Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
As a Public Service, I've created this for comments/reviews--including open discussion of plot, details, and spoilers--by people who HAVE seen the movie... leaving the other thread spoiler-free if people prefer. Take it or leave it :) If there's a better way to handle this, mod away! :)

My motivation? I haven't seen it yet...

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW. Entire movie will be ruined for you, and you will have 7 years bad luck. Now don't say you weren't warned. :)

PS, feel free to adopt my temporary Serenity avatar. Or this simpler one:
av-1.gif

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Spoilers to follow read no further if you wish to be surprised by this movie. Since the entire reason for this thread is to keep spoilers out of the other thread I feel no need to utilize white text.

Obviously I've seen it. Took some time and played hooky form work with one of my co-workers and my wife.

Random Rants (spoilers within (consider this your final warning))

They did a great job keeping the humor of the series and I found myself thoroughly happy with the movie.

I can't believe they killed Wash. Book I can understand a little more but Wash was always one of my favorites. Of course this could explain why Tudyk and Glass were the last of the original cast to sign on to do the movie (they may have had advance scripts), or possibly their punishment for not getting on board early enough.

For awhile I thought they were going to take out the entire crew at the end and kill any chance for a sequel. I can now see a story arc for another couple movies where the Browncoats re-organize and start the war with the Alliance in the next one, and the conclusion of the war in the third. Of course Kaylee and Simon finally hook up but Inara and Mal are still up in the air.

I am a bit disappointed in the fact that since they are trying to cram so much plot into the 2 hours that they don't have enough time to really develop characters as much as would be allowed with a continuing series. But it was good enough to stand on it's own and should be able to have a solid weekend opening. Considering the choice is not between a series and the movie, but the movie or nothing, I'm glad that they did a good job on the movie to hopefully get a sequel or 2 to tie off the other loose ends if they choose to.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Just got back from seeing it... it was really good (so much so that I *will* be seeing it again at least once more). All the humor was there, thought the storyline was actually pretty good. LOVED Kaylee's line about how she hasn't had any for over a year... at least, not any that doesn't run on batteries. Mal's response to that was priceless.

Sorry to see Wash and Book die, but I'm guessing that Alan Tudyk might not have wanted to end up in the same boat as Walter Koenig and George Takei... and Book was a bit superfluous. Besides, now he can come back a la Obi-Wan Kenobi in the sequel. :)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
oh my god it was so so so so so so so so so awesome, i am seeing it again tomorrow night. Best movie i have seen in a long time. in my opinion it was so true to the story, my god it was awesome.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Haven't see the show, so I can't exactly comment on the movie's truthfulness to it, but just as a movie, it was AWESOME. honestly. Hell of cool action, funny one-liners, a cool story line and neat special effects... what isn't to like.

The bar scene was honestly one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a really long time- I can not get over her kicking a bottle off the bar and knocking a guy out.

That was definitely one of the few movies I'd be willing to pay to see in theaters a second time.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I just made two random serenity backgrounds (1680X1050) they are both of the ship Serenity, if you want one just shoot me an email PM or IM and i can make one for you.

But for now i must finish watching firefly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Great movie and I've only seen a few of the shows. I'm hoping they do more - although I'm a bit surprised the assassin caved at the last moment and let them live - true, for a continuation it had to happen - but they didn't really need that part. River had killed all the Reavers and they could have managed to get out of there without Alliance getting involved.

Besides, it could have left it open for the assassin to work with them in the future - actually I was thinking that at the end he was going to get on board with them since things were no longer right with the his universe.

Side question - why are all the text and graphics in Chinese/Japanese/Korean - the only english was on the side of the Rescue Ship on Miranda and Serenity's logo.

And with all that cultural influence, where are all the Chinese/Japanese/Koreans?

D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Mr. Anderson said:
Side question - why are all the text and graphics in Chinese/Japanese/Korean - the only english was on the side of the Rescue Ship on Miranda and Serenity's logo.

And with all that cultural influence, where are all the Chinese/Japanese/Koreans?
I read somewhere that the official name of the Alliance is something like the "Anglo-Sino Alliance"... Whedon's idea being that in the future, the dominant nations on Earth (which would then translate into dominance in space) would be the US and China. And since the Chinese are traditionally a culture of discipline and obedience, they'd be more likely to be concentrated in the Alliance planets, and less likely to be scattered out on the rim where our heroes usually find themselves.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
clayj said:
I read somewhere that the official name of the Alliance is something like the "Anglo-Sino Alliance"... Whedon's idea being that in the future, the dominant nations on Earth (which would then translate into dominance in space) would be the US and China. And since the Chinese are traditionally a culture of discipline and obedience, they'd be more likely to be concentrated in the Alliance planets, and less likely to be scattered out on the rim where our heroes usually find themselves.

Why would Anglo-Sino mean US and China? The China bit yeah, but the Anglo bit comes from the Angles who were inhabitants of Britain before the Saxon invasion.

Should be something like the Yankee-Sino Alliance or the Seppo-Sino Alliance. Hmmm.... that last one has a good ring to it.

I haven't seen Firefly (had barely even heard of it - thought they were talking about an Aussie series dealing with firefighters) am not much of a fan of Joss Whedon especially Buffy which I thought was good every now and then but generally mediocre. Question is, would I enjoy this movie? Is it good enough to stand on it's own as a piece of cinema and not rely on the back story of a TV series and the supposed reputation of it's creator? Haven't been to the flicks in a while and I'm trying to find one to go to - currently number one is Wallace and Grommit.

What do you reckon?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It more than manages to stand by itself without knowing the background or having seen the series. I had only seen 1 1/2 shows before seeing this and I'm looking forward to getting the series on DVD now.

D

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
clayj said:

In one of the extra features on the Firefly DVD set he goes into it a bit as well. Mainly to explain the swearing and why it was always done in Chinese. Fun way to get around the sensors. I thought they might try subtitling them in the movies, but I'm happier that they kept it like the series, although I wish I knew Chinese.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
atszyman said:
In one of the extra features on the Firefly DVD set he goes into it a bit as well. Mainly to explain the swearing and why it was always done in Chinese. Fun way to get around the sensors. I thought they might try subtitling them in the movies, but I'm happier that they kept it like the series, although I wish I knew Chinese.

I'm going to have to get that now....

And its scary to think that the Chinese might be a power in space....

D

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Reaver Madness!

Wow! Better than I expected! A VERY refreshing change from recent sci-fi movies.

And happily, the trailers weren't spoilers after all, they were mainly misdirection! (Come on, that was Earth in the trailers, I swear!) Everything the trailers truly gave away was in the movie's first 60 seconds anyway.

When I saw the fleets facing off in the trailers, I totally expected some kind of new rebellion in the movie--not very original, and not true to Mal's "live on the outside edge" style. I'm so much happier with what really happened.

Now I'm bumping Firefly to the top of my Netflix queue :)

atszyman said:
For awhile I thought they were going to take out the entire crew at the end and kill any chance for a sequel.
No kidding. Hand it to Joss Whedon--again and again he has made me BELIEVE there is no hope for the protagonists! I cringed to see Serenity smashed to pieces, and then when Wash died... all bets were off. I was ready to believe that most if not all of the characters were going to die.

atszyman said:
...they don't have enough time to really develop characters as much as would be allowed with a continuing series.
Very true. We who watched Firefly KNOW what's between Mal and Inara, and between Kaylee and Simon, and between the Shepherd and everyone else. But without that depth (which no movie could have, not for every character) the movie is still really good. I'd have no hesitation recommending it to non-Firefly-fans.

comictimes said:
Haven't see the show, so I can't exactly comment on the movie's truthfulness to it, but just as a movie, it was AWESOME.
Good to hear an "outsider's" view! And I can comment on the movie's truthfulness to the show: 100%. If you liked Serenity, run out and watch the hours of fun that came before it. Nothing from the show was contradicted or changed to make the movie. Even the ship itself is essentially identical. The story fits nicely after the conclusion of the show, with a little flashbacking for explanation. But not redundant flashbacking: it tells bits of the backstory that we never got to see on Firefly.

