Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:44 AM   #76
BarryL
macrumors 6502

Looks cool to me.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:11 AM   #77
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

We need this in the UK asap.
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:59 AM   #78
RBR2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I would do it for the simple fact I never bring my iphone into the bathroom with me when I shower b.c the humidity.

edit: This is from their website....is this not a contradiction to what the article says?

"Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid."

...or maybe that $59.99 is for the old coating and the new one will be much more since they are covering damages?
I suspect sales w/o warranty were virtually nonexistent. Price probably will vary with the cost of the device, i.e. a 64 GB iPhone will cost more than a 16 GB iPhone.

OEM application would require such a warranty.

I can also foresee a large market for this in government and corporate applications.
RBR2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #79
JediZenMaster
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JediZenMaster
If apple ever builds this in their devices I only imagine there will be threads complaining about "watergate" in the tradition of the other various issues.
JediZenMaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #80
testcard
macrumors 65816

iDry.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 AM   #81
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomega1 View Post
doesn't apple already have a partial coating? (opps update: at least for the iphone 5 and new iPads) for a few min? Plus the company doesn't even warranty it will work right? There was bad reviews in the past so I been waiting for another company.

But after seeing the reviews from android authority regarding apple's own coating, I think i'm safe from spills and an a quick accident drop in water. It was on macrumors earlier but if you want to see it again google android authority iphone torture test. I had heard reports that some people dropped it in water for 15 min. So testing something that already has a coating, I'm not so impressed.
In the iPhone section someone said they dropped their iP5 into water (the shallow area of a lake), and they kind of just froze in semi-shock because they could see it still operating completely submerged, in a foot or two of water. Ultimately they got it shut down, "riced it" for like 24 hours (I believe they may have even opened it up) and it's apparently completely OK.

There was some discussion about a possible light water resistant coating (also as you might image talk it was totally fabricated, the work of aliens, etc.)
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 AM   #82
the8thark
macrumors 68040

How does this coating work with heat over extended usage periods of the devices covered by the water resistant coating?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:56 AM   #83
johnmacward
macrumors regular

This is pretty incredible stuff, what about connectors like your headphones, charging dock etc. which I assume get a coating. I suppose after a certain amount of time it will wear off them from constant connections and disconnections. On top of that I assume the material must be conductive if it's going to cover the metal contacts here.
johnmacward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:07 AM   #84
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I can't help but wonder why people can't just go visit the website and watch the video which explains the process (it's gas not liquid that is used to permeate the phone) and all the other details people are asking about.
Vapor is not gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacward View Post
This is pretty incredible stuff, what about connectors like your headphones, charging dock etc. which I assume get a coating. I suppose after a certain amount of time it will wear off them from constant connections and disconnections. On top of that I assume the material must be conductive if it's going to cover the metal contacts here.
If this was the case then it is the same as water, so no, BS, it will short circuit and damages the phone.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #85
johnmacward
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
We need this in the UK asap.
We need this in Ireland ASAP!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
If this was the case then it is the same as water, so no, BS, it will short circuit and damages the phone.
So how do your headphones / charger make contact with the device?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:00 AM   #86
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy1007 View Post
No, it does not. Applecare does not cover any accidental damage.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4...are-for-iphone
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:25 AM   #87
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
So how do your headphones / charger make contact with the device?
They might insert connectors before doing this process or cover it up
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #88
TrentS
macrumors 6502

That's It! We're Over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGuesser View Post
Why would I want this when I have a Lifeproof?
"Why" would I "want" to do dishes?!

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:20 AM   #89
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
be sweet if they ever incorporate this into the device from the factory!
hmm so does this really work this time??? cause last time it was a gimmick and ruined many many iphones..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:30 PM   #90
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

I just happened to drop my iPhone 5 in a puddle 2 days ago.
It was submersed for about 3-4 seconds. I dried it off and blew out the water and used a hair dryer on cool for it.
So far itís been ok. Iím keeping my fingers crossed. I would like something like that on my phone for sure.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #91
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Sweet, I just saved $59 by using my pocket and not being an idiot with my phone
you must be the first human incapable of having bad luck or accidents. hazaa!
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM   #92
elDavo
macrumors newbie

Liquipel was the recipient of an Australian CHOICE magazine 'Shonky' award at the end of 2012 for misleading advertising. They report that as a result, the NSW Fair Trading office has asked Liquipel to justify their claims. CHOICE's quote: "it's homeopathy for iStuff."

Worth a read before getting it done to your device:
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and.../liquipel.aspx
elDavo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 PM   #93
Gorge
macrumors newbie

I had this done for my iPhone 4. 3 hours after it was done, I got some tupperware, put my phone with music playing in it, poured 2 cups of water, and it worked fine. I pulled it out and it was still working. The music was muffled because there was water in the speakers, but once it dried, it worked fine.

I tried it 2 more times of the course of 3 months. I was definitely scared that one day, my show boating would bite me in the butt, but it never did. I no longer use that phone since I got a 5, but I may liquipel it again once I get a decent 5. I'm going on my 4th one.

As far as touch/feel, you cannot tell a difference at all. And the white water sensor sticker is still white even after all of my water tests.
Gorge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:30 PM   #94
oomega1
macrumors member

Yeah they had a lot of bad reviews. Thats why I am waiting for hz0 and another company to do it. I also heard a problem with nano coating currently is chemicals may cause it to wear off. Such as soap etc. So unless its pure water its hard to warranty such problems. If thats the case its almost not worth having lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDavo View Post
Liquipel was the recipient of an Australian CHOICE magazine 'Shonky' award at the end of 2012 for misleading advertising. They report that as a result, the NSW Fair Trading office has asked Liquipel to justify their claims. CHOICE's quote: "it's homeopathy for iStuff."

Worth a read before getting it done to your device:
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and.../liquipel.aspx
oomega1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:29 PM   #95
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Sweet, I just saved $59 by using my pocket and not being an idiot with my phone
Merely with your words.

On the other hand people who opt for it can do amateur underwater photography, take calls in the rain, and protect against accidents. Keeping your phone in your pocket doesn't make it waterproof.
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:13 PM   #96
johnmacward
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
They might insert connectors before doing this process or cover it up
Then the connectors wouldn't be protected and if they shorted in water, that would be pretty crap.

I mean I haven't a clue how they make this work, but I'm utterly intrigued now!

Anyone have a clue?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #97
eztips
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Then the connectors wouldn't be protected and if they shorted in water, that would be pretty crap.

I mean I haven't a clue how they make this work, but I'm utterly intrigued now!

Anyone have a clue?

Liquipel uses a special type of molecule that allows electricity to flow between two good conductors, but prevents electricity from flowing between an ok conductor like water and a good conductor.

The effect is similar to how a transistor works, where it only conducts electricity under specific circumstances.

Simply put liquipel allows materials with a conductivity of roughly 1x10^5th or greater to conduct electricity and it prevents anything less from being conductive. The list of materials that are that conductive is limited to metals that cables are made of, so it prevents water which is several orders of magnitude less conductive from making a connection.

In other words the only thing that will cause a short is if you filled your phone with copper dust or something.
eztips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:46 AM   #98
johnmacward
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztips View Post
Liquipel uses a special type of molecule that allows electricity to flow between two good conductors, but prevents electricity from flowing between an ok conductor like water and a good conductor.

The effect is similar to how a transistor works, where it only conducts electricity under specific circumstances.

Simply put liquipel allows materials with a conductivity of roughly 1x10^5th or greater to conduct electricity and it prevents anything less from being conductive. The list of materials that are that conductive is limited to metals that cables are made of, so it prevents water which is several orders of magnitude less conductive from making a connection.

In other words the only thing that will cause a short is if you filled your phone with copper dust or something.
That's the only thing that I thought made sense.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #99
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

cool, but my lifeproof does much more than that, it makes my phone waterproof, it saves the phone from scratches, bumps and absorbs the shock.
egoistaxx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion