Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
How's the 13 in rMBP been so far? Like with video editing, photoshop and its overall performance? Just wanna know before I order one really soon :)

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
How's the 13 in rMBP been so far? Like with video editing, photoshop and its overall performance? Just wanna know before I order one really soon :)

I say this a lot whenever someone mentions video editing needs for the 13" MBP. I'd strongly recommend getting a 15" MBP as it will have a dedicated GPU (graphics processing unit). It will also have a better processor, increasing overall performance.

Mercmanman

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2012
Canada
I say this a lot whenever someone mentions video editing needs for the 13" MBP. I'd strongly recommend getting a 15" MBP as it will have a dedicated GPU (graphics processing unit). It will also have a better processor, increasing overall performance.

I moved from a 2012 i7 MBA to the i7 13" rMBP. Over the holidays I was creating and editing some videos and working with a few thousand photos. I found the MBP to be faster than the MBA, and did rip through video rendering faster, but I have not benchmarked it against the 15" rMBP...which would obviously be faster.

The rMBP never overheats and the fans are very quiet, so at the end of the day, it will be how many minutes longer to render a video that counts for you.

I love the small footprint and power in the package, and of course the screen is fantastic. If you dont care about the size of the laptop, then the 15" does give you more horsepower per dollar for sure. Having said that, I would buy another 13" rMBP again, as it suits my needs perfectly, as I travel a lot and transport the machine to and from work every day.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
For Photoshop it works very well indeed. Obviously the 15 is better but the 13 runs it extremely well and I think you would be happy.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My usage is fairly light (Office, Evernote, Safari, occasional use of Windows 7 virtual machine), but the 13" rMBP (Core i5) seems to handle it pretty well. I'm sure if I ran a frame-per-second benchmark I would see some lag but I really don't notice it in everyday usage.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I've had my 13" rmbp for a week now and absolutely love it. I have played a few steam games on both Mac OS and Windows 8 I put on it and they run just fine. (portal 2, counter strike's, Arkham city, half-life's) I have used garageband a bit but have not used Logic or Final Cut yet although installed.

Have used USB 3.0 and thunderbolt transfers and speeds are amazing. To be honest I was and kinda still am deciding between this 13" retina or a base 15" non and slapping SSD's in there. I love this machine though.

- sits in lap a good bit and doesn't get hot
- battery life is 7 hours of use as stated
- form factor is amazing
-(of course) the screen is amazing. people saying its not up to hype are crazy
- have transported it back and forth from home to work a few days and didnt mind it at all
- it hasn't disappointed me with anything I've thrown at it yet. And I did the IR test on it and didn't have any signs of it remaining on the screen.

Truly I plan to have this computer 3 years. I once debated on resale value but I did that with my 06 white macbook which I still have due to it being sentimentally attached to me now. Has never been repaired.

Anyways, I am adding Applecare to it next week and that will have me set. Good luck on your decision if still trying to make it. I have read lots of somewhat bad reviews or indifferent reviews of the 13" rmbp and friends thought I was crazy, but honestly whether I take this back or not to go the other route, this is an AWESOME computer.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I've had my 13" rmbp for a week now and absolutely love it. I have played a few steam games on both Mac OS and Windows 8 I put on it and they run just fine. (portal 2, counter strike's, Arkham city, half-life's) I have used garageband a bit but have not used Logic or Final Cut yet although installed.

Have used USB 3.0 and thunderbolt transfers and speeds are amazing. To be honest I was and kinda still am deciding between this 13" retina or a base 15" non and slapping SSD's in there. I love this machine though.

- sits in lap a good bit and doesn't get hot
- battery life is 7 hours of use as stated
- form factor is amazing
-(of course) the screen is amazing. people saying its not up to hype are crazy
- have transported it back and forth from home to work a few days and didnt mind it at all
- it hasn't disappointed me with anything I've thrown at it yet. And I did the IR test on it and didn't have any signs of it remaining on the screen.

Truly I plan to have this computer 3 years. I once debated on resale value but I did that with my 06 white macbook which I still have due to it being sentimentally attached to me now. Has never been repaired.

Anyways, I am adding Applecare to it next week and that will have me set. Good luck on your decision if still trying to make it. I have read lots of somewhat bad reviews or indifferent reviews of the 13" rmbp and friends thought I was crazy, but honestly whether I take this back or not to go the other route, this is an AWESOME computer.

Please do try FCP X with 1080p video. Thanks!

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Please do try FCP X with 1080p video. Thanks!

