Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:36 PM   #126
weing
macrumors regular

If making a sub-standard product for the third world is what it takes to put my shares past 1000 instead of the falling and stalling at 500, I'm all for it !
weing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:38 PM   #127
fr33 loader
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
Hi, my 4 year old son was wondering if you could do Facetime with him. He has been trashing around my old iPhone 4 with his slightly greasy and grimy hands as his own personal touch. He wants to talk to you how elite and special you are for using an Apple product.
fr33 loader is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:42 PM   #128
mjtomlin

If Apple decides to make an iPhone for the emerging markets, it'll be fairly inexpensive but also be fairly limited in functionality as well. Think of the iPod nano compared to the iPod touch. The iPhone nano will come with a fixed set of preloaded apps - users will not be able to download apps from the AppStore. Although, Apple could eventually create a special iPod/iPhone nano shelf in the AppStore - something similar to what they did before with the Classic iPods and the games they offered for it.

Or they could go the Android route... Make a cheap piece of crap, load it up with iOS 4, flood the market with it and say, "We're Winning!" Marketshare goes up, profits go down, stock goes up, customer satisfaction goes down. Instead of needing to make your current customers happy, you turn to a newly emerging market to make up the lost sales. What's not to like with this business plan?

Last edited by mjtomlin; Jan 8, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
mjtomlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:47 PM   #129
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudeo View Post
I'm sure it was sarcasm...

I hope it was sarcasm.
It was someone making fun of Apple "fanboys".
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #130
rrrahu1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
#megatroll lolol you win
rrrahu1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #131
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

The fact that the high end Nexus 4 is cheaper for me to buy straight out than the iPhone 4 (which is about 2.5 years old), Apple really needs to think about their current plan of dishing out their old tech for a premium. I'd much rather pay a bit of a premium on an Apple phone that's competitive with Google's offering, but why would I currently invest in an out of date device?

Oh, and to the elitists out there, you give the rest of the Apple community a bad name. You are the living proof people use to reinforce the perception that the Apple-using community is full of smug, self-important idiots (just like the 'I'm a Mac' advertisements).
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:55 PM   #132
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1984user View Post
Oh, and to the elitists out there, you give the rest of the Apple community a bad name. You are the living proof people use to reinforce the perception that the Apple-using community is full of smug, self-important idiots (just like the 'I'm a Mac' advertisements).
The same people get their panties in a bunch over the Samsung commercials which mock the people in line
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:01 PM   #133
Radio
In Time-Out

what's the point?

u still have to pay a data plan
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:15 PM   #134
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
what's the point?

u still have to pay a data plan
I guess that really depends on what data plans cost in the areas this would be sold, doesn't it?

Just because data plans are expensive in the US (for example) doesn't mean they would be elsewhere
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:22 PM   #135
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.
Get off your high horse and join the real world. It's a smart phone.

I'm glad to see this may actually happen. Are we going to see the return of the iPhone 3G design? A one-piece, wrap-around plastic back? I, for one, would welcome a return to a design with no glass on the rear.
SkippyThorson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #136
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1984user View Post
smug, self-important idiots (just like the 'I'm a Mac' advertisements).
The "I'm a Mac" advertisements weren't about people or users. Justin Long didn't play a Mac user, he played a Mac - a computer. That compared himself to a standard PC - played by John Hodgman.

Apple was not making fun of PC users and portraying them as stodgy business types and Mac users as being cool. They were playing off the fact that Windows computers were mainly designed for IT departments and Macs for individuals.

The only reason anyone would be offended by this is if they were somewhat lacking in self-esteem.
mjtomlin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:32 PM   #137
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
I really doubt it. Apple doesn't do stuff like this that cheapens their brands. If you want a cheaper iPhone, get the older 4S.
They should market the older models more. The iPhone 4 is a wonderful device, and I have one. If you want a cheap Mac, that would also be the old model. A $500 Mac (2007 iMac for example) is way better than a $500 non-Apple PC
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:40 PM   #138
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

So we wont(in the near feature) see any comments like "cheap plastic" kind a comments about samsung phones then?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:59 PM   #139
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What an ignorant statement. In an emerging market like India, the term is "Untouchables."
marzer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:03 PM   #140
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
The "I'm a Mac" advertisements weren't about people or users. Justin Long didn't play a Mac user, he played a Mac - a computer. That compared himself to a standard PC - played by John Hodgman.

Apple was not making fun of PC users and portraying them as stodgy business types and Mac users as being cool. They were playing off the fact that Windows computers were mainly designed for IT departments and Macs for individuals.

The only reason anyone would be offended by this is if they were somewhat lacking in self-esteem.
You know - you're wrong to some degree in my opinion. Because (as you can see here) people identify with the products they use. Not all people. I don't. But many do apparently.

So when you talk about how dumb a phone is. Or how dumb a computer is. You're insulting the user of that device.

You talk about people lacking in self esteem? I find that funny given all the insecure comments on this forum (not just this thread) any time anything positive is said about the "competition" or Apple is called into question.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:03 PM   #141
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmxkmxlmx View Post
/satire, right? Right?
Yes, Sheldon, that is correct.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:04 PM   #142
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So one says cheaper and bigger and another says cheaper and smaller. Which is it?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #143
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
Why would you be checking your iPhone in a meeting?
For maximum impact, most people used to pull them out before the meeting.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #144
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
For maximum impact, most people used to pull them out before the meeting.
Pulling out never works.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:16 PM   #145
iGrip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Porsche if anything are the Apple of the sports car world.
Actually, if anything, Apple products are the Ferrari of the telephone world.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:18 PM   #146
designs216
macrumors 65816

Would Apple design a device that would undercut its iPhone sales model? Methinks not.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:27 PM   #147
iGrip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
What an ignorant statement. In an emerging market like India, the term is "Untouchables."
Sorry for the lack of Political Correctness. I will keep your point in mind.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:31 PM   #148
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
With the economic boom, those days are over. The lines are blurring each day. Its the economic wealth that creates classes these days not their backgrounds.

----------

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of Political Correctness. I will keep your point in mind.

Thanks.
Someone with exquisite taste....

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...ugatti-veyron/
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:34 PM   #149
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Would Apple design a device that would undercut its iPhone sales model? Methinks not.
I think the key is, that these phones are for "developing countries". So, we would not see it in Europe, North America, and other developed countries, but in places like South America, Asia and such that price point is an issue.

This makes sense. Selling a cheap iPhone (besides the 4s) in the US, or UK does not.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:36 PM   #150
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
I think the key is, that these phones are for "developing countries". So, we would not see it in Europe, North America, and other developed countries, but in places like South America, Asia and such that price point is an issue.

This makes sense. Selling a cheap iPhone (besides the 4s) in the US, or UK does not.
Aw man - can't Apple just license iOS to one of the cheap asian knockoff companies. They can make money on the iOS and appstore and not even have to manufacture a phone

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion