Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi there,

With all the talk about these "international phones" that have 2 radios and everything, it got me wondering if my UK iPhone 5 will actually work in the US.

It's the model A1429 and since it works in the UK I'm assuming it's the GSM one.

Cheers all!

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
If its an unlocked iphone 5 it will work with any GSM carrier in the US.
If your i5 is locked only to your current provider then it wont work with any other sim anywhere.
Oh I forgot to mention I'm just travelling, so I won't be using any special SIMs or anything. I know that might make my question sound pointless / stupid but I just wanted to be sure. So I know my carrier (ThreeUk) has roaming charges for the US.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Oh so you're going to leave your UK sim in and use it here in the US like that?
Offcourse it will work fine but I'd be very carefull.
You will rack up many expensive charges for voice, texts and especially data use. And we know that the iphone is very data hungry.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Oh I forgot to mention I'm just travelling, so I won't be using any special SIMs or anything. I know that might make my question sound pointless / stupid but I just wanted to be sure. So I know my carrier (ThreeUk) has roaming charges for the US.

Data roaming is expensive, so just be on the look out of how much data you use.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
On that basis, I have a few more questions:

1) How can I tell if my phone is locked? I bought it sim-free from Apple and am using a monthly rolling (cancel at any time) usage contract. I'm assuming it's not locked...

2) Do AT&T do any good SIMs for about 5 days of usage, or are there any calling cards or discount SIMs that I can use?

Thanks.

Scott0512

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
Sorry! To clarify; I am moving back to the US after two years here. I bought an Iphone 5 Sept 2012. This phone should have no problems working if upon arrival I sign on to AT&T or T-Mobile?

----------

And go to an Apple Store for a duck charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.