Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I'm going to give my iPad to someone because I have an Air and don't feel I really take advantage of everything the iPad offers. My only concern is I do like it for reading. I got a Nook to try for reading and this thing sucks. I was thinking of getting a Mini just for that. People who have the Mini are you happy? Yeah I know a new one is probably coming out in March, but that really doesn't concern me. Thanks

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
I'm going to give my iPad to someone because I have an Air and don't feel I really take advantage of everything the iPad offers. My only concern is I do like it for reading. I got a Nook to try for reading and this thing sucks. I was thinking of getting a Mini just for that. People who have the Mini are you happy? Yeah I know a new one is probably coming out in March, but that really doesn't concern me. Thanks

I went from an iPad 3 to a iPad mini and I do like the mini. The retina display was clearer but it's not a huge deal to me. I have several books and a few magazine subscriptions all on the mini and they are certainly readable. To me the biggest plus for the mini is the form factor which I prefer over the big iPad.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008

The ipad mini is a nice little machine, but I"ll be getting rid of mine tomorrow. I'm over 50 and my eyes need a larger screen. I"ll be getting the iPad 4 tomorrow. I only wish the 4's speakers were as loud as the mini. I also wish the 4 was as thin as the mini. I used to own the 3 so I'm used to the weight. I will surely miss the light weight of the mini. And the screen is not as bad as most say. But then again, my eyes are more than 50 years old..

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Can I be that somebody? :-D

When were dating then I will give you all the Apple products you want :)

I went from an iPad 3 to a iPad mini and I do like the mini. The retina display was clearer but it's not a huge deal to me. I have several books and a few magazine subscriptions all on the mini and they are certainly readable. To me the biggest plus for the mini is the form factor which I prefer over the big iPad.

Thats some good insight and good info for me. I don't play games on mine, I'll sit on Facebook or instagram on it haha, but mainly just reading on it. Thanks!

ougum

Good to know about the eyes. Knock on wood, my eyes are great so far, but I'm only 29. I was unaware the speakers were better on the mini than the 4? Thats kind of encouraging, I wasn't really planning on putting much music or things on it, but maybe I will if the speakers are good.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
The ipad mini is a nice little machine, but I"ll be getting rid of mine tomorrow. I'm over 50 and my eyes need a larger screen. I"ll be getting the iPad 4 tomorrow. I only wish the 4's speakers were as loud as the mini. I also wish the 4 was as thin as the mini. I used to own the 3 so I'm used to the weight. I will surely miss the light weight of the mini. And the screen is not as bad as most say. But then again, my eyes are more than 50 years old..

I'm sticking with my trusty iPad 2 until then next gen comes out.

I tried the mini and didn't like it. A bit like an expensive toy. I preferred my Kindle Fire HD at half the price!

Bought an iPad 4 in December and took it back on the 7th Jan and got a full refund. Tried to like it but the better screen did not make up for the extra weight.

The 2 is an excellent compromise.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

You and the OP should just swap.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I got it, so far so good. I like the feel in my hands. It seems to fit better in my hands than the regular iPad did. I haven't really noticed much so far as far as screen resolution, then again I've owned it for like an hour..........wifi does seem a bit slower than the regular iPad but nothing too bad. So far so good!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I love mine. The weight and thinness of it is incredible. It's almost like holding nothing. The screen doesn't bother me. It feels like a completely different device than the iPad, in a good way. It's really a great little machine.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The iPad mini is my favorite Apple product to come about in a while. The retina display on the iPad 4 is very nice, but if I don't use it that much due to the size and weight, is it really worth it? I use my mini so much more than any other iPad I've owned, and I just love the thing. The text isn't as sharp and crisp, but it's not hard to read or bad.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I've had every gen of the iPad and the iPad mini as well. Recently converted to the iPad mini, but took a look at the iPad 4 at an Apple store today. Funny what a change in perspective can do. The iPad 4 screen feels enormous, but so the bezels. Feels extremely chunky.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I miss the retina, I miss the speed, but when it comes down to the form factor of the Mini, you cant match it atm. Its think and a good size that allows me to use it more. Yeah the larger ipads are faster/stronger/better display but it becomes obsolete when it becomes a burden to me just to use it. :apple:

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I might have given the Google Nexus 7 a try as well as possibly a Kindle Fire, only thing is I would have had to order something versus walking into the Apple store and just picking 1 up. I do realize it might not be as powerful machine as the above mentioned or have the stats, but man, the interface is so nice. I do love how iOS operates

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Went from the iPad 2 to the iPad mini. While I can't attest to the Retina display on it because the iPad 2 doesn't have one, I can certainly say I appreciate the size and weight of the mini a lot more. I have the iPhone 5 but moving between it and the iPad mini doesn't bother me display wise. It might be because I'm used to the non Retina display from previous Apple devices.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I've got a mini, mainly purchased to display and read PDFs for school, which it excels at - in fact I've got some double page scans to read for class tonight, which I'll do on my mini (with much joy compared to printing out reams of paper). Personally, I've not experienced any of the negative effects of reading on this device, despite the fact my eyes are fast approaching half a century old (in a few short years, sigh). GoodReader is a great PDF app and allows for cropping excess white space on pages, which maximises the viewing of actual text which might be one reason my experience has been nothing but positive.

As for reading other books that aren't PDFs, most of the time I choose my Kindle over the iPad, in fact I just upgraded my bog standard Kindle to the Paperwhite, which is awesome. I'll never give up my Kindle, reading on it is too much fun but it's a complement to my mini (about which I can't say enough wonderful things) which does so many other things (especially the games!).

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I might have given the Google Nexus 7 a try as well as possibly a Kindle Fire, only thing is I would have had to order something versus walking into the Apple store and just picking 1 up. I do realize it might not be as powerful machine as the above mentioned or have the stats, but man, the interface is so nice. I do love how iOS operates

I had a nexus 7 that I sold and replaced with a mini. I loved the screen and formfactor of the nexus but the apps on android are really not up to the standard of iOS-apps. Almost no tablet-apps. And then we have the problem with web browsing... There is no browser for android that delivers a smooth experience anywhere close to safari on iOS.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Having had iPad 1 and 3 and now gone to the mini I will not return to a full size iPad, its just too big and heavy.

That Retina is slightly more clear than the current mini display is but this is more than offset by the fact the mini weighs so much less.

Superb product, I don't miss the full size iPad at all.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I can't imagine using the iPad mini for reading. The screen kills my eyes. I got a mini for my daughter for when we travel. It's great for her toddler games and movies, but any kind of reading on it kills my eyes.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you have an air and don't use the pad, the mini is a nice compromise. It feels GREAT! The screen is nothing compared to retina, I almost prefer reading on my computer IPS over the mini screen. I prefer the ipad 4 screen but the weight is negligible so I understand why people like the mini. I think once the mini goes retina, it's game over :eek:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iPad Mini and iPad 3 here in this household and I love them both, but tend to reach for the Mini more often than the iPad 3..... The smaller dimensions and the lighter weight really DO make a difference! As someone well over 50 who is climbing up the aging ladder I have no problems with reading on the iPad Mini, but, yes, I also do appreciate the beautiful retina screen on my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5. If I could have only one of these two devices right now, I would go with the iPad Mini.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I can't imagine using the iPad mini for reading. The screen kills my eyes. I got a mini for my daughter for when we travel. It's great for her toddler games and movies, but any kind of reading on it kills my eyes.

I don't understand why people say this. You can change the font size in iBooks.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I'm sticking with my trusty iPad 2 until then next gen comes out.

I tried the mini and didn't like it. A bit like an expensive toy. I preferred my Kindle Fire HD at half the price!

Bought an iPad 4 in December and took it back on the 7th Jan and got a full refund. Tried to like it but the better screen did not make up for the extra weight.

The 2 is an excellent compromise.

I think you mean a "cheaper" expensive toy. What makes it feel like an expensive toy compared to the full size iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.