Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1
jpxdude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Has anyone attempting independent testing of Mac Mini 2012 Power Consumption?

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted to measure the power consumption of the latest Mac Mini (2012) in sleep, and at idle and load? I have already seen the PDF on Apple's website quoting the figures at sleep and idle, but I'd be interested to know what forum member results might be?

I am considering leaving my Mini on 24/7 and controlling it remotely when I'm away, but concerned about how electricity is being used. As a new father, my budget is tight, energy prices (in the UK, about 20p per kWh) are high, and I'm trying to do things on a shoe string budget, especially since I got the 2.6GHz i7 mid-range unit as a part-xmas gift, and keen to use it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-J
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:40 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
No -- Presumably this would require some hardware meter to do this? (And don't forget the power of the monitor and other peripherals, though!)

You can of course schedule your Mac to shutdown and restart at specific times. This might be better than leaving it on all night.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:25 AM   #3
jpxdude
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hi there

Thanks for the reply! I've seen tests done on older Mac Mini hardware from 2009 and 10 using hardware such as Watts Up: https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php?pn=0

I was really just curious if anyone has done the same for the most recent hardware. As you have suggested, I have thought about doing the scheduled shut down and restart, but I'd personally like to have it on demand, especially when I'm away and really need access.

What is irksome is that OSX doesn't support proper WoL from power off only wake from sleep, but this would have really solved things for me.
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
August West
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
My 2012 Mini 2.6 i7, 16GB Ram & Samsung 840 Pro SSD draws 10W at idle/surfing etc. & 1W while sleeping.
August West is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:12 PM   #5
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
It is late but I WILL set my kill-a-watt to it for you in the morning.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
jpxdude
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
It is late but I WILL set my kill-a-watt to it for you in the morning.
Thank you! I really appreciate your help
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:45 AM   #7
slickadam
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany & Hungary
2012 base model

Idle: ca. 12 watt
Heavy Load: ca. 24-28 watt
Sleep: ca. 3-4 watt
slickadam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
My 2012 Mini 2.6 i7, 16GB Ram & Samsung 840 Pro SSD draws 10W at idle/surfing etc. & 1W while sleeping.
Any idea how much under load? Like handbrake or rendering files.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:56 PM   #9
jpxdude
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickadam View Post
2012 base model

Idle: ca. 12 watt
Heavy Load: ca. 24-28 watt
Sleep: ca. 3-4 watt
Thanks for providing these figures! Pardon my ignorance, but could you please tell me what the "ca" means by your figures? also where you've measured the wattage, over how long is this sustained?

Thanks again!
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #10
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpxdude View Post
Thanks for providing these figures! Pardon my ignorance, but could you please tell me what the "ca" means by your figures? also where you've measured the wattage, over how long is this sustained?

Thanks again!
ca = circa= about/approximate
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
My base 2012 mini pulls 12 watts on idle. one mod that of 8gb ram a pair of these 4gb sticks.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104257

the same mini pulls 13 watts with light net typing like this answer.


now if I run prime 95 which pushs the cpu a lot it pulls 26.9 watts running
if i run it with 1 thread out of 4. = 26.9 watts
if I run it with 2 threads out of 4 = 33.33 watts
if i run it with 3 threads out of 4 = 37.0 watts
if i max it to 4 threads out of 4 = 37 watts if i run the max prime 95 and toss in netflix

the machine is maxed watts are 40 and the mini will show watchable net flix in 1080p. while the cpu is maxed and the kill-a-watt read 40-41 watts.

no 2012 machine can do this just a base 2.5 mini it does run hot maxed look at the thumb nail.

so running the base mini is between 12 to 40 watts. and no one (a few I suppose) will run it at 40 watts. 24/7/365.

I do not sleep my mini just my monitor. But it will sleep under 2 watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 11.38.52 PM.png
Views:	443
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	389462  
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12
August West
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Any idea how much under load? Like handbrake or rendering files.
Sorry, I didn't check it under load and have since loaned my Kill-A-Watt to a coworker but it looks like philipma1957 has provided that info.
August West is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:14 AM   #13
jpxdude
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
My base 2012 mini pulls 12 watts on idle. one mod that of 8gb ram a pair of these 4gb sticks.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104257

the same mini pulls 13 watts with light net typing like this answer.


now if I run prime 95 which pushs the cpu a lot it pulls 26.9 watts running
if i run it with 1 thread out of 4. = 26.9 watts
if I run it with 2 threads out of 4 = 33.33 watts
if i run it with 3 threads out of 4 = 37.0 watts
if i max it to 4 threads out of 4 = 37 watts if i run the max prime 95 and toss in netflix

the machine is maxed watts are 40 and the mini will show watchable net flix in 1080p. while the cpu is maxed and the kill-a-watt read 40-41 watts.

no 2012 machine can do this just a base 2.5 mini it does run hot maxed look at the thumb nail.

so running the base mini is between 12 to 40 watts. and no one (a few I suppose) will run it at 40 watts. 24/7/365.

I do not sleep my mini just my monitor. But it will sleep under 2 watts.
Hi there!

I'm just replying to say thanks a lot for taking the time to run this test. I really appreciate it! I've decided to run the mini for about 12 - 14 hours sometimes headless with Teamviewer. I'm surprised how aggressively Apple have set the sleep behaviour for the Mini, which by default hibernates after 70 minutes!

After a little tinkering, I have managed to have it sleep and wake remotely for use without it switching into hibernate/deep sleep or dark wake/Power Nap state which is handy. Thanks again for all your help
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
That's awesome, thanks to the people who tested this.
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #15
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickadam View Post
2012 base model

Idle: ca. 12 watt
Heavy Load: ca. 24-28 watt
Sleep: ca. 3-4 watt
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
My 2012 Mini 2.6 i7, 16GB Ram & Samsung 840 Pro SSD draws 10W at idle/surfing etc. & 1W while sleeping.


i5 and i7 seem to have similar power consumption.

-----------------i5------------i7
Idle------------12W--------10W
Heavy load----24-28W------???
Sleep----------3-4W---------1W

I can safely assume the i7 will draw more than 24-28W under heavy load, however it would complete the job quicker due to the processing power so probably use similar/less power overall while under heavy load and then go back to idle once job is done.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 09:47 PM   #16
AnimaGR
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Mac Mini Power Usage

Hey guys, I just purchased a Mac Mini 2012 model (i5) and recorded some data using my Watts up Pro analyzer.

This thing has average 9.1W of power usage over the last 48h. I'll continue data logging as I use it but it is a pretty incredible little machine!

See below:

AnimaGR is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 07:02 AM   #17
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
nice
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power nap on Mac mini 2012 sponch Mac mini 2 Nov 1, 2013 07:00 AM
2012 Mac Mini server - Power Ifti Mac mini 9 Jul 2, 2013 01:24 AM
2012 Mac Mini power supply DJ Racing Mac mini 3 Feb 3, 2013 07:18 PM
2012 iMac power consumption is amazing! WilliamG iMac 3 Jan 14, 2013 08:15 AM
2012 15" MBP with SSD in raid 0 vs regular hard drive power consumption E4tmonkieshyt MacBook Pro 0 Aug 29, 2012 07:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC