Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Cherrysftw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Counterstrike 1.6 on Macbook Pro retina 13inch

Im buying my first mac tommorow, and the only game I plan on playing is counterstrike 1.6. I have been playing this game for 6 years on a windows based laptop so look forward to playing it on the mac, as it has been recently ported onto Mac OS. The macbook I intend on buying is the haswell rMBP, with 8GB ram 256SSD 2.4ghz iris graphics etc (the mid spec one).

Has anyone played this on their mac laptops, does it run smoothly? The only video of gameplay I found stated that there was an issue with OSX mouse acceleration (not sure whats meant by this).

The website states these as requirements:

Minimum: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, 4GB Hard Drive Space,NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, ATI X1600 or higher, or Intel HD 3000 or higher Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

wot do
Cherrysftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
CS 1.6 can run on a toaster oven; you'll be fine there.

The mouse acceleration issue is a different matter. OS X handles this differently than Windows does, and it will feel quite unnatural. The easiest way to work around it is to install a program called SteerMouse. It works with pretty much any USB mouse, and you can fine-tune the acceleration curve to get it extremely close to where it is in Windows. The downside is that SteerMouse costs $20 for a license, but it is permanent, so you'd get all subsequent upgrades for free.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Cherrysftw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
CS 1.6 can run on a toaster oven; you'll be fine there.

The mouse acceleration issue is a different matter. OS X handles this differently than Windows does, and it will feel quite unnatural. The easiest way to work around it is to install a program called SteerMouse. It works with pretty much any USB mouse, and you can fine-tune the acceleration curve to get it extremely close to where it is in Windows. The downside is that SteerMouse costs $20 for a license, but it is permanent, so you'd get all subsequent upgrades for free.
oh damn, im gonna be broke as a joke after this laptop purchase that I won't have money for this software. So all in all, counterstrike wont run similarly to windows on mac os? Is this something that will be permanent with the laptop I plan on buying or will it be fixed through an update in the near future?
Cherrysftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrysftw View Post
oh damn, im gonna be broke as a joke after this laptop purchase that I won't have money for this software. So all in all, counterstrike wont run similarly to windows on mac os? Is this something that will be permanent with the laptop I plan on buying or will it be fixed through an update in the near future?
While games run slower in OS X than they do in Windows, for a game as old as the one you want, the difference is not going to matter.

What mouse do you use?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Cherrysftw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
While games run slower in OS X than they do in Windows, for a game as old as the one you want, the difference is not going to matter.

What mouse do you use?

It's some gaming mouse , http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CPGHAA.

Worked great on windows, god knows how mac will prevail.
Cherrysftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
CS 1.6 can run on a toaster oven; you'll be fine there.

The mouse acceleration issue is a different matter. OS X handles this differently than Windows does, and it will feel quite unnatural. The easiest way to work around it is to install a program called SteerMouse. It works with pretty much any USB mouse, and you can fine-tune the acceleration curve to get it extremely close to where it is in Windows. The downside is that SteerMouse costs $20 for a license, but it is permanent, so you'd get all subsequent upgrades for free.
No need to pay for SteerMouse - SmoothMouse does the same thing for free.

http://www.smoothmouse.com
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No need to pay for SteerMouse - SmoothMouse does the same thing for free.

http://www.smoothmouse.com
Smoothmouse only handles the acceleration/lag issue. SteerMouse does this plus give you complete control over the buttons, including the ability to assign profiles to different applications.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Yep, you want Steermouse. There are others like USB Overdrive but Steermouse is the most updated most often. I'm using a Logitech G500s. You will want to change the cursor settings in Steermouse.
My settings are shown below. Some people say you should put tracking speed at zero to remove all mouse acceleration but this is what works for me.

__________________
Mac user since 1984.
DarwinOSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13inch MacBook Pro retina question AppleHater MacBook Pro 10 Feb 11, 2014 03:09 PM
Asus Zenbook (13inch) vs. Apple Macbook-Air (13inch) / Macbook-Retina (15inch) Sahee MacBook Pro 164 Sep 23, 2013 04:21 PM
Something moving around inside my 13inch Retina Macbook Pro? Sean76 MacBook Pro 1 Jul 27, 2013 06:56 PM
FCP7 and 13inch Macbook Pro retina dogpaw MacBook Pro 3 Jun 27, 2013 08:05 PM
Price predictions for 13inch Macbook Pro Retina? solidus12 MacBook Pro 11 Jun 20, 2012 01:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC