Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 22, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
henry.malik19
macrumors newbie

2015 11" Macbook Air Water Damage

Hello. I have a question about a repair and compatability

I have a 2015 11" Macbook Air i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB SSD with water damage sadly

I do tech work so I am nto afraid to get dirty and fix some parts. However I wanted to know if a 2014 11" MacBook Air i7 1.7GHz logic board would work as a replacement.

I looked at ifixit and as far as logic board replacements for both the logic boards look virtually identical.

Im not worried about the same hardware i know the cpu is different but i just want to make sure that if i replace it will turn on.

What issues might i run into?

Thanks
henry.malik19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015, 10:01 AM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about the Logic Boards and whether it would fit but what I can suggest from experience is that other components, other than the MLB, could be damaged. For instance: the display cable, keyboard, battery, things like that. If the battery is damaged or corroded it could fry a replacement Logic Board (it's happened before).

I suppose it would be best to verify that all contacts on the other components are OK, and also see where the corrosions on the damaged Logic Board were. If it's near the battery connector or display, this could indicate a potential problem down the line.

I'd suggest that if the Logic Board and its connectors looks identical, it should fit - again though I'm not 100% on this so please don't take that as gospel.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Rickkap
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry.malik19 View Post
Hello. I have a question about a repair and compatability

I have a 2015 11" Macbook Air i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB SSD with water damage sadly

I do tech work so I am nto afraid to get dirty and fix some parts. However I wanted to know if a 2014 11" MacBook Air i7 1.7GHz logic board would work as a replacement.

I looked at ifixit and as far as logic board replacements for both the logic boards look virtually identical.

Im not worried about the same hardware i know the cpu is different but i just want to make sure that if i replace it will turn on.

What issues might i run into?

Thanks
Hi,

Yes it will fit, it's an A1465 logic board, make sure the SSD is included with the 2014 model as i think they are different. Check on eBay for a ssd for a 2015 model and see if it will fit the 2014 model.

BTW why don't you fix the 2015 logic board??
Rickkap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015, 12:37 PM   #4
henry.malik19
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkap View Post
Hi,

Yes it will fit, it's an A1465 logic board, make sure the SSD is included with the 2014 model as i think they are different. Check on eBay for a ssd for a 2015 model and see if it will fit the 2014 model.

BTW why don't you fix the 2015 logic board??
What do you mean fix the 2015 logic board? What exactly to fix?

I was going to use the 2014 logic board as a replacement. because i can get it for cheap

Last edited by henry.malik19; May 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
henry.malik19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Rickkap
macrumors newbie

Most boards can be repaired if you have experience in board level repair. If your not will to repair it would you be interested in selling it?
Rickkap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air