Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:36 AM   #51
eRondeau
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada's South Coast
Sometimes the easiest answer is the most obvious -- call the hotel manager and ask him if the network blocks AppleTV connections. If the manager doesn't know ask how to contact the contractor that set it up for them.
eRondeau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:47 PM   #52
thebdpm
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
They don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRondeau View Post
Sometimes the easiest answer is the most obvious -- call the hotel manager and ask him if the network blocks AppleTV connections. If the manager doesn't know ask how to contact the contractor that set it up for them.
When I pull into a hotel late at night, the last thing the person at the desk would know how to do is anything with the internet. I am completely on my own.
thebdpm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:10 PM   #53
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Because it is probably blocked.

Why is this?

One hotel
One DSL/cable connection

X number of rooms.


Their network most likely simply does not have enough throughput to cater for their customers streaming video over it.

Even if you circumvent their blocking, the bandwidth will still be shared amonst all the other visitors and will likely not be sufficient.
It also encourages you to use the hotel's PPV service.
__________________
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
Pebble SmartWatch | iPhone 5c | 11" Macbook Air '13 | HTPC | TV | Numerous Old Consoles
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 PM   #54
thebdpm
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Apple TV/Netflix.....NOPE!!!

Ok, over the last month, I have tried and tried with no luck. Either sharing wi-fi or the many tricks I have tried through this forum, it produces slow speeds.....if I can even get it to work at all! My thoughts of becoming seamless with all my other apple products is impossible without the browser like the other versions offer.

Maybe someday ATV will come out with one with a browser.


I just want to take the time to thank everyone for your wisdom and many suggestions. Thank you very much!!
thebdpm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 AM   #55
jeff92k7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebdpm View Post
<snip> it produces slow speeds.....if I can even get it to work at all!
This is to be expected and is not an issue with the Apple TV. It is an issue with the speed of the hotel's internet service. A lot of hotels will throttle or completely block connections to netflix because of the high bandwidth needs that those connections have. It takes too much bandwidth away from other guests who would like to use the internet too - often for more important things like actual business needs.

Don't blame the product because of the hotel's internet connection.

The apple TV is still a great travel companion since you can watch your iTunes library content on the hotel TV. I've never seen it as a reasonable Netflix interface in hotels because of the internet issues, but it works great for watching movies that you have already downloaded into iTunes.
jeff92k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #56
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Most hotels, restaurants, cafes, have accept terms of the free use which requires you to launch the borwser on your phone, ipad, ipod, laptop to accept, since the ATV does not have a browser your porked
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
64GB iPhone 6 Gold(en route)
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM   #57
thebdpm
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Speeds are not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
This is to be expected and is not an issue with the Apple TV. It is an issue with the speed of the hotel's internet service. A lot of hotels will throttle or completely block connections to netflix because of the high bandwidth needs that those connections have. It takes too much bandwidth away from other guests who would like to use the internet too - often for more important things like actual business needs.

Don't blame the product because of the hotel's internet connection.

The apple TV is still a great travel companion since you can watch your iTunes library content on the hotel TV. I've never seen it as a reasonable Netflix interface in hotels because of the internet issues, but it works great for watching movies that you have already downloaded into iTunes.
I don't know that I am fully confident in the ATV at this point. When I used to hook up my iphone via the AV Component cables, it worked fine as far as speed. Pixelated and somewhat slow at times (rare) but for the most part, it worked every time. Just did not like the quality. As far as the ATV, and sharing from my laptop, it has proved to be non-effective and IF I get it to work at all, speeds are far less than that of my old, pixelated method.

I have always loved Apple products. As for the ATV, I will take it back and figure something out until they get one with a browser. Carrying a 15 foot Ethernet Cable and "trying" to patch in and get it to work is a little exhausting.

Thanks
thebdpm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:56 PM   #58
xnatex
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebdpm View Post
I don't know that I am fully confident in the ATV at this point. When I used to hook up my iphone via the AV Component cables, it worked fine as far as speed. Pixelated and somewhat slow at times (rare) but for the most part, it worked every time.
That's because you were downloading a low resolution version of the video you were trying to watch, because it was optimized for an iPhone screen and not a large high-def TV screen. That's why it was pixelated and not slow. You were downloading like half the resolution.

Also, when you used your iPhone, was it over the hotel's wifi, or 3G (or 4G or LTE or whatever)? Because you may be comparing the hotel's throttled wifi at 1080p (or 720p) resolution to your full speed data plan that is downloading mobile versions of videos, which is comparing apples to oranges.

I use an AppleTV at home for Hulu Plus and Netflix all the time. We have two in my house that frequently run simultaneously and never have any troubles you are talking about. Like others have said, the hotel doesn't want you hogging all of the bandwidth, so they limit you. You can also (as others have said) check your bandwidth at speedtest.net on your laptop and see what you're working with. This will also help you figure out if they have different restrictions on the wifi network vs wired networks.

But when you really get down to it, you can't blame the AppleTV for the hotel's restricted internet. I personally have never been in a hotel that doesn't take at least 1-2 seconds to load a facebook page (which is a long time when you really think about the total file download size).

Not sure if it has already been said, but you may want to consider getting yourself a wifi hotspot. It might cost you like $40 a month (I'm completely making up a price here), but it will always work when you have cell signal on it. Then you give it a nice tough password and authenticate your AppleTV once and you're good to go without any hassles. Just plug in your AppleTV and turn on the hotspot and enjoy.
xnatex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #59
Legios
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Run a speedtest while on the hotel network, that should tell you what the bandwidth you are working with. Im willing to bet the ping is very high and the speeds are much lower then you think.
Legios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:42 PM   #60
lgoodkni
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Not all that difficult guys

i have done this many times. First add Couch surfer to your apple tv.
The reason many of you are not getting all your icons is because you are not logged onto their internet. As soon as you are the icons will reappear.

Start your apple tv and hit couch surfer. all it is is a small browser. Make a selection such as the google page and what you shuld get is the hotel acceptance page or page to type a password.

Then exit couch surfer. Your icons will come back and you can go to settings and select the wireless net.

You are on.
lgoodkni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:20 AM   #61
foofan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
I use the BearExtender to make the connection to the Hotel Network and then use the built in wifi to create my own local network for all of my devices. iPads, iPhones etc. Have not used my AppleTV but it should work as well.

Also, the BearExtender is much better at making the connection to the hotel wifi which is normally not that close.

Also, more and more the hotels want to charge for each device which I feel is pretty crazy. I guess they don't want you share with other traveling companions.

http://store.bearextender.com

Could you elaborate when you say you use the bearextender and builtin wifi to share your devices? I just ordered the bear extender and thought i could only use one device with it.
foofan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #62
d21mike
macrumors 68020
 
d21mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
Could you elaborate when you say you use the bearextender and builtin wifi to share your devices? I just ordered the bear extender and thought i could only use one device with it.
The Bear Extender is a USB Wifi Device that you use to connect to the Internet Source like your Hotel Wifi (like you do now with your macbook wifi adapter - you now have 2). It has better range then the Wifi Adapter built into your Macbook. Then you use the Macbook built in Wifi Adapter to create a Wifi Hot Spot for all of your devices. I.E. You share it.

I did a quick search on google for how to macbook wifi hotspot and found this:

http://macgroup.org/blog/2010/09/27/...-wifi-hotspot/
__________________
Mike

Last edited by d21mike; Jul 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
d21mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:08 PM   #63
foofan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
The Bear Extender is a USB Wifi Device that you use to connect to the Internet Source like your Hotel Wifi (like you do now with your macbook wifi adapter - you now have 2). It has better range then the Wifi Adapter built into your Macbook. Then you use the Macbook built in Wifi Adapter to create a Wifi Hot Spot for all of your devices. I.E. You share it.

I did a quick search on google for how to macbook wifi hotspot and found this:

http://macgroup.org/blog/2010/09/27/...-wifi-hotspot/
thanks for getting back to me. Since my post i searched on youtube and found an old video from bearextender that describes how to share the connection. I cant wait to get mine now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCcjHSEZqsA

Recommend a good antenna?
foofan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:18 PM   #64
d21mike
macrumors 68020
 
d21mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
Recommend a good antenna?
You have a choice of 2 antenna's when you purchase the BearExtender. I decided to go with the more expensive one for better coverage. I found this to work pretty well. I tested while on travel and I could connect with the BearExtender where I could not with any of my other devices due to the range.
I also carry a ThunderBolt-Ethernet Adapter for my MacBook Air. If your room has a Ethernet connection this or course works better then the BearExtender because you are hardwired. Your MacBook WiFi Hotspot will work the same as described.
__________________
Mike
d21mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Replaces Hotel Room Keys in New Pilot Program MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 94 Feb 2, 2014 02:19 AM
2012 27" iMac-how difficult is it to move from room to room webhappy iMac 17 Jul 2, 2013 09:22 PM
iHome in Hotel room - help please pw2989 iPhone Accessories 6 May 3, 2013 08:03 AM
Connecting multiple Apple Tv for hotel hermitsethi Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Sep 25, 2012 01:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC