Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
13rutal
macrumors newbie

Are Apple products cheaper in Hong Kong?

I have a plan to go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering from the previous similar thread if Apple products are cheaper in HK. Anyone have ever had an experience buying one in HK? Is it really cheaper? Or is it just a currency difference?
13rutal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rutal View Post
I have a plan to go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering from the previous similar thread if Apple products are cheaper in HK. Anyone have ever had an experience buying one in HK? Is it really cheaper? Or is it just a currency difference?
A base high-end MBA sells for HK11,488 ($1482 USD). The same sells for $1499 in the US.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
tgif1386
macrumors newbie

The only price difference I can think of is the sales tax. HK has no sales tax.
tgif1386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

It is cheaper. At the very least you are not paying any tax as mentioned, but not all model (ram, storage) requirement maybe stocked, and with the proper AC plug (ez enuff to replace).
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #5
seble
macrumors 6502a

It's worth noting though that if you're a brit, Hong Kong uses the same plugs as we do
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Asia8
macrumors member

You may use this is a guide:

http://store.apple.com/hk

http://www.apple.com/hk/en/

Asking if prices is cheaper also has a complication... cheaper than where?
Asia8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rutal View Post
Keep in mind, there's another thread of this nature going on. You are supposed to report all items you bought aboard and are bringing back to your country. It might be a little cheaper there due to no sales tax and a few "saved" dollars as there is less shipping. Though keep in mind, the stronger the dollar is as you come closer to your trip the "cheaper" the computer will be as you will be able to "buy" more of the Chinese currency.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia8 View Post
Asking if prices is cheaper also has a complication... cheaper than where?

Splitting hair?

It's well known Apple offers no discounts, except a small educational, and there are no Apple "Grey" markets.

Hong Kong is known to be a "shopping haven." Merchandises pass through HK without tariff.

Without checking with the United Nations, am pretty sure buying a MB in Hong Kong cannot be beat. If ur already making a trip that is, and not doing this specifically to bring back ONE laptop.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
robvas
macrumors 68000

Do they sell them with the same keyboards and power cords etc as they do in the US?
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:48 AM   #10
Asia8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Splitting hair?

It's well known Apple offers no discounts, except a small educational, and there are no Apple "Grey" markets.

Hong Kong is known to be a "shopping haven." Merchandises pass through HK without tariff.

Without checking with the United Nations, am pretty sure buying a MB in Hong Kong cannot be beat. If ur already making a trip that is, and not doing this specifically to bring back ONE laptop.
Splitting what hair?

Well you see, I live right next to Hong Kong and go there every couple of months, I don't know what the prices are elsewhere and while I know the prices in HK are very competitive I have no idea on the prices in other countries that I don't frequent. I therefore dare not claim that Hong Kong is cheaper than "location X" as I honestly don't know.

Perhaps Hong Kong is the cheapest, but I've not personally bothered to go country by country checking. The price difference between the Mac Air lower model is only about $60 between HK and US, and that could easily change with exchange rates.

I simply choose not to make any assumption and to give the facts that I can at the time of posting. That without knowing his/her country I can't say whether it's cheaper or not, and then including a link to the actual prices in HK.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Do they sell them with the same keyboards and power cords etc as they do in the US?
In Hong Kong you can get both the Hong Kong style charger and the Chinese style charger (2 vertical prongs I believe, though China also has a 1 vertical and 2 tilted prongs type).

They may have others, although I'm not certain
Asia8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:42 AM   #11
ARSkemp
macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that the MBA also comes with a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if there would be any issues if you had a problem and needed to take it to an Apple Store not located in Hong Kong.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air