Mr. Anderson said:
why are all the text and graphics in Chinese/Japanese/Korean ... And with all that cultural influence, where are all the Chinese/Japanese/Koreans?
The ruling superpower is the Inglo-Sino Alliance (named from the languages I guess, not the nations). We don't know exactly how this all came about, but the phrase "Earth-That-Was" tells us it wasn't pretty.

Everyone in the new society--from the wealthy to the poor--is bilingual, regardless of racial background. One of the premises of the show. They often slip into Chinese at stressful moments--handy for swearing on TV. (unless your children speak Chinese!) Along with that, Chinese cultural influences are prominent--along with many others. And in the commentary of the DVDs, they explain how one thing they did intentionally was to give Asian-sounding surnames to many characters no matter what their actual background. The obvious example: Simon and River Tam.

Bottom line--the future is a strange place, and we're not exactly sure how that cultural combination came to be. But it's an interesting vision--especially when merged with the frontier/western theme.

Misc. comments:

* The "downtime" in the show--playing games in the hold, fixing some nasty canned space rations in the kitchen, etc.--was missing. The movie was all action. That was a fine choice for the movie, just something I noticed. You didn't have as much of a sense of Serenity as a "home" unless you watched Firefly.

* Music: not yet another contemporary rock score like the trailers used (much as I like Kasabian). Instead, they used a lot of the same Western/Chinese hybrid style as the show's music. Excellent.

* I would have liked to see Jubal Early return, but the Operative was fun in his own way.

* I like the new Mule :)

* Book dead??? Wash .... dead.... ??? That's Joss Whedon for you. He keeps you nervous because you know he WILL kill anyone, with OR without dramatic buildup. Wash got basically the same death as Tara. Ouch. But both deaths serve a purpose. I know Wash's death heightened the feeling of hopeless doom a lot.

* Did they ever mention what Inara actually does? Or is that not PG-13? ;)

* Will we ever get to solve the mystery of the Shepherd's past now?

* So River's a Slayer? :p That's OK, it's a fun character to have on board.

* Reaver Madness! What a great thing to do with the Reaver concept. I never really thought the Reavers would have any deep plot significance--just a mindless peril to be avoided. Now I'm thinking Joss may have planned more for the Reavers all along. And dressing Serenity up as a Reaver ship? How cool (and disturbing) is that?

I like that the Reavers were never seen directly on Firefly--and hardly seen in the movie. Makes them even scarier. And what made the scary on the show was that EVERYONE was afraid of them--even people who were'nt sure they were real. Mention "Reavers" and NOBODY thinks "stand and fight." You just run. Then, in the movie... watch the Operative's face when he sees the Reavers arrive. That's right--no matter who you are, you're afraid of Reavers.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Very dark movie, hopefully the team gels more as the trilogy progresses. It has everything that Star Wars did not, good dialogue and believable character interaction.

It needed to be about three hours long though, I would like to have seen the crew have some more good times.

Now, if Joss and Lucas combined to do a movie, that would be great.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Xtremehkr said:
It needed to be about three hours long though, I would like to have seen the crew have some more good times.
Me too. Watch Firefly for that--the Serenity "family" is fully fleshed-out. But those fun times do make the darkness that much darker when it comes! That's Joss Whedon for you.

PS, I was wondering who's going to fly the ship now? The Captain's not much of a pilot as I understand it. But the last moments of the movie answered my question :) I hope they always keep a dinosaur on the dash for good luck.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
nagromme said:
Me too. Watch Firefly for that--the Serenity "family" is fully fleshed-out. But those fun times do make the darkness that much darker when it comes! That's Joss Whedon for you.

PS, I was wondering who's going to fly the ship now? The Captain's not much of a pilot as I understand it. But the last moments of the movie answered my question :) I hope they always keep a dinosaur on the dash for good luck.

Maybe we'll see some new characters introduced, though River seemed to be taking some interest in flying the ship. A psychic pilot would be cool.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I still maintain that the deaths of Book and Wash are either the cause of them being the last to sign on, or the result of them being the last to sign on.

Not many actors would want to get involved with what could be a movie series knowing that they will be killed in the first episode. However it could also be the Joss was having the difficulty getting them to sign on, so he killed them off to avoid possible difficulties in the sequels.

I doubt we will find out about Book's past through flashbacks but I wouldn't put it past Joss to have the crew find someone who knew Book before he became a Shepherd (possibly a new pilot?). I just don't see them continuing with River as a pilot for a long period of time. She's much more suited and useful for going off ship on missions, in which case you need a skilled pilot still on board to be ready to take of at a moments notice.

It was kind of sad, I watched the Firefly episode from the Sci-Fi channel on Friday and it was one of the most Wash-centric episodes (the one where Niska captures Mal and Wash). However it did open up another loose end for the movies which I will not point out since it appears a lot of people here have not seen the full series yet.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Box office projections have Serenity coming in at #2 ($10.1 million) behind Flightplan (15.0 million).

However Flightplan is showing at more sites (3424), so Serenity (2188 sites) actually outpaced them if you look at $/site.

Hopefully it pulls to #1 next weekend as the word gets out.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I'm really hoping that it pulls a number one spot for a while, I want the sequels to be made.

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
Man. I saw this movie last night and I was blown away. I loved how it wasn't simply an extra long episode, but an actual movie. It would have been good had I not loved the series, but was even better because of that.

I was upset that they never played the theme song. Great song.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
If Serenity was at #1 per screen... then more screens opening, word of mouth, and all the good reviews, might really help the second weekend. Will it hit #1 overall? Depends what opens next weekend maybe. But a movie doesn't have to be THE #1 movie to be a success. And this one apparently didn't cost much to make--which surprised me since it feels high-budget in many ways.

I'll remember Serenity every time I light incense now :)

Guitarius said:
I was upset that they never played the theme song. Great song.
Something tells me you didn't stay through the end of the credits...

Guitarius said:
I loved how it wasn't simply an extra long episode, but an actual movie.
Better yet, it wasn't just a movie about River! I thought the main story would be River--and she was important for sure. But instead the central story was something new: Miranda.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
nagromme said:
Better yet, it wasn't just a movie about River! I thought the main story would be River--and she was important for sure. But instead the central story was something new: Miranda.

That made me exstatic to be exact. That it was a new twist, intermingling the reavers (who you know humans had to of made and now you found out how) with River, with the Alliance. And how the alliance actually made the reavers, trying to do the exact opposite.

I LOVED IT!

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
nagromme said:
Something tells me you didn't stay through the end of the credits...
Actually I did. And I heard that little 30 seconds of the music. But it wasn't enough. I wanted the whole thing. The whole song and the singing.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Caught Serenity on Friday night - I was a really big fan of the original series, and mostly enjoyed Serenity as its big-screen re-launch. The music was beautiful, and if anyone stayed through the closing credits, you were rewarded with an acoustic guitar version of the original Firefly theme from the TV series.

A few items of speculation to share with everyone:

* I was absolutely stunned when they killed both Book and Wash - though I have heard that Ron Glass is not in good health, can anyone verify/confirm this? Also, that Alan Tudyk may be wanting a stronger director/producer hand in upcoming movies has also been speculated.

* The movie seems to have done away with the "two by two, hands of blue" arc from the series. River's capture and torture seems to have now been exclusively at the hands of the Alliance. No mention of Blue Sun's role in this either.

* Joss seems to be implying that River was tortured and trained by the Alliance as a Reaver "fighting machine." Or maybe to keep the Independents from re-organizing. Anyone else pick up on this?

* Anyone else think that we'll never hear Book's back-story? He seems to somewhat confess to Mal that he was deep in the Alliance ("I wasn't always a Shephard"), but never brings it up because Mal was an Independent.

* Seemed like there was very little crew "down time". I thought some of the ribaldary of the original series was lost.

Overall, I'd give Serenity 4.5 stars out of 5 - can't wait to see where the trilogy goes from here. Certainly better than any Star Trek movie I've ever seen, and beats the socks off of every Star Wars movie with the possible exceptions of Empire and Revenge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.