Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I have a case that has a plastic piece on the back that is giving me a rainbow effect. Some users have suggested sprinkling baby powder to eliminate it. Is baby powder hard enough to scuff the iPhone 5's anodisation?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Isn't baby powder derived from talc a mineral? I'd not take a chance on using that on my iPhone

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
IT'S TIME TO PUT A STOP TO THE SENSELESS SLAUGHTER OF BABIES FOR PRODUCTION OF THEIR POWDER!

How many more babies must suffer just so that we can have their soft, white powder?!

I for one will NEVER use baby powder so long as I live.

SAVE THE BABIES!

(oh, to answer your question with a question -- Is it really worth risking scratching up your phone just to eliminate a "rainbow" effect that 98.6% of all people probably would never notice?)

Reactions: chabig

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Don't know, but if applied outside will make the phone more slippery. U maybe fixing a little no-problem to a bigger problem.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I'd be curious to know how baby powder is supposed to fix thin film interference.

Dunno but the makers of the OtterBox and others have recommended it for years.

It's not talc powder though. You use baby powder that is cornstarch based.

It works great. It only takes a tiny bit for it to work .

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I'd be curious to know how baby powder is supposed to fix thin film interference.

The powder just separates the case from the phone back. As long as they don't touch you won't have the optical interference.

But who wants to look at powder! I'd rather have the interference. :confused:

zybersniper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Lol, all your responses made my day! :D

Yes, i read that it fixes rainbow effects on cases as suggested by Otterbox. The difference is that the rainbow effect can be caused by either a plastic that is not completely of the same thickness as in a screen protector or simply moisture trapped between the protector and the phone. I'm looking for a fix for the latter.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
a light dusting of baby powder fixes watermarking and is not visible while in the case...no damage to screen or housing...and by light dusting I mean light not like how you would powder a baby's bottom or flour a counter top while making dough

it works, its fine and its not visible

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
[Uno reverse]
Yes, if you use the quill of the feather

Out of morbid curiosity, how'd you come across this thread from over six years ago? Were you reading that far back? Do you have first hand knowledge of scratching buffalo skin, were you searching for baby powder? Seriously, genuinely curious. Welcome, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.