Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

judgejohn82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys,

I've spent the last half hour or so trying to find an answer to this without success.

Is there any way in ML to make folders in either Library folder visible in Spotlight searches? I remember in Snow Leopard there was an option to include System Files or similar in searches, but there doesn't appear to be such an option in ML.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any way in ML to make folders in either Library folder visible in Spotlight searches? I remember in Snow Leopard there was an option to include System Files or similar in searches, but there doesn't appear to be such an option in ML.
No, you can locate and search them with Finder, but Spotlight won't return search results from the Library folders.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion and ML. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion and ML:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible in Finder by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

judgejohn82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
No, you can locate and search them with Finder, but Spotlight won't return search results from the Library folders.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion and ML. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion and ML:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible in Finder by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

Wow that was quick!

Thanks for confirming. I already have Finder set to show the ~/Library folder, so I will just access it that way. Would have been nice to access it through Spotlight but hey ho.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.