Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKarpis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hi,
I'm trying to use 'say' command in my app. The computer translates given text to speech (I can hear the voice), but on output I get following:

Code:
mac:U miro$ say 'hi'
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

I know that when I tried maybe 6 months ago, I didn't get this output. Please, how can I fix this?

Cheers..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi,
I'm trying to use 'say' command in my app. The computer translates given text to speech (I can hear the voice), but on output I get following:

Code:
mac:U miro$ say 'hi'
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

I know that when I tried maybe 6 months ago, I didn't get this output. Please, how can I fix this?

Cheers..
This is caused by your Sound Output settings, oddly enough. You have the Jack Audio daemon installed, presumably for something that requires it. The connection is obviously failing. Select the correct source from Sound in System Preferences in the Output tab, then all should be well.

mKarpis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
This is caused by your Sound Output settings, oddly enough. You have the Jack Audio daemon installed, presumably for something that requires it. The connection is obviously failing. Select the correct source from Sound in System Preferences in the Output tab, then all should be well.

Thank you for that.

- please how can I uninstall it? + In my sound/output settings I can see only Internal Speakers (no jack or so...), so I can not change it...

interesting is that when I run:

jackd -d coreaudio -l

and after that try 'say' I'm not getting the error output.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.