Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:12 PM   #151
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
You guys haven't downloaded yet?! OMG is soooo fast! and like all the new features OMG it like a new phone guys!
__________________
13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz > iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey AT&T > iPad 4 > Apple TV 3
adam044 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:15 PM   #152
JBlueNote
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Please, please: today.

for developers and the general public.

That'd be great.

I needz mah jailbroken 5.
It would be great if they released sometime today, tomorrow, or Sunday, but that would still probably give us about no more than a month before the iOS 6.1 jailbreak, if the exploits work, would come out, I think, unless they have released jailbreaks in the past in days of the new software coming out. I hope it'll just be a week of waiting once iOS 6.1 comes out. I can take another month, but man...
JBlueNote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #153
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
Why?
A few important reasons come to mind:

1.) It's not completely stable as compared to the GM/final version
2.) You cannot update over the air (OTA) from a beta to the GM. Thus, be prepared to be at a computer where you can download the firmware.
3.) Going from a beta to the GM without a clean restore isn't as clean of an install, thus you are better off going from a final released product (6.0.1/6.0.2) to 6.1
4.) If you are somewhere without a computer or wifi between Sunday and Monday, and the beta expires before you can downgrade/update to the GM, you're SOL as the software expires.
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:30 PM   #154
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
So to put 6.0.1 release back on the phone (keeping what we already have as far as apps, settings, music, etc), and get rid of the beta we go to apple's website, and download the 6.0.1 release, then restore?
__________________
@JBoDEAN

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #155
mactmaster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
So to put 6.0.1 release back on the phone (keeping what we already have as far as apps, settings, music, etc), and get rid of the beta we go to apple's website, and download the 6.0.1 release, then restore?
I'm pretty sure you cannot keep your apps, settings, etc. since you won't be able to restore a backup from 6.1 onto 6.0.1.
mactmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #156
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
You guys haven't downloaded yet?! OMG is soooo fast! and like all the new features OMG it like a new phone guys!
?
robdam1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:20 PM   #157
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a
 
BlueGummiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
You could just set the date back in your phone and it won't brick if you're THAT concerned about it. Your calendar reminders and other date dependent apps will be off though.
BlueGummiBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:20 PM   #158
Drich290195
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
To go from beta to gm do you have to download the gm through iTunes or can it be downloaded through iTunes
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:23 PM   #159
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a
 
BlueGummiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drich290195 View Post
To go from beta to gm do you have to download the gm through iTunes or can it be downloaded through iTunes
Re-read what you just posted.
BlueGummiBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #160
pugnut
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
It is not possible to downgrade...
false- DFU and restore via iTunes. You can not use the icloud backup based on 6.1 so you have to start anew.
pugnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #161
Drich290195
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
My apologies I meant to go from beta to gm do you have to download from the developers site or an it be upgraded through iTunes
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #162
Saberon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Despite what Apple says, you can ALWAYS downgrade to the latest signed firmware (6.0.1/6.0.2 right now) by using a DFU restore.
Saberon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #163
Sonisk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I had 6.1 on my iP5 just 5 minutes ago and did this. Works perfectly.
I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.
Sonisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:52 PM   #164
Drich290195
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
So to answer the question will the gm be available through iTunes or is it from the developers page only
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:59 PM   #165
Sonisk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
A GM is only offered to developers. An official release will appear in iTunes, and in OTA updates.

If Apple choose to release both public and GM the same day nobody knows. It would be extremely uncommon on one hand, since they normally give devs one weeks headstart with a GM. On the other it looks like that might happen, since Cook promised us in Europe that we will get LTE this upcoming week in an update. Maybe they release 6.0.3 for the public, and a 6.1 beta 5 for devs next week. But also very uncommon if that would happen. My bet is on 6.1 for everyone next week.
Sonisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:19 PM   #166
AppleNewsTech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisk View Post
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I had 6.1 on my iP5 just 5 minutes ago and did this. Works perfectly.
I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.

How did you it loose all of your contacts, calenders, etc.? It's not like you can restore from iCloud backup?
__________________
|MacBook Pro 13"| iPhone 4S 16 GB|
The New iPad 32 GB| |Apple TV| |iMac 21.5"|
|Macbook Air| |iPod Touch 4th Generation|
AppleNewsTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:27 PM   #167
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
How did you it loose all of your contacts, calenders, etc.? It's not like you can restore from iCloud backup?
Good point.
__________________
@JBoDEAN

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:53 PM   #168
jredecop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisk View Post
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I had 6.1 on my iP5 just 5 minutes ago and did this. Works perfectly.
I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.
Yup, did this with my mini, works perfectly.
jredecop is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:59 PM   #169
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisk View Post
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I had 6.1 on my iP5 just 5 minutes ago and did this. Works perfectly.
I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.
So you didnt have to reinstall your apps, add you mail settings, etc?
__________________
@JBoDEAN

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:20 PM   #170
jredecop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
So you didnt have to reinstall your apps, add you mail settings, etc?
Nope. I did this as well on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Back up just in case.
jredecop is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 PM   #171
AppleNewsTech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredecop View Post
Nope. I did this as well on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Back up just in case.

When I did it on my iPad 4th gen, it deleted earthing in addition to sip stalling 6.0.1. I clicked option then restore while selecting the ISPW. If I click shift instead do you thnk ill keep all of my stuff on my iPhone 5?
__________________
|MacBook Pro 13"| iPhone 4S 16 GB|
The New iPad 32 GB| |Apple TV| |iMac 21.5"|
|Macbook Air| |iPod Touch 4th Generation|
AppleNewsTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:33 PM   #172
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredecop View Post
Nope. I did this as well on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Back up just in case.
Thanks, worked as advertised.
__________________
@JBoDEAN

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:43 PM   #173
jredecop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
When I did it on my iPad 4th gen, it deleted earthing in addition to sip stalling 6.0.1. I clicked option then restore while selecting the ISPW. If I click shift instead do you thnk ill keep all of my stuff on my iPhone 5?
Hit update, not restore. Then find your ISPW you downloaded.
jredecop is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:08 PM   #174
AppleNewsTech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredecop View Post
Hit update, not restore. Then find your ISPW you downloaded.


Wow thanks so much!!! It worked like a charm! 😄😊😄😊😄
__________________
|MacBook Pro 13"| iPhone 4S 16 GB|
The New iPad 32 GB| |Apple TV| |iMac 21.5"|
|Macbook Air| |iPod Touch 4th Generation|
AppleNewsTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:42 AM   #175
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Technically, Apple could wait until Sunday to do it, just would seem like they're really running behind or are feeling time pressured.

On the contrary, has apple ever skipped the GM of a X.1.0 update and just gone straight to final release?

Either way there isn't much room for concern, they stated LTE functionality before end of next week, which needs to come in the form of iOS 6.1, thus the timeline is the same regardless of the GM date changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisk View Post
A GM is only offered to developers. An official release will appear in iTunes, and in OTA updates.

If Apple choose to release both public and GM the same day nobody knows. It would be extremely uncommon on one hand, since they normally give devs one weeks headstart with a GM. On the other it looks like that might happen, since Cook promised us in Europe that we will get LTE this upcoming week in an update. Maybe they release 6.0.3 for the public, and a 6.1 beta 5 for devs next week. But also very uncommon if that would happen. My bet is on 6.1 for everyone next week.
Based on information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK...elease_history it seems like neither iOS 5.1, 4.1, 3.1 (and none of the 2.X releases) had GM builds (that were released). Perhaps Apple would simply be continuing what appears to be a well established pattern for X.1 iOS updates by going straight to final and not releasing a GM.

Last edited by C DM; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7 GM Release Date AppleNewsTech iOS 7 33 Aug 6, 2013 06:23 PM
Official iOS 7 Release Date??? hooplehead iOS 7 6 Jun 11, 2013 07:51 AM
iPhone: Estimated iOS 7 release date. lukejc1 iOS 7 16 Jun 8, 2013 03:52 PM
General: Release date new iOS version hallk iOS 6 3 Apr 18, 2013 03:17 PM
iOS 6.01 Release date and fixes? metsjetsfan iOS 6 12 Oct 1, 2012 07:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC