Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Jamie Clay
macrumors newbie

Simply solution have a 24 to 48 hour refund window

I'm sure this is the last thing Apple wants because they'll loose money, but if Apple really cared about the customer, they should make all sales pending a grace period (24 to 48 hours) where if you remove the app in that time frame, there is no charge.

If you install an app, remove it within the grace period then re-install it, you're immediately charged (like the store currently does)

It certainly would make scams like this less likely to happen.
Jamie Clay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

...which thousands of people then purchased.

And never received refunds from Apple.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:19 PM   #28
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod. View Post
This at least has the benefit of someone not downloading a ton of useless apps if they borrow your phone without your knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
The only exception is the bolded part. For me, sometimes I hand my iPhone to my 6 yr old to play with and he knows how to roam the app store very well. If free apps didn't require at least an initial password-authoriztion, I'd get my phone back with pages and pages of newly installed apps.
Very valid concern, but I think this would be better handled if Apple allowed temporary override of restricted operation. For instance, my iPad is sometimes used by my 4-year son. Under Restrictions, it has both Installing Apps and Deleting Apps restricted. IMO, there should be an option to override restricted operation via passcode.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #29
Dorje Sylas
macrumors regular

Do diligence, it's a customer's obligation regardless of how high they think the garden walls are. Always reasearch your apps if you care about your money (and your privacy).
Dorje Sylas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:33 PM   #30
Morshu9001
Banned

And THIS is one of the reasons why I used to pirate something to test it before buying it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I always liked how "ponzi scheme" sounded, even though it is completely unrelated.
Ponzi schemes could be used for good instead of evil... Gangsters give out loans, don't they? You see where I'm going with this, right?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
So ... there's no Pokemon Yellow...? *Sniff*
Jailbreak FTW! And this is why iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:35 PM   #31
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare

I never did this, but it was nice to be able to touch up screenshots without going through approval.

Shame on the scammers who've taken away money from innocent customers and privileges from honest developers.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:48 PM   #32
firewood
macrumors 603

As a developer, I has actually thought that they closed this loophole 2 or more years ago (along with stopping developers from gaming the store by adding misleading keywords or trademarks of competitors, etc.) I'm surprised that they still allowed screenshot gaming till today.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
While this is a good move, I don't think Apple is going far enough.

At the very least, buyers should be able to report (as well as request for refund) directly from the iOS device ...
Done. You can hit the "Report a Problem" link in your emailed iTunes receipt directly from your iOS device Mail app.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #33
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Vizin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:12 PM   #34
imacintosh.0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadmon View Post
Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.
Lol. I was waiting to see how someone would spin this negatively. Never gets old.
imacintosh.0 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:12 PM   #35
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
You can hit the "Report a Problem" link in your emailed iTunes receipt directly from your iOS device Mail app.
Perhaps the link used to work, but on iOS 6, the link opens iTunes app (not App Store) and it will generate "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error. The link does work on Mac or PC with iTunes installed, but in my experience, Apple rarely responds to the problem reported.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:15 PM   #36
ethana
Banned

As a developer myself, I am happy about this change. Just removes more crap from the App Store so good apps can actually have a better chance to shine.
ethana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:15 PM   #37
Dagless
macrumors Core

Eh, there should still be exceptions, or a process of having screenshots approved by Apple.

I always support my games (PC/Steam) with new features, sometimes years after release. And sometimes those new features might change how the renderer works or improves the visuals somehow.
Not that I make iOS games so it doesn't really affect me.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #38
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
Perhaps the link used to work, but on iOS 6, the link opens iTunes app (not App Store) and it will generate "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error. The link does work on Mac or PC with iTunes installed, but in my experience, Apple rarely responds to the problem reported.
Hmmm... That's bad.

Maybe someone should try to "Report a Problem" to Apple about their broken "Report a Problem" link.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #39
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised Apple hadn't already implemented something like this into the App Store prior to these incidents.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #40
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Finally.

Also, in relation to the POKéMON stuff being talked about… this.
sazivad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:50 PM   #41
dennno
macrumors regular

These scammers have made it more annoying for genuine devs to change their screenshots dynamically. So we now have to submit an update every single time we want to change the screenshots. Why couldn't these people just find something better to do. It's such a waste of everyone's time.

Quote:
Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.
I'm not sure if you read the first post properly. They do test the apps, but the initial screenshots and icons they submit are NOT of the pokemon yellow you see. Once Apple approves the app the devs can then change the screenshot to bypass further checks from Apple.

So technically the app works for what it was intended to, like that one in the video. But you can't expect Apple to review every single screenshot change.
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:58 PM   #42
mjtomlin

Quote:
These apps were being reviewed.

The devs were changing the screen shots after they were reviewed.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 9, 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
mjtomlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:12 PM   #43
Twimfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtafoua View Post
This actually makes a lot of sense. Good job, apple. I'm also really liking the new icons on the iTunes connect home screen. Any other devs notice that?
Yeah I just noticed that (financial reports have just rolled in).

I remember this whole Pokemon Yellow fiasco.

At the time I was tempted to knock up something similar but then I remembered I'm a normal half decent human being.

Currently slaving my way making a COCOS2D game which is hopefully worth buying and nobody sees as a rip off.
][e 1.023Mhz, 64Kb Ram.
Twimfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:12 PM   #44
Tech198
macrumors 68040

lol... good scam.... What that always the way ?

If ya honest, then not to worry.

I wonder what other little "surprises" Apple doesn't know about.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:19 PM   #45
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
These apps were being reviewed.
No matter what, must be a very tedious process to review all apps that are pouring in. No matter their process, manual or automated, I think they can't review them in the detail they should.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:21 PM   #46
mrmarts
macrumors 65816

So funny yet it hurts, that could be anyone of us i would hate to think buying a new app like Joe Danger touch and getting a ping pong game instead.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #47
bdavis89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
Reading comprehension fail.

From the article:
"This small but important update shuts down a widely used scam tactic, where developers would upload game screenshots to get an app approved by Apple and then switch them out with screenshots from another popular app."

See that order of operation? Developers were previously allowed to switch the screen shots AFTER it was approved, thus tricking people. Now they can not switch it after the fact. Under the new rules, the approvers will have a chance to recognized illegitimate "screen shots" that don't belong to the app being reviewed. I readily approve of this move.
Thank goodness! We were all holding our breath!

This is just more proof that the walled garden doesn't always work. When something does happen its because of consumer negligence assuming everything Apple approves is safe and legit. I'm sure reading the description and reviews of the apps in question would have tipped a potential buyer off. Who is going to buy Pokemon when the developer isn't Nintendo? Red flag right there.
bdavis89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:47 PM   #48
koban4max
In Time-Out

Apple sucks... why now? Why didn't they take action before?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:04 PM   #49
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

This scam tactic explains why a screensaver app was #48 on the paid charts over the holiday. It had changed the description and screenshots to minecraft. It was so obviously trying to pretend to be minecraft that I wondered how it had managed to stay posted for so long. I couldn't believe so many people bought it thinking it was minecraft. I mean, the real minecraft game was #6 on the charts, meaning they actually scrolled past it to buy the fake one.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:35 PM   #50
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
its the most valuable & potentially rich company in the world in a country with soaring unemployment.

they can hire some more people to screen
There is a sustainable business model "we have money, lets spend it"
JoshBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion