Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
smoledman
macrumors 65816

MS says it sold 60 million copies of Windows 8

Means something right?
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Try Windows 8 Usage Sinks Below Vista.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
boss.king
macrumors 68040

I don't see the problem. Vista was bad, so people scrambled to get a better OS. Windows 7 was stunningly good, and many people have no need to upgrade until their next computer.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:35 AM   #4
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Windows 8 could be the best Windows OS ever made if it wasn't for mandating that stupid touch UI on traditional machines.
MorphingDragon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:51 AM   #5
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Really don't understand the negativity towards Windows 8. Whereas admittedly, it isn't a 'must have' upgrade, especially if you're using a desktop and you already have Windows 7, but it certainly isn't as bad as people are making out.

It has a nice new fullscreen start menu, some great new desktop features, much faster and less resource consuming than Windows 7 and game performance is improved marginally as well with DX11.1. Not to mention, the new start screen is touch friendly and has an app store full of tablet apps if you're on a tablet.

A winner as far as I'm concerned. Its great on a tablet and a desktop.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Means something right?
To Microsoft. Not sure what it means to MacRumors.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:03 AM   #7
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
To Microsoft. Not sure what it means to MacRumors.
Just as much as the Samsung 8- inch 4K TV means to MR in the Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

Glad I am not in that 60 million. I'm even more happy now with my iMac.
iHailCarlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:08 PM   #9
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Windows 8 would be better than Windows 7 if they included the old start menu and kept the desktop as an option at start up.

Since I installed a custom start menu on Windows 8 I must say it is a nice OS. Having metro is something that takes getting used to, but it is useful once you do.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

That's probably more than the total Mac OS X sales of all time.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:43 AM   #11
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Really don't understand the negativity towards Windows 8. Whereas admittedly, it isn't a 'must have' upgrade, especially if you're using a desktop and you already have Windows 7, but it certainly isn't as bad as people are making out.

Because if you actually use it for work, it is functionally inferior, and makes you learn a new UI to have this inferior functionality.

Search is broken (classic search can't search metro data, and vice versa, metro search can't seach across all document types at the same time, can't specify complex queries, etc).

Metro apps are full screen only or some useless 1/3rd view. Should be called microsoft "window"

60 million includes their customers on enterprise support who get this "free" as part of their subscription whether they are running it or not.
throAU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 AM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHailCarlo View Post
Glad I am not in that 60 million. I'm even more happy now with my iMac.
You're not Microsoft's problem, or only to a very small degree. The ones that are even happier now with their Windows 7 PC, those are Microsoft's problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
That's probably more than the total Mac OS X sales of all time.
It's less than iOS sales in the same time frame.

And importantly, every copy of MacOS X means Apple has sold a Macintosh at average sale price over $1,000. Windows 8 sale means Microsoft sold an OEM version to a PC maker for less than $50.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 AM   #13
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Because if you actually use it for work, it is functionally inferior, and makes you learn a new UI to have this inferior functionality.
There isn't much to learn. Ignore the tablet/metro stuff and you just have a classic desktop environment with a fullscreen Start Menu, great for desktops and laptops. That said, I wouldn't use or recommend it for work, unless you're using a touchscreen device. Windows 7 still has years worth of support left, so it hardly matters. Many companies are still using XP.

Quote:
Search is broken (classic search can't search metro data, and vice versa, metro search can't seach across all document types at the same time, can't specify complex queries, etc).
I have yet to notice that. Then again, I just do basic searches.

Quote:
Metro apps are full screen only or some useless 1/3rd view. Should be called microsoft "window"
That's because the metro apps for for tablets, not desktops. Just ignore them or delete them on a non-touchscreen computer. That interface just sort of melts into the background and becomes un-noticeable. It isn't a hard concept. But still, no point as Windows 7 is still in support.

Quote:
60 million includes their customers on enterprise support who get this "free" as part of their subscription whether they are running it or not.
So what?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:24 AM   #14
GermanyChris
Banned

I like Windows 8 it's refreshing to so MS do something creative for once. I do think Win 8 is a transition and that Windows 9 will be fully metro. That will give full cohesion between Windows Mobile and Windows desktop.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:29 AM   #15
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I actually quite like them metro UI, looks very modern and fresh. I think it's nice how it looks the same on Xbox, Windows and Windows Phone - good consistency.

I Think it's just a case of waiting for people to by some new PC's - it's time will come.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 PM   #16
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

I actually like the new interface. It's nice to see something new from MS but apparently most people don't like hange. I don't use windows regularly, but I like the UI on XBOX and its nice to see Win 8 go that direction.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:55 PM   #17
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I like Windows 8 it's refreshing to so MS do something creative for once. I do think Win 8 is a transition and that Windows 9 will be fully metro. That will give full cohesion between Windows Mobile and Windows desktop.
Getting rid of the desktop would be suicide for Microsoft. W8 sales are too low and people are not adapting to metro like MS wants it to.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:10 AM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Getting rid of the desktop would be suicide for Microsoft. W8 sales are too low and people are not adapting to metro like MS wants it to.
MS would be stupid to axe the desktop interface anytime in the next decade. The metro interface is for consumer touchscreen devices, as consumers don't really need much more than that. The desktop interface remains for anyone who wants to do something a little more advanced.

This isn't a move from desktop to metro. Its giving consumers the simplicity they want on new touch based interfaces as well as providing for them who actually want to do something more than web browse and download apps.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:07 AM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
We're less than 6 months in..we've got 4 or so years to adapt.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:01 AM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
I actually quite like them metro UI, looks very modern and fresh. I think it's nice how it looks the same on Xbox, Windows and Windows Phone - good consistency.

I Think it's just a case of waiting for people to by some new PC's - it's time will come.
The problem is with the live tiles it can sometimes look like a hot mess.

Thumb resize.

Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:06 AM   #21
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

And I have one copy; runs under VMWare Fusion on my Mac to control my VMware ESXi server. Looking for a nice tablet to run it native.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #22
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
The problem is with the live tiles it can sometimes look like a hot mess.

Thumb resize.

True, in recent years there has been a migration in Microsoft products to show data in an 'everything at once' style rather than hierarchical menus. Office with tabs is the perfect example.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:57 PM   #23
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
True, in recent years there has been a migration in Microsoft products to show data in an 'everything at once' style rather than hierarchical menus. Office with tabs is the perfect example.
its not really everything at once, its more of a just showing the important info for each app at a glance. It works great on windows phone.
boss.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:07 PM   #24
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
There isn't much to learn. Ignore the tablet/metro stuff and you just have a classic desktop environment with a fullscreen Start Menu, great for desktops and laptops. That said, I wouldn't use or recommend it for work, unless you're using a touchscreen device. Windows 7 still has years worth of support left, so it hardly matters. Many companies are still using XP.
Which begs the question: why bother installing it?

Search is still broken, no matter how much money you spend on (legitimately) getting the start menu back.

Now don't misunderstand me - i'm not anti-new-stuff. I was the one pushing our company to get onto Windows 7 and off XP (built our SOE, automated deployment infrastructure, etc.).

I just do not see any functional advantage to Windows 8 on the desktop that is worth upgrading from Windows 7 for.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:19 AM   #25
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Which begs the question: why bother installing it?

Search is still broken, no matter how much money you spend on (legitimately) getting the start menu back.

Now don't misunderstand me - i'm not anti-new-stuff. I was the one pushing our company to get onto Windows 7 and off XP (built our SOE, automated deployment infrastructure, etc.).

I just do not see any functional advantage to Windows 8 on the desktop that is worth upgrading from Windows 7 for.
Whereas I agree it isn't a must have upgrade and more directed at tablet devices, there are several reasons why Windows 8 suits me.
  • Lightning fast. Startup and shutdown takes seconds at most. Everything else seems to be snappy.
  • Better GFX performance and DirectX 11.1 (my Windows machine is a gaming rig)
  • New Time Machine-esske backup system (at last!)
  • Inbuilt antivirus (at last!)
  • The Start Menu in Windows 7 was rather small and hard to use at my resolution. The New Start Screen has solved this.
  • Was never a big fan or Aero (but I understand a lot of people are)
  • Storage Spaces is fantastic for if one of my HDDs failed
  • Plenty of tweaks to existsing desktop features that make them more powerful and useful
  • Appears to use less resources than Windows 7
  • Never had a problem with search in Start or Explorer. Maybe they'll fix your problem someday.

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

As far as I'm concerned, Windows 8 is a step in the right direction. A touch compatible and simple interface for them who just want to do basic app stuff and A faster and more advanced desktop interface for them who want to do something a little more complex. All connected by the Start Screen.

I agree it isn't a must have if you're fine with Windows 7 (and Windows 7 will be supported for years and years to come), but I certainly don't think it is bad. Since the evolution of the desktop interface appears to be coming to an end, its nice that Microsoft are contributing more than a notes app as a new feature for it.

Last edited by roadbloc; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion