Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:50 PM   #1
bobright
macrumors 68040

Can I place my Finder icon on the right side of my dock near the Trash bin?

I am always hovering over near my trash can and the right of my screen. Can I place my finder icon over to the right of my dock?

I tried clicking and dragging it there and it didn't work.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

I think you can do it with a 3rd. party app. or some kind of hack.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I am always hovering over near my trash can and the right of my screen. Can I place my finder icon over to the right of my dock?

The left side of the Dock is for apps. The right side is for files/folders.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
JimWPVB
macrumors member

Keyboard Shortcut

Why not use a keyboard shortcut? That's what I do. Although there are probably many programs, the one I use is called - I think - Shortcuts by Nulana on the App Store. It works well.
JimWPVB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
bobright
macrumors 68040

Ahh ok don't want to do that tweak things with 3rd party apps

I never use keyboard shortcuts really bu guess I can try that, coming over from windows it's still an adjustment for me with the small wireless keyboard. The only thing I have down pat is CMD and delete.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:

You can't, but here is how to basically accomplish what you want. Open the Finder and go to the folder you want Finder to open in when you click. Say /Users/yourname. Now right click on the folder name and select "make alias". Now drag that alias you just made into the dock next to your trash. Now when you click that icon it will open Finder in whatever folder you selected in the first step. You can see the little arrow next to the folder showing that it is an alias.

The usual Funder smiley face icon will still be on the left of your Dock... but this will get you the same function next to the trash like you wanted.

I have my dock on the left, but you get the idea.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ahh ok don't want to do that tweak things with 3rd party apps

I never use keyboard shortcuts really bu guess I can try that, coming over from windows it's still an adjustment for me with the small wireless keyboard. The only thing I have down pat is CMD and delete.
The best keyboard shortcut is CMD+Space Bar. This activates the Spotlight (Search Tool), where you can start typing in what you are looking for. If you set up Spotlight to show Folders first - followed by Documents, or vice versa then it is dead simply to type CMD+Space Bar and then keep typing the name of the folder or file without even looking. It's a really fast app launcher, or Finder opener.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
The best keyboard shortcut is CMD+Space Bar. This activates the Spotlight (Search Tool), where you can start typing in what you are looking for. If you set up Spotlight to show Folders first - followed by Documents, or vice versa then it is dead simply to type CMD+Space Bar and then keep typing the name of the folder or file without even looking. It's a really fast app launcher, or Finder opener.
I agree. cmd+space is a great shortcut. I use it to start programs so much that I don't even use the dock anymore.

Another good keyboard shortcut is cmd+q to quit a program.
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You can't, but here is how to basically accomplish what you want. Open the Finder and go to the folder you want Finder to open in when you click. Say /Users/yourname. Now right click on the folder name and select "make alias". Now drag that alias you just made into the dock next to your trash. Now when you click that icon it will open Finder in whatever folder you selected in the first step. You can see the little arrow next to the folder showing that it is an alias.

The usual Funder smiley face icon will still be on the left of your Dock... but this will get you the same function next to the trash like you wanted.

I have my dock on the left, but you get the idea.
I will check this out thanks guys!!

I guess theres also a good alternative to Spotlight or so I heard in Alfred as well?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:

I guess theres also a good alternative to Spotlight or so I heard in Alfred as well?
I've never felt the need for something more than Spotlight... but that is just me. Make sure you rearrange the order of the categories Spotlight presents though. Just doing that makes it much much more convenient.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:

Look what I have

The way to do this is go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app, Drag the Finder to a place you want, hold Command-Option and release the mouse, you get a Shortcut of the Finder, next drag the Shortcut next to the Trash, that's it.
Later I will find a 'Hack to remove the original Finder from the Dock, you don't want two do you.

To remove the dock from it's original position in the dock you have to edit the DockMenus.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources like in the screenshot below.
You have to add the one highlighted in blue.
After you edited the .plist file you can click on Finder and there's a Menu to remove it from the Dock.
You need root access to do this though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	9
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	389170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 7.png
Views:	14
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	389171  

Last edited by justperry; Jan 9, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac