Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A less expensive iPhone is in the works and could go on sale as soon as this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. Digitimes reported something similar earlier today.

iphone5mod_translucent_iphone_5.jpg
The translucent iPhone case for the iPhone 5, from iPhone5mod
While Apple has explored such a device for years, the plan has been progressing and a less expensive version of the flagship device could launch as soon as later this year, one of the people said.

The cheaper phone could resemble the standard iPhone, with a different, less-expensive body, one of the people said. One possibility Apple has considered is lowering the cost of the device by using a different shell made of polycarbonate plastic. Many other parts could remain the same or be recycled from older iPhone models.
The WSJ reported that Apple was working on a cheaper, smaller iPhone two years ago, which the paper does note. Of course, Apple already does offer cheaper models than the flagship iPhone -- currently the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

The device could be aimed at emerging markets like India where postpaid plans are scarce, and users typically pay in full for their phones up front.

Update: Bloomberg echoes the WSJ, saying Apple "plans to sell a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone as soon as this year" and the device will be aimed at customers in developing countries. Bloomberg says that the device could sell for $99 or $149.

Article Link: WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
I think it'd be cool to satisfy those customers with bigger hands and larger tastes.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
The WSJ is usully very reliable from what I can recall. Maybe there is something to this rumor after all.

What i really want is an ipad mini with retina display! :D

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
Sigh.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
If this is true, wonder if it'll appear in the States? Or Europe? If it is a move for a less expensive iPhone, what are the chances of Apple selling it only in markets needing cheaper iPhones?

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I'd choose a black polycarbonate iphone 5 any day over the current aluminum version, it just makes more sense. The stainless steel 4's were so much more scuff resistant than the current soft aluminum so just give me light weight quality plastic. It wouldn't chafe in the case any worse than what I have now. If it's cheaper, that's a plus as well.

ahmet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012

so you were thinking that you were elite, and insult other people with prejudgement and state them as "unwashed' by just using a device, previously. so sad to see what happened to humanity.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
They already have the discounted iPhone 4 and 4S. If they're thinking prepaid markets I find that extremely unlikely.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

A less expensive iPhone is in the works and could go on sale as soon as this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. Digitimes reported something similar earlier today.

ImageThe translucent iPhone case for the iPhone 5, from iPhone5mod
The WSJ reported that Apple was working on a cheaper, smaller iPhone two years ago, which the paper does note. Of course, Apple already does offer cheaper models than the flagship iPhone -- currently the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

The device could be aimed at emerging markets like India where postpaid plans are scarce, and users typically pay in full for their phones up front.

Article Link: WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year

Wow. And I was totally calling BS on this in the previous post only an hour ago. Sorry guys.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I really doubt it. Apple doesn't do stuff like this that cheapens their brands. If you want a cheaper iPhone, get the older 4S.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

This is why there is a stigma towards those who own Apple products.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

You should change your handle.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Don't see how the replacing aluminum case with a plastic one will make it cheaper. The most expensive part I believe is still the flash memory. Wasn't Apple tinkering around with stream only iPhones with enough memory for Apps/iOS to keep costs down? Even with the 3G>4 redesign, the price still stayed the same. Guess people just want a 3G style flimsy plastic iPhone back.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013

What's next? Poor people owning BMWs, Mercedes and Audis!? I wholly agree! If it makes us feel any less "elite" we should deny them access to it for our own selfish purposes. I know my self esteem is improved whenever I see someone begging for loose change or struggling to feed their family. Poor people, where do they get the nerve to keep on living? It's such an inconvenience to have poorer people owning cool things. Stupid people that can't afford as much as I can... damn you!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

This post expresses a truly pathetic need for some spurious feelings of superiority, supplied by owning an electronic device.

So many sad and needy people in the world...

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
so you were thinking that you were elite, and insult other people with prejudgement and state them as "unwashed' by just using a device, previously. so sad to see what happened to humanity.

Any brand can be a status symbol.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.