Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Saladsamurai
macrumors regular

iPhone 4 Unlock/Jailbreak Questions

Hi folks

Sorry if this is posted already, I am searching and reading a lot, but it is a bit much. I not very up to date on phone technology and the iPhone has been the fist smartphone I have ever used.

I am on AT&T and I am still under contract with my iPhone 4 iOS 6.0.1. I am traveling to Ghana, Africa for the second time this year and I am exploring the potential of using my iPhone there. I would like to be able still use ATT until the trip and then when I get to Ghana, pop out the SIM card and use a local carrier's SIM. Then, when I return to the US, I want to just pop the ATT SIM back in like nothing ever happened. I am assuming that I must jailbreak the iPhone in order to do this. Correct?

How feasible is this? I WILL NOT have my computer with me so that a "tethered Jailbreak" is not a good option. It seems that there is no untethered JB for iOS 6 on iPhone 4. I would be willig to downgrade my iOS if that helps.

Is it possible to incrementally upgrade iOS? Factory default puts me back to iOS 4.0.2 I think. There are jailbreaks for iOS 5 though; I am just unsure as to whether I can go from iOS 4 to iOS 5 or if I have to go straight to iOS 6.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions are welcome. Worst case, I buy a "throwaway" smartphone when I get there.

Thanks,
Salad
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Nermal

I believe that AT&T will officially unlock iPhones now for a small fee. An official unlock will avoid all of the hassle around jailbreaking etc.
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Saladsamurai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I believe that AT&T will officially unlock iPhones now for a small fee. An official unlock will avoid all of the hassle around jailbreaking etc.
Hi Nermal

As I said, I am still under contract with AT&T and so I am pretty sure they won't do it for me (or for free). I had a 3GS that is no longer under contract that I was going to have them unlock, which would have been perfect. I took it out of the drawer last night (it has been in there for over a year) and plugged it in. This morning I woke up to find that the battery had swelled to the point it bursted the plastic casing In addition, the screen had what looked like a burn from the inside on it. Needless to say, I don't really trust that phone any longer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #4
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

Having never jailbroken, you would not be able to downgrade to ios 5 (of which there are jailbreaks available), and a factory restore (through itunes) would put you back to 6.0.1. Apple would not let you go back to ios 4.

That being said, you have no need for jailbreak. Since it is AT&T, look on ebay and purchase an IMEI Unlock, also known as a Factory Unlock. In this case the phone and Apple will think it is unlocked and you would use it just like the way you described, pop in sim and go.

A lot of users on this forum rave about unlock_fusion which you can purchase for $2.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladsamurai View Post
Hi Nermal

As I said, I am still under contract with AT&T and so I am pretty sure they won't do it for me (or for free). I had a 3GS that is no longer under contract that I was going to have them unlock, which would have been perfect. I took it out of the drawer last night (it has been in there for over a year) and plugged it in. This morning I woke up to find that the battery had swelled to the point it bursted the plastic casing In addition, the screen had what looked like a burn from the inside on it. Needless to say, I don't really trust that phone any longer
Buy an AT&T IMEI unlock on eBay for $5-10. It take about 24 hours to get it done. It makes it a factory unlocked phone.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes eBay seller will unlock it even though you're under contract.
Unlock fuzion will do it for around $3.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Saladsamurai
macrumors regular

Thank you :)

Thank you everyone for your reply. I am currently looking at this (this was the only "Unlock Fusion" I could find):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Does anyone have experience with the Factory Unlock? Can anyone confirm that I can swap out the SIM card whenever I want without needing to re-connect to iTunes? This is important, as I will not have my computer while out of country.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:26 PM   #8
chumawumba
Banned

Quote:
Hi Nermal

Picture?
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your reply. I am currently looking at this (this was the only "Unlock Fusion" I could find):

Does anyone have experience with the Factory Unlock? Can anyone confirm that I can swap out the SIM card whenever I want without needing to re-connect to iTunes? This is important, as I will not have my computer while out of country.

Thanks again everyone.
Get a prepaid T-Mobile SIM here in the US and test it. You can get it from T-Mobile online for 99 cents. Do the re-sync if need be here in the US before you go.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Thanks again everyone.
Yep. That's the guy bro.
I did 4 iPhone 5 devices locked to AT&T with him.
You'll be fine.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Saladsamurai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Get a prepaid T-Mobile SIM here in the US and test it. You can get it from T-Mobile online for 99 cents. Do the re-sync if need be here in the US before you go.
Good idea to test it here before I go. However, re-syncing here will not do me any good. I want to use a SIM from Ghana, which I will purchase when I get there. We'll see what the test reveals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced
Yep. That's the guy bro.
You'll be fine.
Nice! Thanks again man
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Saladsamurai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yep. That's the guy bro.
You'll be fine.
Hey Aj. I just went through the process. The final step is to restore the iPhone, which wipes out everything. I assume I can then set up the iPhone from a backup and all will be well? Meaning it will be unlocked AND as it was before with respect to apps, etc? Thanks again!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hey Aj. I just went through the process. The final step is to restore the iPhone, which wipes out everything. I assume I can then set up the iPhone from a backup and all will be well? Meaning it will be unlocked AND as it was before with respect to apps, etc? Thanks again!
You don't necessarily have to restore. I have done this IMEI unlocking and I just tested it with a T-Mobile SIM card. Doesn't even have to be an activated SIM card.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone