Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
eflaten
macrumors newbie

iBook better?

I want a pbook but it looks like the spec on the ibooks is very near the specs on the pbooks. The price gap is also very big. So what do you think I will miss on the ibook. I have used the pbook som years but now it doesent seems to be worth the very many extra money. By the way, in Norway the pbook costs 3160$ on AppleStore. 860 more than in US Do you think there will be any upgrade on the pbook before christmas?
eflaten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
VanMac
macrumors 6502a

I have the new iBook, and am very happy with it. I bought it instead of the PB, as the PB is in need of some upgrades, and didnt seem worth the extra $$
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:37 PM   #3
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Just ordered my ibook and I find the pbooks to be incredibly overpriced these days. Think of it like this buy the ibook now and when the come out with the pintelbooks books then you can sell the ibook and buy one of those. Dont let anyone give you powerbooks arent underpowered because they run all the current programs. For their price powerbooks are very underpowered and underfeatured.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
neocell
macrumors 65816

I love my powerbook (12") but as the posters above have said, there's not much difference between, but a lot in price. I love the superdrive capability so glad I didn't get a combo, so for me that would knock off the 12" iBook right away, and I want a portable laptop (ie small) so I don't know about the 14" iBook. If you already have a DVD burner then maybe the 12: iBook would be great. One note Appleinsider is claiming updates of the pro line in early October, so you might want to wait.
neocell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

You can always buy an inexpensive exernal super drive
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603

Yes, there will probably be updated PowerBooks before Christmas.

But as of the current specs, I would go for a 12" iBook G4 over a PowerBook G4- not much of a performance difference for a heck of a lot of a cash difference.
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Fender
macrumors regular

For me, the #1 thing that puts the iBook and Powerbook into different worlds is the ability to attach a second display (display mirroring is garbage , I'm talking dual displays). Despite all the "powerbook is underpowered" talk, it's still a matter of consumer vs. power user.
Fender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:44 PM   #8
Eluon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Eluon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
For me, the #1 thing that puts the iBook and Powerbook into different worlds is the ability to attach a second display (display mirroring is garbage , I'm talking dual displays). Despite all the "powerbook is underpowered" talk, it's still a matter of consumer vs. power user.

if he googles on the web for a free spanning program (I can't remember the name of it now...) the iBook will do screen spanning. i've tried it and it works fine.

As for the original question, the iBook G4 is the better value (12 incher)
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:04 AM   #9
maxterpiece
macrumors 6502a

I'd say that if you need the superdrive and prefer a 12" 'book, then you obviously need to get a powerbook. Otherwise go with the 12" or 14" ibook. You can get a superdrive on a 14" The insides of the ibook and the powerbook are virtually the same. You mostly sacrifice features that are irrelevant to the average user - audio in, backlit keyboard (doesn't even come with the 12" PB), fancy aluminum case. You actually gain battery life and the ibook case is much more durable. The one thing that I find relevant to most users is the relative crappiness of the ibook keyboard. the powerbook keyboards are pretty sweet.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
Wow, so Apple could get you to buy a 12" PB because of THAT? Man, this is how they make money......by disabling a feature that's already on the iBook. Just use the screen hack like everyone else.

As a 12" PB owner who loves his PB, I would get a 12" iBook right now if I was choosing between the 12" iBook and 12" PB.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 09:16 AM   #11
Mitthrawnuruodo

I think the 12" iBook is the laptop that gives you most value for money (not surprisingly, since I have one myself), just because it's so much cheaper than the rest and still able to do almost anything. Also it's very portable and feels much more durable than a PowerBook (it doesn't dent, but it do scratch).

One thing to remember when comparing prices on the US and Norwegian Apple Store is that the Norwegian prices include (a 25%!) sales tax, while the US add the tax (not even close to 25% ) later. Then the price difference isn't too bad, really...
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:15 AM   #12
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Wow, so Apple could get you to buy a 12" PB because of THAT? Man, this is how they make money......by disabling a feature that's already on the iBook. Just use the screen hack like everyone else.
But the 12" PB also has 64MB of VRAM which would better support the external display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
As a 12" PB owner who loves his PB, I would get a 12" iBook right now if I was choosing between the 12" iBook and 12" PB.
Yup. That's where I was a few months back-- owned a 12" 1.33GHz PB and offered it to my older sister in exchange for a new 12" 1.33GHz iBook.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:03 PM   #13
leekohler
Banned

iBook. Do it.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs