Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
JTStarkiller
macrumors member

Fullscreen ComiXology on the Mini

I own a MBP and an iPhone 4S, but no iPad as of yet. I just wanted to get some opinions before going for one. I was dead set on the Mini, just because I love the smaller size and lower price because, when it comes down to it, my purchase of an iPad is almost exclusively for reading comics. I'll no doubt find other uses for it, but for right now, it's why I've held off for so long buying one. I really just want something nice to read comics.

Do any of you use the Mini for reading ComiXology in full screen mode, and if so how is it? I use guided view on my iPhone 4S and MBP in Safarai, but I'm not in love with the feature. It constantly leaves small details offscreen and you never see them. Is the non-retina Mini screen sufficient to be able to read a page clearly when in full screen mode? I wish I could test this, but the store models don't have ComiXology installed on them.

I'm sure they look amazing on retina iPads (I'm still not completely against going for the full iPad), but $329 for a comic reader is already pushing it.
JTStarkiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
TofSanity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
I own a MBP and an iPhone 4S, but no iPad as of yet. I just wanted to get some opinions before going for one. I was dead set on the Mini, just because I love the smaller size and lower price because, when it comes down to it, my purchase of an iPad is almost exclusively for reading comics. I'll no doubt find other uses for it, but for right now, it's why I've held off for so long buying one. I really just want something nice to read comics.

Do any of you use the Mini for reading ComiXology in full screen mode, and if so how is it? I use guided view on my iPhone 4S and MBP in Safarai, but I'm not in love with the feature. It constantly leaves small details offscreen and you never see them. Is the non-retina Mini screen sufficient to be able to read a page clearly when in full screen mode? I wish I could test this, but the store models don't have ComiXology installed on them.

I'm sure they look amazing on retina iPads (I'm still not completely against going for the full iPad), but $329 for a comic reader is already pushing it.
I have always used a full size iPad until I returned my iPad 4 to upgrade to a bigger 15" rMBP. I have been without an iPad for a few weeks now and have been missing reading my ComiXology comics. This morning I broke down and picked up a iPad mini...

So far my experience with ComiXology has been pretty good! I really only use the iPad for reading. The colors & texts look good. I haven't looked at in panel mode yet. I never liked panel mode on my iPad 3 or 4 (still looked pixelated)

At my local Apple Store & Best Buy they had The Walking Dead downloaded to the iBook app. I looked at that and it seemed great but in B&W. Maybe you can look and see if the same is true in your area. Maybe download ComiXology to an iPad mini in the store. i noticed a lot of apps being installed by customers.
TofSanity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
TofSanity
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Here is a screen shot of the Green Arrow on my iPad Mini
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	388877  
TofSanity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
JTStarkiller
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, guys!

PS Eagerly awaiting Jeff Lemire's jump onto Green Arrow in the coming months.
JTStarkiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

The Mini is great for reading comics, but there will be times that you need to turn it portrait and read panel by panel. Some comics the lettering is too small to read in full page view, but most times its ok. I just bought a Ipad 4 for just that reason, that comics and Magazines are better on it. I use the mini for taking with me and the 4 for at home
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
odonnelly99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys!

PS Eagerly awaiting Jeff Lemire's jump onto Green Arrow in the coming months.
Didn't know he was going to be writing that book. I've enjoyed his work on Animal Man.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
The Mini is great for reading comics, but there will be times that you need to turn it portrait and read panel by panel. Some comics the lettering is too small to read in full page view, but most times its ok. I just bought a Ipad 4 for just that reason, that comics and Magazines are better on it. I use the mini for taking with me and the 4 for at home
Agreed. Nothin' beats reading comics on the iPad 3/4 (other than reading the print copy of the book )
odonnelly99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad