Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Want to set up another copy of my 24 GB itunes music to a 32G thumb drive.Do I drag into the whole itunes folder into the drive or open itunes folder and only drag the file named Library.iTl ? I only have music in itunes and its all my copied cds. thanks

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Want to set up another copy of my 24 GB itunes music to a 32G thumb drive.Do I drag into the whole itunes folder into the drive or open itunes folder and only drag the file named Library.iTl ? I only have music in itunes and its all my copied cds. thanks

Google for "Moving iTunes to external hard drive". The best and easiest way can be found here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easiest-move-itunes-library-external-drive/

Just copy the whole iTunes folder; that should achieve what you want.

It doesn't. You'll have a backup of your music, which is surely useful, but not a working iTunes library.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Actually what i wanted was a backup copy of my Itunes music library.Im a bit confused when you say it will not be a working Itunes library.Could you explain please?If I just copy the itunes folder and something happen to my Imac could I not just plug in the thumb drive to a new Imac and put my cds into itunes on a new machine?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Copy the entire iTunes folder and you'll have a full backup. You can then copy that entire folder onto a new computer and the full library will be restored.

I think gnasher's point was simply that iTunes will still be looking at the copy on the hard drive. When you restore your backup, just copy it back into the Music folder and iTunes will automatically look in the right place.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Actually what i wanted was a backup copy of my Itunes music library.Im a bit confused when you say it will not be a working Itunes library.Could you explain please?If I just copy the itunes folder and something happen to my Imac could I not just plug in the thumb drive to a new Imac and put my cds into itunes on a new machine?

There have been some people posting, usually with an MBA and a small(ish) SSD drive, who want to remove their iTunes library from their computer - typically onto a thumb drive.

If you just copy the music folder, all the music is on the thumb drive. You can take it to another computer, start iTunes, and use "Add to Library" to add all or parts of the music. However, all your play lists, ratings, play counts etc. will be gone.

The instructions on that website move your music to the thumb drive, and change your library to look for the music on your thumb drive, so you can delete the music on your computer.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thanks,that clears it up.Im going with the folder to thumb drive since anything but the music is not that important to me and playlists can always be created again.
One more question,do i have to do anything to my thumb drive to accomplish this task?Do I need to format it using disk utilities?If I do what do I format it to among the choices given?thanks again.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Your drive is likely already formatted, probably FAT32. This is fine for your purpose as long as you don't have files > 4GB. If for some reason your drive is formatted NTFS, you can reformat to HFS+ (won't be windows compatible), FAT32 (fully compatible with windows and osx), or exFAT (patchy compatibility with windows).

Surely GGJstudios will be by shortly to post this:

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.