Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless are now carrying the iPhone 5, offering a $45 unlimited talk, text and data plan with no contract. It was previously reported by That's It Guys. Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not.

Like other prepaid plans such as Virgin Mobile, users must pay full price for their iPhones without having them subsidized by the carrier. Unlike Virgin Mobile, Walmart is offering holders of the Walmart credit card a no-interest fixed payment plan for $25/month. This allows customers to have a unlimited talk, text and data plan for a total of $70/month before taxes and fees.

straightalk.jpg
Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless, America's largest and top rated no-contract cell phone provider, today put the power back in the hands of customers with an industry game changing offer. Starting on January 11, 2013 in more than 2,000 Walmart stores and online at Walmart.com, customers now have access to the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 on Straight Talk's $45 no contract unlimited talk, text and data plan. To make this offer even more affordable, Walmart will be offering customers who purchase the phone in the store, a no interest fixed-monthly payments special financing offer for only $25 a month with a Walmart Credit Card.

The Straight Talk wireless no contract plan, exclusive to Walmart, saves consumers on average $950 a year when they switch from conventional contract plans with similar unlimited plans. To learn more about how Straight Talk Wireless saves consumers $950 a year, please visit: www.straighttalk.com.
The iPhone 5 is available in black or white for $649 for the 16GB model only, and the iPhone 4 is available in black or white for $449 for the 8GB model.

Article Link: Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Network?

How do we evaluate the network coverage/quality of this deal? Is Straight Talk really the carrier with its own network or do they really buy time on one of the bigger networks, i.e. the customer is really buying into the physical infrastructure of another; if so, which one. Thanks

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
how do we evaluate the network coverage/quality of this deal? Is straight talk really the carrier with its own network or do they really buy time on one of the bigger networks, i.e. The customer is really buying into the physical infrastructure of another; if so, which one. Thanks

att

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
How do we evaluate the network coverage/quality of this deal? Is Straight Talk really the carrier with its own network or do they really buy time on one of the bigger networks, i.e. the customer is really buying into the physical infrastructure of another; if so, which one. Thanks
RTFA. :)

"Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not."

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Music to my ears! Hammer out an LTE provision in that MVNO contract, straight talk. Get some of those services like visual voice mail going and we have our David.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Funny, because I just switched from AT&T to Straight for the $45 plan.

I set it up using my Locked AT&T iPhone 5. Works fine.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY

With 99% certainty, it will be AT&T's HSDP+ network (4G, not lte in the top left of the phone). I'd love to be surprised by LTE, but highly doubtful.

Zealous

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Charleston, IL
Can You...

$45/mo is way cheaper then my Verizon plan. It says that it will include data on the AT&T network. :) I wonder if this includes using the phone as a mobile hotspot.

Someone else please buy this plan and report back to us on the stats! :D

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Holy moly!

I may have to go for that $25/mo financing and sell my current iphone 4.

This must mean no jailbreak req'd for MMS and everything works out of the box.

I'm assuming no LTE

Color me surprised and excited!

----------

$45/mo is way cheaper then my Verizon plan. It says that it will include data on the AT&T network. :) I wonder if this includes using the phone as a mobile hotspot.

Someone else please buy this plan and report back to us on the stats! :D

I'm quite sure jailbreak will continue to be req'd for tethering. It is against the TOS, staying under the unofficial 2GB limit and I've never had problems doing limited tethering. Believe it or not, streaming video/music is against their TOS as well.

Zealous

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Charleston, IL
Holy moly!

I may have to go for that $25/mo financing and sell my current iphone 4.

This must mean no jailbreak req'd for MMS and everything works out of the box.

I'm assuming no LTE

Color me surprised and excited!

----------

I'm quite sure jailbreak will continue to be req'd for tethering. It is against the TOS, staying under the unofficial 2GB limit and I've never had problems tethering. Believe it or not, streaming video/music is against their TOS as well.

Oh... well then... I guess I'll keep my unlimited data plan with Verizon then and continue to use tether.com for my tethering needs. ;D

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
that's a heck of a deal. at&t can't be too happy about this.

Nah. They're just selling them capacity in bulk And bringing in money they wouldn't get otherwise. They can always degrade Tracfone customers service if the load is too high.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Unlimited data?

Sure. Until you hit 200MB/day or 2GB/month and your speeds slow to a crawl*.

*So says current StraightTalk users.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Big whoop. This is already available by going to an Apple store and then a Wal-Mart. And it's more cost effective if you buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Ive been on ST for a few months with a 4S. It is not LTE, and on ATT's backbone. For the money no complaints, and visual voicemail will not work, but you can use Youmail instead for free.

I used ST before I had my iPhones and liked it. I see no value in a iPhone 5 as I would of got one.

Very satisfied. Besides buggy stuff with iMessage a happy customer

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Music to my ears! Hammer out an LTE provision in that MVNO contract, straight talk. Get some of those services like visual voice mail going and we have our David.

lol, a David 100% reliant on buying airtime from Goliath? T-mobile dropping subsidies (if they actually stick to that) is perhaps a more meaningful bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.