Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac all come in different sizes. I believe the next generation iPhone should as well. Am I wrong on this one? Is there not a big enough group of people who would enjoy a 5 inch screen?

I am able to manage online stores and sales to an extent with my current iPhone 5, but, a bigger screen would just make things easier for me at least.

I can think of a few reasons why I would love a bigger iPhone, but what are all the disadvantages of producing a 5inch iPhone?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac all come in different sizes. I believe the next generation iPhone should as well. Am I wrong on this one? Is there not a big enough group of people who would enjoy a 5 inch screen?

I am able to manage online stores and sales to an extent with my current iPhone 5, but, a bigger screen would just make things easier for me at least.

I can think of a few reasons why I would love a bigger iPhone, but what are all the disadvantages of producing a 5inch iPhone?

I'm not going to lie, I seen a Note 2 at the bar the other day, white with a flip cover and I fell in love.

I finally got my hands on it, only thing I was somewhat disappointed with was it looked like I was looking at a 3GS since you can see the pixels.

So, if Apple came out with one, I'd get it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh look, another iPhone with a larger screen thread. Why not join the discussions already in place?

I don't want a larger screen. I prefer not to hold a giant ass brick to my head when I want to talk on the phone.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Like it or not, 5" is still considered a bit of a novelty. Apple will never go that big. They had their chance to join the rest of the community when they made the iPhone 5, but chose to remain the smallest high-end smartphone on the market. They won't go larger anytime soon. They have enough squealing fanboys as it is complaining about how huge 4" is.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I like portability. Not just being able to slide it in my pocket(the mini will do that) but real portability along with ease of use. 5" phones don't have that, even 4.5.

If you want iOS on a bigger screen then get a mini. If you don't want that then get an android. Simple as that. For most 4" is the right spot for what a smartphone needs. It allows plenty of space to do what is needed while still being portable. This craze of these huge phones is just a fad. Those that want a 5" screen in a phone have that option right now.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What are the advantages of producing a 5 inch iPhone? You merely stated your advantages. How would that benefit Apple?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Obviously there is a market for a five inch screen. If apple would release multiple screen sizes at once they could asses the sales data over time and then begin to narrow the offerings based on what customers are buying vs what they believe everyone needs.

People used to always argue "if you want a bigger screen get an iPad"- then the iPhone got bigger. Then the iPad got smaller. It might take apple a lot longer than most companies to catch on, but obviously this past 6 months has demonstrated that they are willing to experiment with multiple screen sizes. There is no perfect magical size, consumers will always have different preferences. That's why it benefits any company to offer a couple options.

What if you could only buy a 10 inch or 50 inch TV? What if you could only buy a smart car or an SUV and sedans didn't exists?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I think we will see a larger screen in the fall of 2014 with the iPhone 6. I think they'll get rid of the physical home button and replace it with an on-screen one instead. That will make the screen larger, but it won't be any wider.

I want a wider phone. I thought a 4" screen would satisfy me but now that I've been using the 5 since launch I'm ready for a larger screen. Something in the 5-6" range and IPS.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Like it or not, 5" is still considered a bit of a novelty. Apple will never go that big. They had their chance to join the rest of the community when they made the iPhone 5, but chose to remain the smallest high-end smartphone on the market. They won't go larger anytime soon. They have enough squealing fanboys as it is complaining about how huge 4" is.

4 inches being huge as opposed to what a ***** Nokia from 1998?

Attachments

• nokia cell phones.jpg
    nokia cell phones.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 62

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
There must be something terribly wrong with me. I really dig size of the iPhone 5 and I'd prefer not having a larger phone. 4.3" might work out OK, although I'm not entirely sure on that one. Anything larger and I'd probably have to look elsewhere for my next phone, though.

Anyway, from a hardware development perspective, I think it's a tough sell. One of the factors that is routinely omitted in discussions on this topic is that having a different-sized phone very likely means having to develop and manufacture a new display. With notebook computers (or desktop monitors), this isn't the case. The vast majority of them use existing display models in mass manufacture, and the ones that don't typically just use minor revisions of the main units.

Larger iPhones won't have it so lucky - Apple isn't going to be using existing panels. There are several reasons for this, but chiefly it will be due to Apple's specific resolution requirements, performance requirements (power, gamut, brightness, viewing angles), physical dimensions, and integration of whatever touch solution they ultimately favor. In short, increasing the size of the iPhone yet again means tooling up another custom panel at Apple-sized production volumes. That is a very expensive proposition for both Apple and its suppliers. Having different sizes is arguably even worse. Either suppliers will have to have parallel infrastructure for two panels developed for a single buyer (exceptionally rare in the industry), or Apple will have to go to different suppliers for each. Option 1 is a tough sell for suppliers as it levies a lot of risk on them, Option 2 is tough for Apple given past difficulties with meeting demand.

