Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #51
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
This is what happens when your fav company goes too coporate. Mr.Cook is too busy playing politic game + money grabber that this company stop innovating and stop caring for it's own passion(which btw is gone w/ Steve gone) and follow the money..

Again, I look for other company when trying out fantastic ideas..
Can you point to 1 CES where Apple has ever gone?
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #52
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Can you point to 1 CES where Apple has ever gone?
Every CES. Apple sends spy over there.
apple-win is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #53
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomero View Post
An iPhone charger that runs on butane...does that seem like taking a step backwards to anyone else?
Nope - I totally agree and don't see the point if this thing doesn't run on hydrogen.

So it's DOA for me.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:16 PM   #54
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagi View Post
Nope - I totally agree and don't see the point if this thing doesn't run on hydrogen.

So it's DOA for me.
Butane is pretty easy to get tho
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It would be the only collaborative computing device on the market, and this could be huge in certain businesses where collaboration is important (i.e.: marketing, R&D, etc.) -- especially at such a reasonable price point. It allows many people to work together simultaneously on a single project.
I'll wait for the day when having a bunch of people leaning over and sharing a screen is better than any of:
1) having one large whiteboard
2) having content delivered to individual tablets in real-time, so everyone has ample space to see and interact
3) all the other ways people work together simultaneously on a single project that have existed since forever

Nobody actually working in R&D cares about having a tabletop screen for 2+ ppl to stand around and jab at simultaneously.
Carouser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #56
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomero View Post
An iPhone charger that runs on butane...does that seem like taking a step backwards to anyone else?
camping, power outages...... just because, etc
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #57
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelink View Post
No need to get ridiculous.
I'm only in the prototype phase, I can make changes ... don't like the orange color?
D.T. is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:18 PM   #58
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Yap. But Butane is the least nerdy fuel for a fuel cell. Hydrogen is the way of the future (and I find it embarassing, that we, the 21st century people, don't use hydrogen lighters btw).
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #59
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That link to the product site where Arn mentioned the flight regulation, I Goog'ed to a couple of PDFs (using the regulation + butane) talking about "sealed" vs. not, etc., so maybe that's a way cover air safety regulations for a container of that size.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:20 PM   #60
weing
macrumors regular

Is there an award for most retarded product introduced at CES?
If not there should be....
weing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:24 PM   #61
anubis
macrumors 6502a

Let's assume the iPhone 5 battery has a capcity of 10 watt-hours. Let's also assume a charging efficiency of 50%. It would then take 20 watt-hours of electricity to charge an iPhone, or 1/50th of a kilowatt-hour. A kilowatt-hour of electricity, depending on where you live, costs around 10 cents. It costs you 1/5th of a penny to charge your iphone by plugging it into the wall. Forgetting about the ridiculous $300 start up cost, each charge from the butane thing costs a dollar, or 50,000% as much money. You better be pretty desperate to charge your phone for that kind of scratch.
anubis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #62
qtx43
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Shame you have to buy the cartridges from them and you just cant fill them up like a lighter.
As long as you're using butane, it'll have to come in a canister (just like a refillable butane lighter). But ya, it'd be cool to have a tiny fuel cell like this that runs on naptha lighter fluid.
qtx43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:28 PM   #63
spb3
macrumors regular

would a fuel cell be allowed on an airplane?
spb3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #64
borgqueenx
macrumors 6502a

i would have bought that charger for 150usd maybe for 200. 300 is simply too high. Weird that they go so high leaving the average buyer behind.
borgqueenx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #65
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

I like that butane charger

If I'm ever lost in the forest I'll be able to keep my phone charged and start a fire to cook my food
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #66
samcraig
macrumors G5

299 for a charger + you need to pay 9.99 per 10 charges.

GREAT if you're in the jungle and/or somewhere without power often (assuming you also have a cellular tower where it would make sense to still carry you cell)

But you can by several iCarriers (for example) from New Trent for that kind of change...
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #67
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagi View Post
Yap. But Butane is the least nerdy fuel for a fuel cell. Hydrogen is the way of the future (and I find it embarassing, that we, the 21st century people, don't use hydrogen lighters btw).
I know where to get butane. Where can I get hydrogen for a comparably cheap price?

And I've heard- but don't know for sure- that it cost's more to capture the hydrogen for fuel cells than you can get out of it in fuel cell energy. Is that true or false?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb3 View Post
would a fuel cell be allowed on an airplane?
Unlikely.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #68
paddy616
macrumors newbie

Nectar Fuel Cell

So this loses 10% of its power during idle period on the shelf or when it is used daily like a battery? If it is like a battery that is not bad...my iPhone battery now only holds 1/2 charge after 1 year of use.
paddy616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #69
carlgo
macrumors 68000

The only thing that really matters is universal fast internet. Most all else is defined by that.
carlgo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #70
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
This is what happens when your fav company goes too coporate. Mr.Cook is too busy playing politic game + money grabber that this company stop innovating and stop caring for it's own passion(which btw is gone w/ Steve gone) and follow the money..

Again, I look for other company when trying out fantastic ideas..
Since when is Apple into niche products? I'd rather Apple focus on innovation that is practical and will benefit lots of people.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #71
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyD View Post
If a tablet like that had a 4k IGZO or good IPS screen and a good battery, I could see it being of interest to artists or even schools. The screen would have to be amazing to make this worth the trouble.

With a 3840x2160 screen, good battery, and desktop PC power, this would be an interesting AIO.
Something like this?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/p...blet-hands-on/
star-affinity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #72
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Whats the point of the nectar fuel thing if it costs $9.99 per 10 charges?
Hopefully you can recharge the pods with your own biomethane.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #73
ndpitch
macrumors regular

Reminds me too much of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY
ndpitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:44 PM   #74
boomersmech
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to boomersmech Send a message via MSN to boomersmech Send a message via Yahoo to boomersmech
Battery life = 2 hours, so what we will expect 45 minutes real-life use?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:48 PM   #75
Newton70
macrumors regular

If lenovo doesn't introduce it into the market, perhaps samsung will introduce it instead as the samsung galaxy s iv.
Newton70 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion