Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #76
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Yeah that's why even Apple up on FW and stopped removing it from their computers
Or... they needed something even more versatile than FireWire, with smaller connectors for smaller devices.
mjtomlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #77
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by olowott View Post
Still dont know what i need it for
You need it to hook up an Apple Brand external monitor.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:52 PM   #78
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
Thunderbolt seemed cool but is obviously DOA. Can't wait for the new faster USB 3 on my next mac.
That's the whole point of Thunderbolt and what most people seem to completely miss... You won't need to get a new Mac to get USB 3.0, all you'll have to do is buy a USB 3.0 adapter.

Thunderbolt future proofs.
mjtomlin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:05 PM   #79
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Bottom line is FW and Thunderbolt are dead, and USB 3 is the future. The sooner Apple realizes this the better. But we are talking about stubborn Apple....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:09 PM   #80
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah that's why even Apple up on FW and stopped removing it from their computers
That's like saying floppy disks and DVD drives were a failure because Apple "gave up" on them.

They didn't give up on it. After a long life of success in the pro market, Thunderbolt replaced it as something even better. Just because you aren't a professional and may not have a need for it doesn't mean Apple should stop using something as pro level as Thunderbolt in their computers and replace it with something poorer like USB3.

I personally love the fact I can hook my Macbook Air to my Thunderbolt Display with a single cable and immediately have a 27" display, ethernet, and extra hard drive space. All through a single thunderbolt cable. It makes the Macbook Air a pretty much perfect solution for many people and is a very popular setup that would be impossible with USB3.

And that's not even taking into consideration how much slower USB3 is or that it is non-bidirectional.
newagemac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:10 PM   #81
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Bottom line is FW and Thunderbolt are dead, and USB 3 is the future. The sooner Apple realizes this the better. But we are talking about stubborn Apple....
Both Intel and Apple do not put Thunderbolt as competition to USB 3. Intel sees it as complementary. And USB 3 and Thunderbolt are complementary.

Thunderbolt is not being pushed as a consumer level technology by Intel. People expecting consumer devices/pricing for Thunderbolt peripherals are simply going to be waiting for apparently eternity. Thunderbolt is aimed at the professional that requires easier to setup and maintain technology than enterprise level offerings, but with good performance to go along with it.

This is a niche market. Read the interviews with Jason Ziller back in 2011 about Thunderbolt, he's clear on Intel's stance for the technology. Apple seems to want to push it at the consumer level (on their MacBook Air line-up) but that is simply not the plan for it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #82
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Perhaps that is why they finally relented and gave us all USB 3.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:29 PM   #83
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
Haha!
what are these lower class people doing on an apple forum.
Starving, probably. Expecting a hand out like all poor people do.

Wahh. I work 50 hours a week and still can't afford the insulin shots for all my children.

Wahh. Gas prices are too expensive. I can't drive to work and feed my family at the same time.

Wahh. Thunderbolt cables are too expensive. I have a dock and an external harddrive bay I spent too much for, and the cables alone cost just as much as an eSATA enclosure.

YEAH? WHATEVER POORBIE! I SAY LET THEM EAT CAKE!
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:34 PM   #84
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Exactly what i thought. He/she has probably more money than the “average” Apple customer
Or more guts than brain
iSayuSay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:52 PM   #85
R-Flow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
That had everything to do with Intel not supporting USB 3.0 before.
R-Flow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:54 PM   #86
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
That's the whole point of Thunderbolt and what most people seem to completely miss... You won't need to get a new Mac to get USB 3.0, all you'll have to do is buy a USB 3.0 adapter.

Thunderbolt future proofs.
But there's only the 2011 Macs that have Thunderbolt without USB 3.0
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:06 PM   #87
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
Aw got Thunderbolt and Lightning mixed up and thought they dropped the prices of lightning cables/accessories! haha!
Thunderbolt and Lightning very very frightening ME!
Galileo!
Galileo!
Galileo Figaro.....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:17 PM   #88
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Too all those TB haters out there...

...There is a nugget of truth to your complainy-ness.

But it's not a zero sum game. USB 3.0 can do its thing, and TB can do its thing as well. They're vastly different. Because TB is more powerful, is more bound up with licensing, and requires expensive parts, it will cost more and there will be less customers and products for it.

For a port standard, success/failure means that users can use the port for what they need it for. So in no way is FW or TB a failure.

So, use USB as much as it works for you. If you have an new mac, you very likely have both.

It's not a popularity contest or race to the bottom on pricing. And USB, TB, FW, Ethernet, these things are not going away. If USB is the most common port protocol, it wins the title of being used more often than other port standards. But that doesn't mean other port standards should go away... and it's weird that anyone would relish having their options limited.
willcapellaro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:27 PM   #89
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post

This is a niche market. Read the interviews with Jason Ziller back in 2011 about Thunderbolt, he's clear on Intel's stance for the technology. Apple seems to want to push it at the consumer level (on their MacBook Air line-up) but that is simply not the plan for it.
Not sure Apple see the MacBook Air as a "Consumer" Device either. If they did they could have pulled money money out of it. It's design target seems to be very much Pro's & Trainee Pro's who value mobility. Which is why I think they went with thunderbolt more as a docking connector just unplug and go.

Sort of surprised we haven't seen more dock in a monitor options for thunderbolt yet.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:02 PM   #90
ChrisA
macrumors G4

They told us the high price of tha cable was becuase of the expensive chips inside the ends. If so then why should the longer cable cost $10 more. Did the extra 1/2 meter of wire really add $10 to the cost? Why not sell both at the lower price.
ChrisA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:12 PM   #91
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

Now to lower the price of the lightning cable as well.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:15 PM   #92
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyb View Post
Cool. I'll buy one of these to connect to my.... nothing.
Perfect response

The number of devices that use thunderbolt is laughable

No one bought into apples connector, if they really wanted people and companies to jump aboard these would be $19.99 and $9.99
Aluminum213 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:18 PM   #93
Radio
In Time-Out

And enter USB 3
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:50 PM   #94
TheRdungeon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
I wonder if I can write a letter to Apple that since I'm not using thunderbolt or plan to use it if I could get a refund for the unused portion sold to me on my MBP. Hmm
If your MBP is the one in your signature it doesn't have it anyway...
TheRdungeon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:09 PM   #95
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Perfect response

No one bought into apples connector, if they really wanted people and companies to jump aboard these would be $19.99 and $9.99
You can easily buy quality 0.5 metre USB 3.0 cables for under $2.50 from Monoprice and 1.8 metre long USB 3.0 cables for under $4.00 each. Apple would still be massively ripping you off at $19.99 and $9.99.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:19 PM   #96
tekstud
macrumors member

The cable length on the superdrive could use a few inches.
It's ridiculously short. I suppose it was designed for MacBooks but far too short for the new iMac to put onto another shelf.

As to Thunderbolt- USB3 seems fast enough for the average consumer. Thunderbolt is more prosumer.
tekstud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:37 PM   #97
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Judging by this... How much will the 10 metre one cost?
Well, the bulk of the cost of TB cables are connectors with intelligent chipsets on them. The copper cable itself is cheap.

Quote:
Clearly, we are all lucky to have you to explain ignorant Apple what technologies are "dead", and what are "the future".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post

Thunderbolt is not a mass-produced consumer technology. It's a prosumer technology targeted for professionals and high-end users. There will never be $2.50 Thunderbolt cables on Monoprice, or bunch of cheap peripherals made by Chinese. Creative professionals who spend $1600 on a Promise TB RAID array don't care about saving ten bucks on a cable.

Stick to your USB, and stop commenting on things you don't understand.

Last edited by ctyrider; Jan 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
ctyrider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:02 AM   #98
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I thought they "relented" and "gave us all USB 3" when Intel built USB 3 support into their chipsets.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 AM   #99
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Early 2011 - Thunderbolt debuted and initially very expensive and with no accessories and the 2011 Macs don't have USB 3 ports:

"It's a new technology! It will improve and have more accessories over time therefore lowering the cost! It's lightyears better than USB 3!"

Early 2013 - Thunderbolt is 2 years old and still very expensive and with no accessories (well... there are some... like the $299.9 dock?):

"It's not for the mass! It's targeted to the prosumer! The professionals! It's not for the unwashed poor people like you!"
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:16 AM   #100
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
I doubt that. Ivy Bridge does support USB 3.0 without additional hardware.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion