Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Mr Breakfast
macrumors newbie

Imac and logitech boombox wont work from more than 5 feet.

Can anyone help me with this, I can get up to 30 feet with my ipad and other devices.
Mr Breakfast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

You said you wanted a thin iMac, but now you complain about features not working right...
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3
gallo889
macrumors newbie

Is the boombox using a Logitech "unity" wireless receiver dongle plugged into a USB 3.0 port?

Especially if plugged into a USB 3.0 hub, expect RF interference to reduce range due to USB 3.0 spread spectrum properties.

Basically, USB 3.0 can generate lots of 2.4 GHz radio noise that interferes with other devices in that frequency band, reducing their range.

It is definately an issue in the laptops introduced earlier this year, as the first USB 3.0 from Apple. But this is the first indication I've seen that it wasn't fixed for the new iMacs (I'm assuming this is a late-2012 model...)

But if the Logitec receiver is plugged into a hub, it could be the hub that's leaking noise. Try disconnecting the hub and plugging directly into the iMac USB 3.0 ports and see if that helps.
gallo889 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Mr Breakfast
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response gallo

The boombox doesnt actually use a dongle (logitech UE model) so Im not sure about usb interference. I also dont think that it could be anything else in the room as I can use my ipad from beside the computer to trigger the boombox at long range.

The imac is 2007 or 2008, I dont know if this makes a difference.
Mr Breakfast is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac