me - I've been searching google and doing some trial and error, but cannot find a solution.

I have HDV video that I'm trying to capture into FCP 7. The footage has timecode breaks in it, some longer than others. I'd love to FCP to just gloss over them, ala capturing DV footage, but it seems it cannot.

Re-recording is not an option as the client doesn't want to pay for the additional work. The capture itself is a byproduct of the videographer not remembering to compress live on site.

Thanks for any help you might have!
Additional info - capturing to a FW800 drive, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7 with 16GB ram - HDV coming from Sony HVR 1500

Thank you!
The only option is to set your project as HDV, open the capture tool, go to the Clip Settings tab in the capture tool and uncheck "create new clip on start/stop". That doesn't always work though so you might be stuck with a bunch of clips. The compression on HDV is much different than for DV and I think that's why HDV seems more prone to 'breaks' on tape than than other formats.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
what do you mean timecode breaks are longer then others? Meaning the black spaces between the clips, or the jump in the time is differernt?

Was the camera set to free run? so that every start and stop would result in jumping code, as opposed to linear code across the stops.

Perhaps you turn off deck control, and just roll in the video as 1 or 2 (or 5 ) clips.

Is having TC intact important? Do you have access to another camera or deck where you cut dump the footage to a new tape, with congruent code, then capture?

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
if all above doesn't work, try connecting your deck to a breakout box (matrox/aja/blackmagic) with component and analog audio; let the deck play and capture the stream from the box

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
grab apples FirewireSDK26 (it's free via apple developer) use the one of the apps inside that sdk CAPDV to import just the entire HDV transport stream then awhi

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.