Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam235

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
CA
Hello All :)
I am currently studying Software Engineering in College, and taking Graphic design courses for fun, and I always use my laptop, so a laptop is a must, my laptop is always with me at all times, weight and size of the laptop are not really an issue,

I use my computer for:
-Programming
-Web Design
-Documents
-Mild Graphic Design (for Fun and Practice)
-Multi-Tasking
-General Stuff(Music, Email, Watching Movies, Skype Etc....
What i need:
-Laptop
-A lot of ram because i like to multi task and to keep programs open

In my country not a lot of people use Macs therefore selling a used Mac is kind of hard so i cant sell and upgrade very often, usually money is not a problem but I don't think that buying a 2k laptop each 2 years is a very smart choice...
Now for my Question:
Which Macbook Pro is most suitable for my needs??
and Based of my needs how often should i upgrade(Bases on your answer of the 1st question)
i was thinking like a 2k Macbook pro for 4 years or a 1k Macbook pro for 2 years..?
Your Opinions are much appreciated

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
I am currently studying Software Engineering in College, and taking Graphic design courses for fun, and I always use my laptop, so a laptop is a must, my laptop is always with me at all times, weight and size of the laptop are not really an issue,

I use my computer for:
-Programming
-Web Design
-Documents
-Multi-Tasking
What i need:
-Laptop

In my country not a lot of people use Macs therefore selling a used Mac is kind of hard so i cant sell and upgrade very often, usually money is not a problem but I don't think that buying a 2k laptop each 2 years is a very smart choice...
Now for my Question:
and Based of my needs how often should i upgrade(Bases on your answer of the 1st question)
i was thinking like a 2k Macbook pro for 4 years or a 1k Macbook pro for 2 years..?

My lower-end at the time MacBook is 4 years old and still going strong. It was 1399 US in 2008. It runs everything I throw at it and I do everything you've listed. If you can afford the higher end laptop go for it but the lower end might do you just fine and last more than 2 years. Good luck.

Mr Lightning

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
London

I use my computer for:
-Programming
-Web Design
-Documents
-Multi-Tasking
What i need:
-Laptop

Now for my Question:

Based upon your usage I personally would suggest a late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" even the 2.2 GHz model (which I currently own). I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB the minute I bought this laptop and find it hard to max out and make use of it all, doing pretty much what you stated above (Skype, 10+ tas open in Safari, E-mail, word processor, watching movies, as well as downloading YouTube videos).

I have also removed the optical drive and replaced it with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, which has made a huge impact on overall multi-tasking speeds. I would suggest with the falling prices of SSD, that if you do purchase a 2011 model and you spend the money on getting 2 x 8GB RAM sticks and either a 128/256/512GB SSD. You could keep the stock hard drive in as a on-the-go backup solution if your SSD every fails (You never know!).

In conclusion, with the introduction of the retina display and 2012 models, the late 2011 MacBook Pro as well as falling pricing SSD/HD/RAM prices make the choice pretty clear to me.

Hope this helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.