Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

My 24 inch 2009 iMac computer is being replaced by Apple (because of serious hardware issues) with the 2012 27 inch base model and would appreciate some feedback from the members who have this version.

Thanks in advance for any comments to my inquiry about this iMac model! :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,

My 24 inch 2009 iMac computer is being replaced by Apple (because of serious hardware issues) with the 2012 27 inch base model and would appreciate some feedback from the members who have this version.

Wow, consider yourself lucky. Not sure how serious of an issue it'd take to have compelled Apple to do that replacement, but ok. As a business they have zero obligation to do that, so you should write Tim Cook a thank you note.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Wow, consider yourself lucky. Not sure how serious of an issue it'd take to have compelled Apple to do that replacement, but ok. As a business they have zero obligation to do that, so you should write Tim Cook a thank you note.

Er I wouldnt be so quick to do that. If the serious issues were caused by a coffee spill then sure. If they were caused by poor assembly or design flaw then he should be thanking you for staying with Apple.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
static Interference While Speaking To Someone On My iPhone 5

My computer was replaced for a number of reasons, one of which was severe hardware problems: since April 2012, computer not turning on-(black screen), computer shutting down when left idle, any external device connected to iMac, would cause iMac to shut down (although these devices worked fine with my macbook air notebook) and horrible sounds coming from usb ports if I tried to insert external device into the usb port.

The iMac computer has not turned on at all for over two months and Apple has replaced the power supply twice as well as replacing the logic board, hard drive and power inverter cable.

The computer was sent to an Apple authorized service (a few days ago) and they determined that I had to replace again the logic board and power supply. Apple decided to replace the unit with another computer, rather than replacing the logic board and power supply again.

Prior to these "hardware problems", I've also had serious software issues (from April 2011 till end of October 2012, when the computer stopped working) such as web browser either freezing and/or not working at all.

I am very grateful and appreciate very much Apple's decision to replace my computer and hope to hear feedback/comments from anyone who has the base 27 inch 2012 model.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My computer was replaced for a number of reasons, one of which was severe hardware problems: since April 2012, computer not turning on-(black screen), computer shutting down when left idle, any external device connected to iMac, would cause iMac to shut down (although these devices worked fine with my macbook air notebook) and horrible sounds coming from usb ports if I tried to insert external device into the usb port.

The iMac computer has not turned on at all for over two months and Apple has replaced the power supply twice as well as replacing the logic board, hard drive and power inverter cable.

The computer was sent to an Apple authorized service (a few days ago) and they determined that I had to replace again the logic board and power supply. Apple decided to replace the unit with another computer, rather than replacing the logic board and power supply again.

Prior to these "hardware problems", I've also had serious software issues (from April 2011 till end of October 2012, when the computer stopped working) such as web browser either freezing and/or not working at all.

I am very grateful and appreciate very much Apple's decision to replace my computer and hope to hear feedback/comments from anyone who has the base 27 inch 2012 model.

If I were you I'd hire an electrician to test the cleanliness of the power coming from your wall outlet.

4Hummer

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Hi,

Get a UPS. sounds like you have dirty power

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I have a 24" 2008 iMac, runs ever since I purchased it on a UPS. I would never take a chance running without UPS - it protects a $2000 computer and only costs $ 100 or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.