Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:43 PM   #226
clavier223
macrumors member

Last edited by clavier223; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
clavier223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #227
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Apologies if this has been answered, and thank you in advance:

Can I buy a used Verizon iPhone and use it with Straight Talk on the VZW network?

Or do they only support BYOP for GSM phones, and only VZW network with the iPhones they sell?

(I ask because we have little AT&T coverage here.)
BYOP with a verizon iPhone hasn't been confirmed, but it seems that the overall consensus is that this isn't possible. It needs to be a GSM phone. But again I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavier223 View Post
If the ST iPhone 5 is indeed the CDMA A1429 (prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise), then I don't know why I have ST representatives telling me that the SIM card tray is disabled/blocked ... unless the SIM card tray really is blocked even though the device itself is compatible with GSM networks like it should be.

----------

Maybe they're just confused ... They're telling me the SIM card tray is disabled because it's a CDMA phone ... but that's not how the CDMA A1429 works.

Still
Because the ST representatives are either lying to try to get you to pay for ST service or they just plain don't know what they're talking about
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:04 PM   #228
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
RTFA. :-)

"Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not."
I just spoke to a Straight Talk representative and they told me I can use an AT&T iPhone with their service, but if I purchase an iPhone from Straight Talk it will mostly use Verizon's network. It will not be able to connect to AT&T's network. It will not have LTE but in the future it may be added if they expand their contract with Verizon. While I don't always trust representatives, this one seemed pretty knowledgable so I'd lean towards the article being inaccurate. Still not sure if I should switch or not though.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:11 PM   #229
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
I just spoke to a Straight Talk representative and they told me I can use an AT&T iPhone with their service, but if I purchase an iPhone from Straight Talk it will mostly use Verizon's network. It will not be able to connect to AT&T's network. It will not have LTE but in the future it may be added if they expand their contract with Verizon. While I don't always trust representatives, this one seemed pretty knowledgable so I'd lean towards the article being inaccurate. Still not sure if I should switch or not though.
If you look at the coverage map Straight Talk has linked to their iPhone 5 page

http://iphone.straighttalk.com/details.php

(note: you need to scroll down the page and click on the coverage map link for the map to display)

It looks very similar to Verizon's coverage map

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

So I would guess that Straight Talk is using the Verizon network for their iPhone sales.

Last edited by DaveN; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: link info
DaveN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:12 PM   #230
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
If you look at the coverage map Straight Talk has linked to their iPhone 5 page

http://iphone.straighttalk.com/details.php

It looks very similar to Verizon's coverage map

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

So I would guess that Straight Talk is using the Verizon network for their iPhone sales.
I'm guessing they have a more profitable contact with Verizon than AT&T so they are funneling traffic that way. Or they have so many customers that have brought their own AT&T iPhones to ST that they need to balance it out.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #231
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

here's a question: what will the return policy be? if it's walmart's standard 14 day return policy you could buy one to see if it does what you need it to and then return it if it doesn't
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:17 PM   #232
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
here's a question: what will the return policy be? if it's walmart's standard 14 day return policy you could buy one to see if it does what you need it to and then return it if it doesn't
It gets more complicated if you plan on porting a number. Since it's pay as you go, I guess you could do just one month with a new number and port it later if you like it. Still a bit more complicated though.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:21 PM   #233
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
It gets more complicated if you plan on porting a number. Since it's pay as you go, I guess you could do just one month with a new number and port it later if you like it. Still a bit more complicated though.
yeah I use google voice but that could complicate for others. I am actually thinking about snagging an iPhone 4 with this deal and seeing if I get hspa+ in my area with it
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 PM   #234
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
The ST iPhone uses the CDMA-V network.

Compare this map with this map, and you'll see.
it doesn't say anywhere that it uses that network
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:35 PM   #235
clavier223
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
it doesn't say anywhere that it uses that network
It doesn't have to. If you actually compare the two coverage maps I showed you, then you will see that they are identical.

Plus, it's already confirmed that it's a CDMA phone ... and there are only two CDMA networks on Straight Talk ... and the coverage map they show for the ST iPhone is definitely not the Sprint map (CDMA-S).

You can call up Straight Talk yourself, and they will tell you this. It's a prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise.

----------

You can also go the Verizon site to compare their map to those two I linked above, and you'll see the same exact map, again.

Just click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Map", zoom all the way out, and you'll see for yourself.

----------

ST iPhone coverage map

CDMA-V coverage map

Verizon Wireless coverage map - click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Page", zoom all the way out

All three coverage maps are identical.

Last edited by clavier223; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
clavier223 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:08 PM   #236
Smearbrick
macrumors newbie

It's on the Verizon network. I'm confirming it.

I have one right in front of me. Also... if you use the phone prior to activation, it connects to the Verizon network.

No more need to say "this has yet to be confirmed" or "it must be GSM".
Smearbrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:20 PM   #237
Beelzbub
macrumors regular

Does the hotspot work on this by any chance?
Beelzbub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:53 PM   #238
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Exactly! I think of Apple as trying to make great products for ANYONE to want and be able to use.
Not for ANYONE. People who need large screen phones can't get it from Apple
saturn88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:42 PM   #239
tonywalker23
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tonywalker23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smearbrick View Post
It's on the Verizon network. I'm confirming it.

I have one right in front of me. Also... if you use the phone prior to activation, it connects to the Verizon network.

No more need to say "this has yet to be confirmed" or "it must be GSM".
Can your confirmů
Visual voice mail
Mms
FaceTime over 3G
tonywalker23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #240
clavier223
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywalker23 View Post
Can your confirmů
Visual voice mail
Mms
FaceTime over 3G
as well as GSM unlocked or blocked/disabled or whatever?

Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:12 PM   #241
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
It doesn't have to. If you actually compare the two coverage maps I showed you, then you will see that they are identical.

Plus, it's already confirmed that it's a CDMA phone ... and there are only two CDMA networks on Straight Talk ... and the coverage map they show for the ST iPhone is definitely not the Sprint map (CDMA-S).

You can call up Straight Talk yourself, and they will tell you this. It's a prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise.

----------

You can also go the Verizon site to compare their map to those two I linked above, and you'll see the same exact map, again.

Just click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Map", zoom all the way out, and you'll see for yourself.

----------

ST iPhone coverage map

CDMA-V coverage map

Verizon Wireless coverage map - click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Page", zoom all the way out

All three coverage maps are identical.
what about LTE?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:34 PM   #242
Jaymills
macrumors newbie

Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5

The Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5 is a CDMA MODEL MD105LL/A!!! It is a verizon model and it is unlocked when i try my at&t sim it work with 4G but now LTE! the Straight Talk iPhone 5 does not come with a sim card and its does no used/need one to be activated one the Straight Talk Network! When i was activating the one i purchase today you need to call in or go to Straight Talk site and give them the MEID number for activation! A Note No Sim card comes in the phone the phone sim slot in empty!
Jaymills is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:54 PM   #243
Smearbrick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
as well as GSM unlocked or blocked/disabled or whatever?

See next to last post. I believe somewhere in that post, the poster confirms the phone to be GSM unlocked.

Facetime, 3g, mms... all work.
Smearbrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:16 PM   #244
clavier223
macrumors member

Sweet.

The ST representatives on facebook must be confused, then. It really is just the prepaid Verizon iPhone with ST rates.

----------

But again, that makes sense because we know it's the A1429 model.

Wouldn't then, if Virgin Mobile picked up the iPhone 5 like ST, that it would also be the A1429 model since VM uses Sprint's network? which means it'd be GSM unlocked?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:57 AM   #245
tonywalker23
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tonywalker23
Took the plunge and got one on my wife's number. Number ported fine. Can make calls. Got a text. However no data or voicemail. Not sure why. Been tinkering to a couple of hours.
tonywalker23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:57 AM   #246
donniedarko
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to donniedarko
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumorpolice View Post
STRAIGHT TALK SUCKS! I recently talked a friend in to switching over so he would buy my old phone and he's had nothing but problems. ST will throttle you at the drop of a hat, especially if you try to stream youtube over their network. You have been warned!
Funny I watch streamed events, YT stuff no issue, love straighttalk and I've a customer with them with 2 different phones, now a 4S with no issues, very satisfied and not getting raped on a bill #winning
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 AM   #247
clavier223
macrumors member

Here is where the "unlocked" confusion lies. An e-mail from Straight Talk:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding to your recent inquiry.

Please be informed that the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone that will be activated using Verizon network and this phone cannot be unlocked.
Well, duh, I know it's not "CDMA-unlocked", that's just silly ... I'm not talking about that, and no one there seems to understand that. I'm talking about its SIM card slot, which would use GSM like the identical prepaid Verizon (GSM-unlocked) iPhone.

Last edited by clavier223; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
clavier223 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #248
aka777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Here is where the "unlocked" confusion lies. An e-mail from Straight Talk:

Well, duh, I know it's not "CDMA-unlocked", that's just silly ... I'm not talking about that, and no one there seems to understand that. I'm talking about it's SIM card slot, which would use GSM like the identical prepaid Verizon (GSM-unlocked) iPhone.

What are people failing to grasp?

The ST Iphone is the Verizon CDMA version but the LTE module has been disabled.

Like the Verizon model, the handset is unlocked and allows you to use any GSM sim card.

Therefore, you can use AT&T or Tmobile (HSPA) too. However, as with the Verizon model, this model does not support AT&T LTE.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:21 PM   #249
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
What are people failing to grasp?

The ST Iphone is the Verizon CDMA version but the LTE module has been disabled.

Like the Verizon model, the handset is unlocked and allows you to use any GSM sim card.

Therefore, you can use AT&T or Tmobile (HSPA) too. However, as with the Verizon model, this model does not support AT&T LTE.
It's not disable, the thing is just activated via ESN without a SIM card, so there is no authentication for LTE. Stick a postpaid Verizon SIM in there, and you'll have LTE just like a Verizon iPhone 5. No LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support Band 17 or 4.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:23 AM   #250
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular

think about what you are saying.. sticking an active verizon postpaid sim card in there. where would you get such a sim w/o having verizon service? and if you have verizon service, why would you have straighttalk service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
It's not disable, the thing is just activated via ESN without a SIM card, so there is no authentication for LTE. Stick a postpaid Verizon SIM in there, and you'll have LTE just like a Verizon iPhone 5. No LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support Band 17 or 4.
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion