Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hontas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Hey guys, since steam forum completely ignored two of my posts I decided to try my luck here in hope of getting some answers.

I'm using a mac OS X v.10.6.8.

I bought borderlands 2 and cant wait to play, however there are some things wrong with it.
The intro and start cutscenes work fine, but in game and the title screen everything is messed up and I can't see anything. I don't know what the problem is.

I don't know if its the computer im using(mac) or the game, but on my other laptop it works fine but it's incredibly laggy, hence why I switched to mac.

http://i47.tinypic.com/ve85tg.png

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to use my ps3 controller with my mac, any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Hontas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
The specs of your Mac will help people with your problem.

Processor: 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
>>:
Capacity: 159.7 GB (159,697,911,808 bytes)
Available: 461.2 MB (461,156,352 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

*Sorry, im not a very technical person! If theres anything specific you need to know, please state it.

Hontas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Hmmm... this looks a little long in the tooth. Go to "About This Mac", what does it say?

Already stated: Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Already stated: Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

OK, go to About this Mac, then choose More Info, then from choose Graphics/Displays, what does it say in there.

I ask because I think as has been said you have a graphics card issue.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
A quick google on that processor speed and RAM specs and it looks like you're running an early 2008 MacBook 4,1
That machine is running integrated Intel GMA X3100 graphics. That's your problem.

Hontas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the replies, reading through them brings me to believe the only option I have is just buying a new computer then.

It's a shame, I would have thought steam ran smoothly on any computer lol, my acer windows 7 didnt run the game well at all, so i resorted to the other computer we have which was the mac but i guess now i know this one isn't compatible either.

If that's the case then, what laptop do you suggest I invest in getting which will run steam games with no problems?

Aaron from KY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Kentucky
It really depends on if you're tied to a particular operating system or not.
I would say any 15" Macbook Pro from 2011 to now would run most Steam games well, if you "have" to have a Mac.

On the Windows side it's a bit more complicated, simply because of all the choices available.
I would say some research on your part may be useful, just to familiarize yourself with the technology.
Specifications to look for:
Nvidia or AMD graphics card. Intel graphics still don't cut it.
As far as the graphics card goes, google is your friend, if you see a laptop you like, google the graphics card to see if there are reviews available.
Currently Nvidia is using a core codenamed Kepler, While AMD is a little more complicated, Something with in excess of 400 stream processors should do well.
The CPU comes down to personal preference: Intel is hands down fastest, but AMD is a good budget choice, especially the A8 and A10 processors.
For Intel Core i5 and i7 are great choices, while if you can find an AMD Trinity processor that would be decent.
Memory: Minimum of 4GB, 6-8GB preferable.
Hard drive:320GB and up, or 256GB Solid State Drive.
Example:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienwa...lack/6954251.p?id=1218816360252&skuId=6954251

Steam itself will run on minimal specs (Intel only), it's the games where you need to pay attention to "minimum requirements", ...literally.

BL2 runs fine with an NVIDIA 9400m (Late '08 Macbook, superseding the 144 MB Intel GMA X3100 on early '08 Macbook) on Steamplay (provided you have enough RAM). So the "cut-off" point for Macbooks is anything pre-'08-unibody. The OP almost made it.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
All I needed to see was that the OP posted "2 GB" of system memory. That's all I needed to know.

Here are the System Requirement specs for Borderlands 2 posted on Apple's own Mac App Store. I have been told (lectured, actually) that the Steam version of Borderlands 2 for MacOSX is actually better, and has superior multi-player features already included.

Apple Mac App Store description:

Please note: Borderlands 2 is a single player adventure at launch, and will be updated to include Mac to Mac co-op multiplayer and Game Center support in early 2013 with a free app update.

In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 2.2 GHz CPU Speed | 4 GB RAM | 13 GB free disk space | (ATI): Radeon HD 2600; (NVidia): GeForce 8800 | 256 MB VRam

Supported Video cards:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800, GT 120, 320M, 330M, 650M
ATI Radeon HD 3870, HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6630, HD 6490, HD 6750, HD 6770, HD 6970
Intel HD Graphics 3000, 4000

Gamepad Support: Borderlands 2 supports the Xbox 360 wired gamepad.

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz | Memory: 8 GB or higher | Video RAM: 512 MB

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If that's the case then, what laptop do you suggest I invest in getting which will run steam games with no problems?

I suggest that you do not buy ANY laptop (Mac or PC) if you truly desire to play the latest cutting-edge action games (e.g. Borderlands 2). Most veteran gamers will tell you this, but the advice is way too often ignored. Oh well.

Laptops are smaller than full-sized desktop computers, hence their hardware is relatively "crippled" compared to a full-sized desktop of the same vintage. The memory capacity is smaller. The hard drive capacity is smaller. The video cards (critical to running graphically-intensive games) are smaller/weaker. I could go on, but you probably get the idea by now.

IF you really really really really NEED to buy a laptop (e.g. because you desperately need something portable), then buy a laptop. But just be realistic that many of the top-notch latest and greatest cutting-edge games might possibly have requirements that your laptop cannot meet.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hmm... I think I sounded a bit harsh in my last post. So I will try to redeem myself, proving that I'm not a full-time ******.

To the OP.... maybe you should consider buying/playing the slightly older version for MacOSX, Borderlands (1) Game of the Year Edition.

Here are the System Requirements for MacOSX, and seems like your laptop might be able to run it adequately. But don't take my word for it. You need to read the exact System Requirements at the developer's support website, which in this case the Developers of the Mac Borderlands games is Feral Interactive. See their web address below.

---

Important information regarding Borderlands Game of the Year Edition:

• Borderlands Game of the Year Edition does not support the following graphics cards: ATI X1xxx series, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series.

• In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 1.4GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 128MB Graphics Card (not Intel GMA, ATI X1xxx series, or NVIDIA 7xxx series). On older systems you may need to lower the graphical detail to ensure the game runs smoothly.

• Supports PS3 gamepads connected using Bluetooth®.

• Full system requirements are available on the Borderlands mini-site at feralinteractive.com/borderlands.

Don't get the Mac App Store version of BL2, it's more expensive, crippled and has less features. BL1 is a Feral port, it sucks, and doesn't work on Steam. The Steamplay/Aspyr version of BL2 actually runs better on a Mac than Feral's port of BL1 (YMMV - I have both).

The Steamplay version is actually two separate games, you get both the PC and the Mac version for one price (DLC's as well), and the sales have been awesome. Buy one (which ever's cheaper) get both.

Laptop?

BL2 runs fine on my '09 MacBook, I've seen Unibody MB's going for under $600 on CL, Ram is cheap, you can up the mem to 8 gig for less than $50.

Get a desktop if you're a hard-core gamer, if you're just casual, ...anything with a 9400m or better discrete graphics in a Mac notebook is fine.

If you want to try BL1, get it on Onlive, then your machine does none of the heavy lifting.
https://support.onlive.com/entries/22264983-computer-and-internet-requirements-for-pc-mac

Play everything in their catalogue, even with the machine she has now.

Last edited:

roblegs

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Hey guys, since steam forum completely ignored two of my posts I decided to try my luck here in hope of getting some answers.

I'm using a mac OS X v.10.6.8.

I bought borderlands 2 and cant wait to play, however there are some things wrong with it.
The intro and start cutscenes work fine, but in game and the title screen everything is messed up and I can't see anything. I don't know what the problem is.

I don't know if its the computer im using(mac) or the game, but on my other laptop it works fine but it's incredibly laggy, hence why I switched to mac.

http://i47.tinypic.com/ve85tg.png

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to use my ps3 controller with my mac, any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

I recently bought Civ V - Gods & Kings Expansion through Steam. It did not work after installation and I contacted Steam support. After 2 weeks I got an answer. However they failed to understand that I had a mac. When I replied that I used a mac they redirected me to the game developer. They also would not/were not willing to help me. Frustrated I searched the web for answered.

Long story short. I deleted ALL my saved files (from before the expansion) and then started the game. This worked and I never had a problem since.

If this might be one of the issues, try this...

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
As multiple users have pointed out, but others keep ignoring, this is NOT a Steam problem. Steam's system requirements are laughably low, and should run on any Intel Mac.

It's clearly a hardware problem, coupled with a wetware problem. The OPs computer does not meet the system requirements for BL2, particularly where RAM and GPU are concerned. OP should have checked sys reqs for the game before purchasing.

Hontas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Hey, thanks for all the replies and suggestions, appreciate it.

This all seems like too much effort with someone with little computer knowledge like me, I think It was a mistake for me to download steam and purchase a game expecting it to work perfectly.
I'll stick to consoles instead of steam, sounds much easier and less hassle.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.