Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

How long do you leave your MacBook plugged in?

I just recently put together an external display setup for my macbook air. It works fine in clamshell mode, but I wonder what to do when my macbook reaches 100%?

1) How safe is it to just leave the macbook charging at 100% in clamshell mode while I continue with my work?

2) Should I disconnect the power and move to dual-display (macbook+external monitor) instead?

What are your habits with regards to this issue? Thanks all.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2
harlex
macrumors member

You should exercise the battery at least every month or so. The battery needs conditioning to keep it in peak performance. To do this use it on battery until you are told it needs charging and then give it a good charge.

Leaving the laptop plugged in is not a problem.
harlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I just recently put together an external display setup for my macbook air. It works fine in clamshell mode, but I wonder what to do when my macbook reaches 100%?

1) How safe is it to just leave the macbook charging at 100% in clamshell mode while I continue with my work?

2) Should I disconnect the power and move to dual-display (macbook+external monitor) instead?

What are your habits with regards to this issue? Thanks all.
Curious.

Will it work unplugged? I use the exact same setup and without power it will not drive the external display.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Curious.

Will it work unplugged? I use the exact same setup and without power it will not drive the external display.
There is currently no way to turn off the macbook's screen. When I close the screen to enter clamshell mode, it has to be plugged in or nothing will appear on my display.

I can however, open my macbook's screen and leave the screen on without needing to plug it in. Battery drops quickly, however, and I don't want to be in a scenario where I need to leave with my laptop and it is running low on juice.

Thus, I am searching for a solution where I don't need to be actively managing my laptop's charging schedule.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:36 AM   #5
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Curious.

AFAIK, clamshell mode only works when the Magsafe is plugged in unless there are secret settings you can toggle via Terminal or something. I don't think it will be an issue, as long as you use it portably once in a while. Power management and battery conditioning has advanced light years since the PowerBook days. I've put 696 cycles on my Air's battery in a little over a year and I'm still looking at 88% health and 4-5 hours of life on a single charge.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thus, I am searching for a solution where I don't need to be actively managing my laptop's charging schedule.
No. That would like like hiring an assistant but you constantly have to tell her what to do.

Like the other guy says, once-a-month (more or less, no need to be annal), you let it run down all the way to single digit, ur good.

If u can't do that, the Air is plugged it, it's stationary all the time, attached to your external monitor. My attitude is, so I need to replace the battery every 500 cycles instead of its normal 800-1000, so what?, I will pay for the convenience. If you can afford a Mac, you are not that poor.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #7
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I keep it plugged in all the time unless I want to watch a TV show or movie on my bed and I'l unplug it for an hour. Or if I take it to school and won't be using it for more than a couple of hours. I've only had it for a little over 2 weeks though so I'll probably give it some good usage soon so the battery drains to below 50%.

In about 2.5 weeks of usage I have 4 cycles used. I'm guessing most people use more than that in that time span?
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Amad3U5
macrumors member

Quote:
There is currently no way to turn off the macbook's screen.
Actually, yes there is a way. Here's what I do:
1: In System Preferences, go "Desktop and Screensaver" >> "Hot Corners".
2: Open the menu indicating the top right corner of the screen.
3: Hold "Command" while clicking "Turn off display".

So whenever I want to turn off the display but keep the machine running, I just hold command then move my cursor to the top right of the screen. Works every time, but never happens accidentally.
Amad3U5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air