Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:35 PM   #26
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Hmmm... it's moved beyond Digitimes "reporting." Maybe there's something to the rumor?
Exactly. The WSJ is also common venue for Apple's controlled leaks. Apple hasn't ever produced a product specifically for an emerging market, so this would be a big deal.
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
samcraig
macrumors G5

Oh no. What will some posters here be able to counter the crappy plastic Samsung, LG and other "crap" with if Apple makes a cheap version of their iPhone in PLASTIC?! Oh nozzzzzz
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

I guess it'll help broaden the customer base, but its kind of frustrating to know poor people will be able to get the same phone as me
Raftysworld is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
yod
macrumors newbie

I'm more eager to believe this than Apple keeping 3.5 inch iPhones for much longer.

Although a smaller cheaper iPhone could mean huge cannabilasation of current iPhone and may not be such a smart move - Aside from iPod nano which serves a portability purpose I can't recall when Apple had made a low end product just to sell to a wider audience (even basic MacBooks have always been pretty pricey laptops compared to high end pc laptops)
yod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:38 PM   #30
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
I guess it'll help broaden the customer base, but its kind of frustrating to know poor people will be able to get the same phone as me
Why. I sincerely would love to know.
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #31
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs would never allowed this...
LoloBond is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #32
whiteyanderson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
Wow. If owning any electronic device makes you feel elite, or special, or different, or unique in ANY WAY, maybe you should start spending your money on psychiatric evaluation?

Just a thought. A thought that I had without the aid of my Apple products.

So sad to see what is happening...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Why. I sincerely would love to know.
Because he lacks the imagination or integrity to supply any contribution to the Earth. Therefore, he uses a brand name to do the heavy lifting for him.
whiteyanderson is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #33
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.
You're not elite if you think Porsche and Apple are status symbols.

Time to show how baller you are, and step up to Bugatti for your transportation needs.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #34
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson View Post
A thought that I had without the aid of my Apple products.
If it weren't for your Apple products - you would never have been able to type that here or anywhere.

Now bow down before Tim and kiss his feet
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #35
hsuthard
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
It's pretty hard to be less expensive than a $0 iPhone 4 (in the US, anyway).
That "free" phone is worth $450. Not cheap by my standards.
hsuthard is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #36
whiteyanderson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post

Guess what!??? They already CAN. They can even get one for...FREE!
whiteyanderson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:44 PM   #37
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
They're trying to cut down manufacturing costs, not subsidized prices since they're trying to target a market where people will purchase the phones outright.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Monk Edsel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yod View Post
Aside from iPod nano which serves a portability purpose I can't recall when Apple had made a low end product just to sell to a wider audience
Behold: the Mac mini! The price has creeped up from the initial $499 offering, but the idea behind the machine was to lower the cost of entry for Windows users who were used to buying cheap beige boxes.

Ah, and I just recalled the iPod mini (which precedes the nano, of course), the eMac, and the iPod shuffle. IMO the original shuffle is the closest Apple-as-we-know-it has come to pushing out cheap plastic junk.

Last edited by Monk Edsel; Jan 8, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Monk Edsel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
Yep. Not anymore. So sad.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #40
whiteyanderson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

Now bow down before Tim and kiss his feet
Only if he increases his shoe size by .8 of an inch.
whiteyanderson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:47 PM   #41
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Could be the T-Mobile iPhone

Or they offer both the expensive and cheaper version.
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:47 PM   #42
SPNarwhal
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
I don't see the point in this really, wouldn't they be competing against themselves if they did this? I doubt that many people would care the difference between plastic and metal/glass, most people put their phones into a case anyway.

I think they have a good system going here with having previous generation iPhones be a lower price to make having an iPhone still affordable and ranking on price depending on generation, rather than materials that the shell is made out of but other than that it's pretty much identical..
I think that would just hurt a lot of their sales.
SPNarwhal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:47 PM   #43
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post

Time to show how baller you are, and step up to Bugatti for your transportation needs.
I personally love the Lotus Esprit - which is already more "elite" than the Porsche

Newsflash for the uninformed. You can get variants of the iPhone for 99, 49 and even free.

Your iPhone? It's just a phone. A nice phone. It's not a status symbol nor is it special.

When it first launched at it was rare - it might have been a status symbol. But that's mostly because a lot of people still needed a business phone and the original iPhone couldn't replace business functions - it was just a REALLY cool phone that early adopters could showcase.

Disclosure: I had an original iPhone. But I also didn't wave it around like it was a jesus device.

Last edited by samcraig; Jan 8, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:47 PM   #44
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member

good. nice to see apple adding a little diversity to their mobile lineup. like their macs, there's no such thing as one size fits all.

the iphone was a bi-product of ipad development, i think they are still a little startled it turned into their main revenue maker
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:48 PM   #45
artpease
macrumors member

This year...

Really, that soon!
artpease is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #46
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

Cheaper iPhones. Good Joke. The only time an iPhone gets cheaper is when the next model releases.
DJJAZZYJET is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #47
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Hmm...I have a hard time believing Apple is going to start making a plastic phone. How many products do they currently sell that are plastic (outside of accessories). I guess anything is possible but even this report seems to be more guessing than solid rumors.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #48
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Don't see how the replacing aluminum case with a plastic one will make it cheaper. The most expensive part I believe is still the flash memory. Wasn't Apple tinkering around with stream only iPhones with enough memory for Apps/iOS to keep costs down? Even with the 3G>4 redesign, the price still stayed the same. Guess people just want a 3G style flimsy plastic iPhone back.
It is probably the usual marketing, perceived value that the plastic body alone is what is going to lower the price.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #49
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
on a subsidized contract. the cost of the phone still reminds roughly $450 or whatever it is.

if this is true, apple wants to capture the prepaid/payasyougo market where you pay upfront for the phone and are not locked into a contract.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #50
bushido
macrumors 601

"could" ... thats all

it could also be invisible or travel through time

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion