Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt Display

Please bear with me. I am unlucky enough to be one of the people with a TBD that has the static, crackling sound from the speakers. Here is more information on it just for reference:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0
here:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...ew_macbook_air
and here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1241915

Some believe it is limited to just MBA's (which I have) but I can't test this because I don't have any other thunderbolt enabled Macs. Others think its something that plagues all devices paired with the display. Honestly I have no idea what to believe.

I took it to the Apple Store and of course couldn't recreate the problem on the spot. The only information the Genius gave me is that it could be the electric current in my house being uneven (or something to that effect). It could also be the power cord because I stupidly left it at home (he used 2 different power cords and couldn't recreate the static noises).

The static noises are pretty infrequent and the rest of the display is in flawless condition. I am thinking of selling the display because between the static sounds and how infrequently I use the display, it is not worth letting $1000 look nice on my desk. I would like advice on a fair price to both me and a potential buyer based on the condition the display is in. Obviously I don't want to screw over a potential buyer by selling him a poor display for a ton of money but I would like to recoup as much money as possible while still being fair.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
53x12
macrumors 68000

Refurb ATD is $829 from Apple. Just look on eBay for completed listings or on CL to get an idea. Is AC extended on your ATD? When does it end. Honestly you will probably have to price yourself well into the low $700 range. Maybe $725-750 depending on AC.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

honestly. If you have a defective product and couldn't get a replacement from Apple, you really may be stuck taking considerably less than half. If refurbs are doing 800ish. Used ones sell typically for 600-700. Used with some sort of a defect is probably going to drop the price to 400ish.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
designs216
macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about the problem. Perhaps take it to Kinkos or somewhere similar (ie away from your home) and use the same cord, etc to see if you can replicate the issue. If it turns out to be a problem that only occurs in your home, then you can set your price in line with what you see on eBay.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5
NeverhadaPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
The static noises are pretty infrequent and the rest of the display is in flawless condition.
By any chance, is the plug in the wall grounded poorly? Or are you positioning the ATD near powerful speakers?

1) Try different outlets in your home in different rooms (since they are likely on different circuits)
2) Try outlets at friends homes
3) Can you try with another cord?

If noise persists in all cases, bring it back to Apple store with YOUR cord and replicate noise.

If noise disappears in different rooms or at friends home, problem is with your cord or home. Sell ATD for near-refurb prices.

Makes sense?
NeverhadaPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverhadaPC View Post
By any chance, is the plug in the wall grounded poorly? Or are you positioning the ATD near powerful speakers?

1) Try different outlets in your home in different rooms (since they are likely on different circuits)
2) Try outlets at friends homes
3) Can you try with another cord?

If noise persists in all cases, bring it back to Apple store with YOUR cord and replicate noise.

If noise disappears in different rooms or at friends home, problem is with your cord or home. Sell ATD for near-refurb prices.

Makes sense?
Used is usually substantially less than refurb, particularly when out of warranty. Used with a documented problem is far less.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
NeverhadaPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
Used is usually substantially less than refurb, particularly when out of warranty. Used with a documented problem is far less.
I agree. My assumption was that it was covered by AC.

If not under AC and there is no problem once the cord or outlet changes AND ADC is in flawless condition, I guess used pricing would suffice.

If problem is manifest on ADC and not under AC, then it's ~25% less than used (since its defective) is fair.
NeverhadaPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
macbook air, monitor, price, tbd, thunderbolt