Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I just discovered AirDroid in another thread and was impressed so I thought I would start a new thread.

It basically allows you to control aspects of your Android device from a web browser. And wow what it can do. Acts more like a dedicated app.

SMS: You can see your text messages and send them.

Screenshot: You can see your device's screen in near-real-time (similar to AirPlay). When you choose to take a screenshot it is saved on your pc or mac. Pretty nice.

Clipboard: Shows you the device's clipboard contents and lets you change it. Good for quickly moving text from pc/mac to your Android device's clipboard.

And a bunch of other stuff such as media browser with the ability to preview. I usually use Android File Transfer and sometimes it is a pain when I just want to look at a pic or vid and have to transfer to my mac first.

Anyway you can find it here:
http://www.airdroid.com/

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It will actually run in Safari on my iPhone 4S. I sent a text from my Nexus 4 via my iPhone 4S. :)

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_3664.PNG
    IMG_3664.PNG
    376.5 KB · Views: 191

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Thanks for the tip. This will be really helpful for me to transfer files to my Macbook Air. Android file transfer doesn't really work well with Samsung phones in my experience. Usually I take out my micro sd card and plug that up to make transfers.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm really getting a lot of use out of this app. My (powered) USB hub that I normally use to connect doesn't put out as much power as the included Nexus 4 charger. But since I often wanted to transfer a file or whatnot I left plugged in like that while working.

Now I can leave it on the AC charger, which is noticeably faster, and still have access to all my files and anything else. The file manager is very nice--hard to believe it is all done in a browser window. You can even copy/paste/delete/rename/download by right clicking. Very slick. Heck I wish dropbox and box worked as well with files as the file browser in AirDroid.

The photo viewer has a full-screen mode that works wonderfully for showing pics. It is like Airplay but works on anything.

I am mostly shocked that it is free. :)

Michael

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I've known about this app for quite a while now, however, I'd appreciate if you could confirm one detail for me.

Can you stream music from your phone over the browser with this app?

There is an app on the iPhone called "Music Exporter Pro" you launch it, enter the IP address of your phone on the network into the browser and it gives you an organized list of all songs in your Music.app, then you can click on any and play it from your browser or even drag and drop it a music player of your choice and if it supports playing over the network, the song will play just fine.

It's great for using your phone as a music center and also when you go to your friend's with a nice PC audio setup you can easily play music there too.

Can AirDroid do this? Can you stream(and download if you so choose) music from it?

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Just a complaint and it might just be me... On my note 2 running 4.1.2 I cannot send text messages from airdroid. I just get the exclamation mark. It's free so I encourage everyone to try it but that was just my experience.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I've known about this app for quite a while now, however, I'd appreciate if you could confirm one detail for me.

Can you stream music from your phone over the browser with this app?

There is an app on the iPhone called "Music Exporter Pro" you launch it, enter the IP address of your phone on the network into the browser and it gives you an organized list of all songs in your Music.app, then you can click on any and play it from your browser or even drag and drop it a music player of your choice and if it supports playing over the network, the song will play just fine.

It's great for using your phone as a music center and also when you go to your friend's with a nice PC audio setup you can easily play music there too.

Can AirDroid do this? Can you stream(and download if you so choose) music from it?
Yes AirDroid will stream music if is in mp3, ogg, or wav formats. You can download too.

Mike

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Just a complaint and it might just be me... On my note 2 running 4.1.2 I cannot send text messages from airdroid. I just get the exclamation mark. It's free so I encourage everyone to try it but that was just my experience.

That is weird. Maybe something about the way the note 2 handles text is a little different.

I have found sometimes it is a little slow to get started. Like the first time I bring up the text window there is sometimes a delay but not after.

Coming from an iPhone where none of this was possible, and only a very little if jailbroken, it's pretty slick. I like the status screen too.

attachment.php

Michael

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 8.56.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 8.56.15 AM.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 816
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.