Ok will do. Are you just wanting to know how the performance of it is?

*Edit* Ok so I exported a 4 min 1080p video to youtube and it took 1 hour and 5 min to export it. This was also at "best quality" setting not "fastest encoding"

Last edited:

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Ok will do. Are you just wanting to know how the performance of it is?

*Edit* Ok so I exported a 4 min 1080p video to youtube and it took 1 hour and 5 min to export it. This was also at "best quality" setting not "fastest encoding"

I see thanks! What about when editing the video itself? Does FCP X run smoothly or are there lags?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I've had mine for a couple months and I love it.

Mostly use it at work (Sublime Text, Eclipse, MS Office) and no issues there.

Runs Aperture just great, I use it for storing/editing pics when I'm away somewhere and then synch them back to my main library on my mac mini.

Haven't tried games on it yet (Portal 2)... in fact the Steam client doesn't even load on this system for some reason but I haven't really done any troubleshooting so far.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I see thanks! What about when editing the video itself? Does FCP X run smoothly or are there lags?

Ok so just got done editing little bit of a video I was actually working on my windows desktop prior to purchasing this retina 13". As for your question of lag, no there isn't any that I can see. I did get the beachball for ~5 seconds, but this lag was due to the access time it took the external 2TB drive to recognize all files on it and display the folders etc. Overall, very impressed with the machine. I have not seen any issues with it so far.

On another note. I also just purchased and installed Wondershare Video Converter Pro and was able to EASILY convert my windows based files to mac/imovie/fcpx/apple tv/iphone/etc. If you havent seen or heard of this, yes I know there are others out there, but this is an amazing piece of software if you plan to convert mass files and going to be doing it for awhile.

*EDIT* Also, reset network settings and setup 5GHz wifi and I'm loving it on this machine. Works great

@vikpt, how have you been using your 13" do you enjoy it?

Last edited:

nostylez

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I have done light photo editing and works fine. As for video editing have not really done any. Gaming wise don't expect much. Although I am running an egpu set up with a gtx 670 so my performance blows most gaming laptops away.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the only "issue" i noticed so far is that youtube sometimes turns into a white page all of the sudden like i can view the video but everything else is gone. comments etc. unless i reopen safari

maybe thats an issue with the night built of safari however (which fixes the scrolling lag btw)

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Ok so just got done editing little bit of a video I was actually working on my windows desktop prior to purchasing this retina 13". As for your question of lag, no there isn't any that I can see. I did get the beachball for ~5 seconds, but this lag was due to the access time it took the external 2TB drive to recognize all files on it and display the folders etc. Overall, very impressed with the machine. I have not seen any issues with it so far.

On another note. I also just purchased and installed Wondershare Video Converter Pro and was able to EASILY convert my windows based files to mac/imovie/fcpx/apple tv/iphone/etc. If you havent seen or heard of this, yes I know there are others out there, but this is an amazing piece of software if you plan to convert mass files and going to be doing it for awhile.

*EDIT* Also, reset network settings and setup 5GHz wifi and I'm loving it on this machine. Works great

@vikpt, how have you been using your 13" do you enjoy it?

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! I haven't bought one yet but with what you just said, yeah, I'll bite the bullet and buy one already lol. Just wanted to know how it does with video editing 'cause I'll be doing a few with it :)

Last edited:

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
Bought mine just before Xmas - Although my usage so far has been light!

I've mixed feeling on the machine, but to keep it brief;

Im made up with the build quality and feel of the machine. Havent come across any issues. You dont need to worry if portability is an issue, it does not at all seem delicate.

I do however wish I bought the 15-inch, with the screen resolution my main concern. In best for Retina you get a 1280x800 desktop - the extra 100 pixels in height you'd get on the 15-inch would be worth the price (to be personally) alone. You can ofcourse increase the resolution - but It just quite seem to perform the same. I dont know if other people have found this?

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Bought mine just before Xmas - Although my usage so far has been light!

I've mixed feeling on the machine, but to keep it brief;

Im made up with the build quality and feel of the machine. Havent come across any issues. You dont need to worry if portability is an issue, it does not at all seem delicate.

I do however wish I bought the 15-inch, with the screen resolution my main concern. In best for Retina you get a 1280x800 desktop - the extra 100 pixels in height you'd get on the 15-inch would be worth the price (to be personally) alone. You can ofcourse increase the resolution - but It just quite seem to perform the same. I dont know if other people have found this?

I run it at the maximum without hacking effective resolution and havent noticed a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.