Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Fed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool.
Fingerprint Magnet

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Steve is right: I'm holding it wrong.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. What does this actually mean? It seems no matter how I hold it, it's constantly covered in fingerprints. Obviously it's only annoying when the smart cover and screen isn't on. But I thought this coating was supposed to stop fingerprints?

I've been using my glasses cloth to clean it as well, and unfortunately can't restore it's glossy goodness.

Advice or thoughts welcome.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Wash your hands.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Fed
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Wash your hands.
You're corresponding with a hygiene freak here. Hands are clean.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
How long have you had your iPad? The oleophobic coating wears off after a while.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Fed
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
How long have you had your iPad? The oleophobic coating wears off after a while.
Just under a week. I'm convinced this coating doesn't do anything.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Just under a week. I'm convinced this coating doesn't do anything.
It does a hell of a lot on my iPhone. I bet if you had a piece of glass without the coating, you'd see the difference.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Fed
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
It does a hell of a lot on my iPhone. I bet if you had a piece of glass without the coating, you'd see the difference.
Hm. Perhaps my expectations are too high?
Fed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #8
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Hm. Perhaps my expectations are too high?
Perhaps.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:34 PM   #9
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
If I didn't know any better, I'd say Steve is right: I'm holding it wrong.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. What does this actually mean? It seems no matter how I hold it, it's constantly covered in fingerprints. Obviously it's only annoying when the smart cover and screen isn't on. But I thought this coating was supposed to stop fingerprints?

I've been using my glasses cloth to clean it as well, and unfortunately can't restore it's glossy goodness.

Advice or thoughts welcome.
You should have seen the iPhone 3G and original iPhone (that didn't have this coating). It was absolutely terrible. Fingerprints were visible a 100 hundred times better.

You can't stop the fingerprints, but you can limit them and that's exactly what this coating does. This coating doesn't 'avoid' fingerprints, it is just more resistant to fingerprints.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Perhaps.
Black = fingerprint magnet.

I can't see any fingerprints on my white iPad Mini unless the screen is off.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Patriot24
macrumors 68020
 
Patriot24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Black = fingerprint magnet.

I can't see any fingerprints on my white iPad Mini unless the screen is off.
qft

Bought a white iPhone 5 and many of my compulsive behaviors around constant cleaning of the device went away. There is a big difference in the perceived cleanliness of white products.
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:09 PM   #12
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
With the coating, you can wipe the fingerprints off pretty easily vs. having a screen protector on the device.

Keep in mind it is fingerprint resistant, not retardant!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:57 PM   #13
lokster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
there is no coating that prevents the fingerprints from happening

solution: get a matte screen protector or a frosted screen protector. it will repel all fingerprints during use
__________________
iPad 3 32Gb white JB iOS 7.0
iPhone 5S 32Gb white JB iOS 7.1.1
Macbook Pro 13" 2010 2.4Ghz 12GB RAM,1TB HD
iPod Nano 6th Gen 8Gb + LunaTik Strap
lokster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:46 PM   #14
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokster View Post
there is no coating that prevents the fingerprints from happening

solution: get a matte screen protector or a frosted screen protector. it will repel all fingerprints during use
So much misinformation! There IS an oleophobic coating on the iPad, and while it doesn't prevent fingerprints, it does make them easier to remove. Matte screens don't repel fingerprints, they just make them more difficult to see.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:32 PM   #15
odonnelly99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Black = fingerprint magnet.

I can't see any fingerprints on my white iPad Mini unless the screen is off.
Agreed!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
So much misinformation! There IS an oleophobic coating on the iPad, and while it doesn't prevent fingerprints, it does make them easier to remove. Matte screens don't repel fingerprints, they just make them more difficult to see.
Yep. Most of the time my t-shirts are soft enough that i can just wipe my iPad down if the fingerprints get excessive.
odonnelly99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:56 PM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Microfiber cloth should get rid of fingerprint and dust easier than your cloth.

If you have on a screen protector, it would be even worst because fingerprint just will never go away.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:58 PM   #17
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Compare to glass without the coating and revel in the apparent cleanliness of your iPad.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:19 AM   #18
lokster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
So much misinformation! There IS an oleophobic coating on the iPad, and while it doesn't prevent fingerprints, it does make them easier to remove. Matte screens don't repel fingerprints, they just make them more difficult to see.
easier to remove isnt the same as difficult to see

i dont mean exactly repel and fingerprint proof lol, i was exaggerating!

but really if you do get a frosted or matte screen protector you will hardly wipe your ipad down of fingerprints. the oil from your finger doesnt stick half as much as it does with a matte screen protector

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Microfiber cloth should get rid of fingerprint and dust easier than your cloth.

If you have on a screen protector, it would be even worst because fingerprint just will never go away.
obviously, you need to completely wipe your ipad clean BEFORE you add a screen protector and then it would be much safer lol
__________________
iPad 3 32Gb white JB iOS 7.0
iPhone 5S 32Gb white JB iOS 7.1.1
Macbook Pro 13" 2010 2.4Ghz 12GB RAM,1TB HD
iPod Nano 6th Gen 8Gb + LunaTik Strap
lokster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:48 AM   #19
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Don't worry about it. The next iPhone will have mind reading capabilities so you won't need to even touch the screen.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
dancj
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokster View Post
there is no coating that prevents the fingerprints from happening

solution: get a matte screen protector or a frosted screen protector. it will repel all fingerprints during use
True, but be aware that matte screen protectors make the screen look mottled. I had one on my iPhone fore a few days and couldn't bear it.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:27 PM   #21
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Don't worry about it. The next iPhone will have mind reading capabilities so you won't need to even touch the screen.
It will be eye-reading. Siri is Iris backwards.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: IPad Air has become a magnet jahobie iPad 3 May 24, 2014 12:20 PM
iPad: Magnet Cover For Back? ghsNick iPad Accessories 2 Dec 14, 2013 02:00 AM
All iPads: Is the Air's Screen Less Of A Fingerprint Magnet? AppleRobert iPad 7 Nov 13, 2013 08:25 AM
iPad: Magnet Power! Cabby iPad Accessories 0 May 22, 2013 01:33 PM
Cousin took a magnet to my MBP mg2090 MacBook Pro 23 Aug 8, 2012 10:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC