Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Those with Retina iPad & iPad Mini

I've had the 3rd Gen retina iPad since launch but the girlfriend has now taken ownership.

I've been waiting for a smaller size for a while but in terms of spec and screen it falls short of my expectations.

If you have both, how are you finding the adaption to the smaller, lower resolution screen and slower A5? Is it still functional in terms of some of the newer games (e.g. GTA Vice City)? And is it speedy enough for day to day use?

And probably most importantly, do you use it more than the retina iPad?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
I've had the 3rd Gen retina iPad since launch but the girlfriend has now taken ownership.
There is an easy solution to getting that iPad back.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
noobinator
macrumors 65816

This is truly a unique question and concern.
noobinator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

I have literally this situation.

Girlfriend has comandeered the ipad 3, but to be honest, I barely use it anymore, the loss of the retina display really isn't as big an issue after a few days.

Vice City works fine, pretty smooth.

Lastly, I use the mini every day. It's the best piece of technology that I've bought for a long, long time.
NutsNGum is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
I have literally this situation.

Girlfriend has comandeered the ipad 3, but to be honest, I barely use it anymore, the loss of the retina display really isn't as big an issue after a few days.

Vice City works fine, pretty smooth.

Lastly, I use the mini every day. It's the best piece of technology that I've bought for a long, long time.
Yes well you can sympathise with me then.

As for the 'getting it back' - lol, never gonna happen!

I think I will take the plunge this week then, suppose there is always the 14 day return if it is a total loss. I'm used to the low resolution on my MBP so I guess the Mini isn't going to be a drop for me

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
If only lol
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If you let her take your ipad 3, whats to stop her from taking your Mini.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:12 PM   #7
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
I use the mini every day. It's the best piece of technology that I've bought for a long, long time.
I'm the same, got one given as a present at Christmas. I think it is an absolutely superb device.
daveathall is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:52 PM   #8
flavr
macrumors 6502

Both my girlfriend and I had two iPad 4s for Christmas, we both took them back for two iPad minis...I would never trade back, I enjoy the mini much more, its been flawless and screen looks great...
flavr is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you let her take your ipad 3, whats to stop her from taking your Mini.
Passcode
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 3 and a mini.

I have found no difficulty at all going from the retina display to the smaaler non-retina. No issues as far as the display or processor speed.

The mini is the "always with me" device. The '3' sits in a keyboard dock at my desk at home, and I use it primarily for any tasks involving significant typing. Additionaly, if I'm sitting at my desk, I use it for reading (love the page synchronization of iBooks).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Al'sDad
macrumors newbie

I also have the iPad 3 and an iPad Mini. I love the mini, and can't even see the difference in screen resolution when I use it.
Al'sDad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post

I've been waiting for a smaller size for a while but in terms of spec and screen it falls short of my expectations.

If you have both, how are you finding the adaption to the smaller, lower resolution screen and slower A5? Is it still functional in terms of some of the newer games (e.g. GTA Vice City)? And is it speedy enough for day to day use?

And probably most importantly, do you use it more than the retina iPad?
Mini is very convenient for size but that's it. My opinion screen is fuzzy, pixelated and internet is frustrating (page loading slow, freezes, reloading).
Awakener is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:41 PM   #13
jeans94621
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Mini is very convenient for size but that's it. My opinion screen is fuzzy, pixelated and internet is frustrating (page loading slow, freezes, reloading).
What iPad mini are you using. I have non of those problems with mine. My page loads are fast with my Comcast Internet I have had no freezes and with seven tabs open I have no reload.
jeans94621 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeans94621 View Post
What iPad mini are you using. I have non of those problems with mine. My page loads are fast with my Comcast Internet I have had no freezes and with seven tabs open I have no reload.
What iPad Mini are you using? Do a search because there are many reports of it all over the forums. Compare iPad Mini to iPad 4, but don't fall for just telling yourself what you want to believe.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:27 PM   #15
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I have the iPad 3 and a mini as well and since getting the mini in November I rarely ever use the iPad 3. I always felt that the big commotion that was about the retina display was ridiculous. I have not had any issues with the display at all. The mini, being so small and light, is always with me and I use it everyday.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Rhyalus
macrumors 6502

I have the Ipad4 (my ipad) and a couple of minis for the kids.

I find the performance of the mini surprisingly good.

However, the screen is so frigging small, there is no way I could use that thing regularly. I read newspapers, periodicals, review documents, type emails, etc... and the 4 is the right size for me.

Everyone tries to compare these two units but that is a bad mistake. It is all about how YOU will use it.

R
Rhyalus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:40 PM   #17
odonnelly99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Exactly : ) What's more important, the iPad, or the girl? This is a question that men have been asking since the beginning of time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNWDW View Post
I have the iPad 3 and a mini as well and since getting the mini in November I rarely ever use the iPad 3. I always felt that the big commotion that was about the retina display was ridiculous. I have not had any issues with the display at all. The mini, being so small and light, is always with me and I use it everyday.
Agreed. the Mini still has a very nice screen.
odonnelly99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 PM   #18
ecks618
macrumors 6502

Personally even if the mini and the ipad 4 were the same price I couldn't be convinced to get the ipad 4. I was dead set again the mini and used my ipad 4 since early Dec but after trying it for a day I returned it and got the mini and will never turn back.

The screen gets a bad rap, its perfectly fine. I watch HD movies on it and play Vice city without any issues. I read the NYTimes on it regularly without a problem.

Go for the mini and return it if you don't like it. If your using it at home, the iPad 4 is the way to go, but if you do any traveling or commuting the mini can't be beat.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:21 PM   #19
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks618 View Post
Personally even if the mini and the ipad 4 were the same price I couldn't be convinced to get the ipad 4. I was dead set again the mini and used my ipad 4 since early Dec but after trying it for a day I returned it and got the mini and will never turn back.

The screen gets a bad rap, its perfectly fine. I watch HD movies on it and play Vice city without any issues. I read the NYTimes on it regularly without a problem.

Go for the mini and return it if you don't like it. If your using it at home, the iPad 4 is the way to go, but if you do any traveling or commuting the mini can't be beat.
I'm in the same boat. Portability wins for me. The mini's screen is fine. Not retina, but good enough for all tablet activities. Fonts are a teensy bit too small, but I can live. This thing is a sure fire winner (as if it weren't already) once it gets retina.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #20
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I find the iPad mini every bit as nice as I expected. Comparing it to my iPad 4 is irrelevant. What I do favor over the mini is my new Nexus 7.

Being in the same general size category, comparing it to the mini is appropriate. Between it's higher resolution display and the incredibly feature filled Android 4.2.x, I'm using it far more than anticipated.

Now being my constant companion, its exceeded all my expectations. The same feeling I get when using my 15" MBP Retina.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:20 PM   #21
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnelly99 View Post
What's more important, the iPad, or the girl? This is a question that men have been asking since the beginning of time.
The iPad was released on April 3, 2010. I'm pretty sure that time existed before then.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:34 PM   #22
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnelly99 View Post
Exactly : ) What's more important, the iPad, or the girl? This is a question that men have been asking since the beginning of time.

Agreed. the Mini still has a very nice screen.

480 device or beautiful, wife material girlfriend of 5 years? Tough cookie
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:58 AM   #23
TheSwede
macrumors regular

I've had the ipad4 for about a month now. Two days ago I picked up a brand new mini. My honest take on this is; yes, you do notice that the text on webpages is not as sharp on the mini but on the flip side the whole user experiance is so nice with the smaller form factor and imo better design.

Both tablets have a trade off in my opinion. If i had to choose one i would choose the mini because it fits my needs better. I wanted a portable apple tablet to surf the webb and watch movies on the go. If that means looking at a non retina screen i'm ok with that simply because of the portabillity and cool looks of the mini. If apple decides to put a retina screen in the mini and this had little to no impact on weight and size then you would have imo the perfect tablet.
TheSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:08 AM   #24
n8236
macrumors 65816

My situation is similar to yours, though not exact. Allow me to explain.

I've been upgrading my MBP for the past 4 years and when I went to this generation's retina, the difference is noticeable. Note, how I said it's noticeable and not obvious.

Thus, when I played w/ my friend's mini and my long owned iPad 3, I have also come to that same conclusion.

If you've had a non-retina iPhone or iPad, you'll gladly take the Mini because it does look a lot better. However, if you're like me and own a retina MBP and retina iPhone and had a retina iPad, the Mini's shortcoming of the retina display will be obvious. HOWEVER, the disappointment won't be as bad as you initially thought and you will be able to live with it. I know I could.

PS: rumors swirl that a new Mini will be out in March.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
comparison, ipad, ipad mini