I think one of the traps we often fall into is that we start with a personal preference and desire a world that meets that preference. We then marshal evidence in favor of arguing for that future, and in the process our impression can shift from a simple ought to inevitability after wading knee-deep through confirmatory evidence. However, for the most part, my impression is that Apple still appears to primarily sell to consumers for whom Android and Windows Phone are not strong competitors (or perhaps not competitors at all). This may be due to things like vendor lock-in (via the app store), size preference (some people actually prefer the smaller form factor), brand loyalty, influence by salespeople, or something about the Apple ethos (e.g. "ease of use"). As a result, while there appears to be demand for larger phones, it's unclear whether meeting that demand will translate into counterfactually greater sales that would adequately compensate for the costs of such a strategy. Thus, overall, Apple has a strong disincentive from a development standpoint to retool for yet another display size (or especially multiple sizes), and the incentive to do so is at least ambiguous.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
There must be something terribly wrong with me. I really dig size of the iPhone 5 and I'd prefer not having a larger phone. 4.3" might work out OK, although I'm not entirely sure on that one. Anything larger and I'd probably have to look elsewhere for my next phone, though.
HTC came out with a 4.3" screen way back when the iPhone 4 was introduced. I played with it at best buy and loved the size (but the battery was pathetic). The iPhone 4 felt much too small by comparison and still does. That 2" wide screen is just too damn tiny. I could give a hoot about how much taller they can make it.

I'd like to see a 4.3 iPhone, but doubt Apple will shake things up again over .3". I think they drew their line in the sand with the iPhone 5.

The big question, though, is where can Apple go with an iPhone 6?

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
i used a galaxy s3 for about a month before getting my i5. the gs3 screen was amazing... but then it had android :(
i6 should just go with the s3 screen size. note 2 is too big IMO. but then again, to each his own.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apple have to do it.

It's the next big market, fact. And Apple could do it better. I'd buy one instantly.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
HTC came out with a 4.3" screen way back when the iPhone 4 was introduced. I played with it at best buy and loved the size (but the battery was pathetic). The iPhone 4 felt much too small by comparison and still does. That 2" wide screen is just too damn tiny. I could give a hoot about how much taller they can make it.

I'd like to see a 4.3 iPhone, but doubt Apple will shake things up again over .3". I think they drew their line in the sand with the iPhone 5.

The big question, though, is where can Apple go with an iPhone 6?

This. I loved the size of my uncles 1X. I even enjoyed the vibrancy and how the OS seemed more... alive? IDK. But after fiddling with it for a few hours, I realized I just wanted iOS on the damn thing.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
The 'one size fits all' philosophy is a bit out-dated I think. Apple sticks to this screen because one-handed use is an absolute requirement. Like non-negotiable.

I don't think that's the right angle. A lot of consumers love big screens, more than one-handed use. Apple should stop deciding for us that we should prefer one-handed use over a bigger screen.

Don't get me wrong, I think the current 4" size is close to perfection. However, depending on circumstances, different people might like different sizes. Men have larger hands than women and can use a 4.5" screen (or bigger) with one-hand easily. Others with smaller hands don't mind using two hands. Women put their phone in their bags 99% of the time, for them screen size doesn't really mater. I think it is very clear that one size does not fit all and Apple should think so too. They came around with the iPad mini, I think it's only a matter of time before they will with the iPhone.

The bottom line is: bigger screens aren't just 'bigger', they can also be a lot better. Just like the iPad mini isn't just 'smaller and cheaper', it's also better for a lot of people.

When I think of it, Apple has always made different sizes for each of their products. iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPad, Apple Cinema Display and even routers, they all come in different sizes! Why shouldn't the iPhone?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The 'one size fits all' philosophy is a bit out-dated I think. Apple sticks to this screen because one-handed use is an absolute requirement. Like non-negotiable.

I don't think that's the right angle. A lot of consumers love big screens, more than one-handed use. Apple should stop deciding for us that we should prefer one-handed use over a bigger screen.

Don't get me wrong, I think the current 4" size is close to perfection. However, depending on circumstances, different people might like different sizes. Men have larger hands than women and can use a 4.5" screen (or bigger) with one-hand easily. Others with smaller hands don't mind using two hands. Women put their phone in their bags 99% of the time, for them screen size doesn't really mater. I think it is very clear that one size does not fit all and Apple should think so too. They came around with the iPad mini, I think it's only a matter of time before they will with the iPhone.

The bottom line is: bigger screens aren't just 'bigger', they can also be a lot better. Just like the iPad mini isn't just 'smaller and cheaper', it's also better for a lot of people.

When I think of it, Apple has always made different sizes for each of their products. iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPad, Apple Cinema Display and even routers, they all come in different sizes! Why shouldn't the iPhone?
If you think about it, it's genius that a company (Apple in this case) can convince users that they don't need options so said company doesn't have to work harder meeting those options. Kind of the Model-T Ford mentality of "you can have any color you want as long as it's black".

So far, it's worked for them.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
If you think about it, it's genius that a company (Apple in this case) can convince users that they don't need options so said company doesn't have to work harder meeting those options. Kind of the Model-T Ford mentality of "you can have any color you want as long as it's black".

I couldn't have said it any better myself. You've described Apple precisely.

In the "rare" event, they actually get out of their comfort (and control) zone, and build a contemporary iPhone with a 4.5 to 5.0" display, I'll be thrilled.

The iPhone 5 I have would be simply ideal with a larger screen.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008

You make it sound like Apple is lazy. They're not. Simply put, they go for the long run. A single screen size is developer friendly, Apple needs developers because it is important to their ecosystem, and their ecosystem is important because of the 'Halo-effect'. This strategy is a direct result of vision that makes Apple so good. They saw pretty early that fragmentation could harm the ecosystem, of which they understood pretty early that it is vital for success in the long run.

So far, I can understand and support every decision Apple has made regarding the iPhone. However, I can't help feeling that the iPhone 5 should have been there in 2011 instead of the iPhone 4S. The 4S made Apple the laggerd. It's a shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.