Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:27 AM   #1
helios16v
macrumors regular

$192 4TB iMac Upgrade? Possible?

My local Future Shop has a 4TB Western Digital MyBook on for $229 but at Best Buy they have it for $199 and 15% off so I just got it price matched today and walked out with this bad boy for $192 taxes in and after I got it home I surely though it was going to be two 2TB drives for that price but it's actually just one 4TB internal drive for $192.
The WD Black 4TB internal bare drive is $349.. how can this be so cheap? Does anyone know what the inside of these single drive MyBook's look like? Is this just a normal SATA drive in en enclosure?

Could I not just go back to Future Shop, price match another 4TB MyBook, rip it apart and put the 4TB drive in my iMac?

Od did Western Digital think of this and make a fancy USB only PCB on the bottom of the hard drive like on their portable series hard drives?

I don't really want to rip apart my new hard drive just yet which is why I'm asking and I don't wanna blow $192 on a second drive and find out I have no use for it if it wont work as an internal drive for the iMac.

If this is possible I'll surely be making a tutorial on how you can do a $192 4TB HDD Upgrade, at least until the 11th when the sale ends.
helios16v is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:33 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Why shouldn't this work?

It depends what Mac though, the new iMac's 21" have 2.5" drives so that won't work, and if it is the new 27" you have to open it which is more difficult than the older iMac's, and potentially voiding warranty.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
potentially voiding warranty.
Most certainly Voiding warranty on iMac

and my suspicion is your fans will crank up to max and sit there with a non-stock drive just like on the last model iMac.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:09 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Most certainly Voiding warranty on iMac

and my suspicion is your fans will crank up to max and sit there with a non-stock drive just like on the last model iMac.
Oh yeah, forgot about the temp. sensors.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot about the temp. sensors.
Yup, remember, an Apple product is a disposable product, not an up-gradable PC
You have to buy a new one everytime you want an upgrade, not perform an upgrade yourself, cheaply, and rob apple of its 80% profit margin

if you REALLY want a 4TB drive, your only real option is a thunderbolt caddy, expensive but works

saying that, i have a 21inch 2011 iMac, which has had a dremel tool taken to it to fit the 2GB 27inch video card in...it rocks now.

Last edited by Nightarchaon; Jan 9, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Nightarchaon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:54 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yup, remember, an Apple product is a disposable product, not an up-gradable PC
You have to buy a new one everytime you want an upgrade, not perform an upgrade yourself, cheaply, and rob apple of its 80% profit margin

----------

if you REALLY want a 4TB drive, your only real option is a thunderbolt caddy, expensive but works

saying that, i have a 21inch 2011 iMac, which has had a dremel tool taken to it to fit the 2GB 27inch video card in...it rocks now.
You quoted your own post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	29
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	388968  
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You quoted your own post.
i know, it all went a bit pair shaped and i hit F5 and weird things happened

i think i hit Quote instead of edit... that must be it...i blame windows on my work PC, its always a windows bug when anything bad happens
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:35 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
i know, it all went a bit pair shaped and i hit F5 and weird things happened

i think i hit Quote instead of edit... that must be it...i blame windows on my work PC, its always a windows bug when anything bad happens
Yup, I agree, must be Windows.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:02 PM   #9
helios16v
macrumors regular

Well I meant more along the lines of what does the drive look like inside these MyBook's?

With my old 320GB Western Digital Passport Portable HDD, it fell out of my pocket into some water so I opened it up to clean it out and make sure it was nice and dry before turning it back on and when I opened it up it's not SATA or PATA, it has it's own special Micro USB only PCB on the bottom of the 2.5" HDD so I was wondering if these MyBooks are the same but with some special USB 3.0 PCB on the bottom or are they just regular SATA drives inside?

..and I have a Mid-2010 27" iMac as it says in my sign so.. what's this about a temperature sensor and fans going fast?
helios16v is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:24 PM   #10
utekineir
macrumors 6502

Few years back i had ripped apart a few mybooks for internal storage, drives worked just fine, but the shells were pretty much trash.

Not sure about the current wd mybooks. But i recently bought a 4tb seagate go flex from costco for $179 or so. Because of the docking design its way better for buying and stripping.

Disassembled like a champ within a few minutes, dropped the standard 3.5" drive into a bay and have a powered usb 3 sata dock to boot. Just sit something of proper thickness onto the dock to support a bare 3.5" drive and they plop right down.
utekineir is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help