Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

A Very Sour Note for Apple

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: A Very Sour Note for Apple

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 05:24 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Just another pointless story about the so called flawed nano. Nothing new. Nothing to see here...
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:19 AM   #3
Deepdale
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
... Nothing to see here...
Very true. The brief article ended with this: "Or, if their concern runs deep enough, some customers may rethink buying a nano in the first place."

That captures my sentiment precisely. This is one of the few Apple releases over the last several years that did not grab and hold my attention.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:33 AM   #4
Fredo Viola
macrumors member

horse feathers

My excitment for this very sexy little player is undiminished. I want a black one. If they made a regular-sized iPod in black I'd probably prefer that.

But this article "seems like a trend" in an Apple smear campaign. I don't think it will work. When Apple had very vocal crits about their batteries that didn't change how the iPod sold.
Fredo Viola is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:45 AM   #5
Deepdale
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Viola
... But this article "seems like a trend" in an Apple smear campaign. I don't think it will work.
Given their stranglehold on the digital music player market, you are probably right. This is what happens when people are accepting of less than what they deserve in any product purchased.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 07:04 AM   #6
Photorun
Banned

Why don't you see articles about how Windows users getting massive amounts of malware, viruses, crashes (this is aside from my nausea and illness just having to look at fugly XP) and how Windows (any version) is a sour note for Microsoft? Apple is held to some godlike level yet a company like Microsoft can champion mediocrity but that's okay? Thank about a flaming sack of crap!
Photorun is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:54 AM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

The "flawed nano" situation is, in many ways, one of the sweetest notes I've heard from Apple in a while.

* Great value (compare capacity to other flash players that cost the same or not much less--and are bigger and lack a color screen)

* Great reviews leading up to the holiday shopping season

* Same plastic as any other iPod (mine has held up just fine--any portable electronics can benefit from a case), BUT briefly drawing fresh attention to the fact that plastic can be scratched. Why the fresh attention? a) New buyers--people who finally see this iPod as the one to jump on; b) striking thin design draws attention to appearance: makes visible damage more annoying than it would be on a more generic design; c) black color, more popular than white (unlike U2); and d) trolls and people jumping on the bandwagon.

* Susceptible to severe bending--obviously--but with a metal back-plate (few other players can say that) and able to survive being repeatedly run over with a car (as Ars did to it).

* Now here's the good part: screen cracking defect by one of Apple's suppliers. Less that 1/10 of 1% of buyers were affected--and none in future. The problem has been caught, judging by Apple's use of past tense. Why is this good? Not just catching it quickly, but making an announcement ABOUT having caught it. I like that level of communication from Apple. THAT is the sweet note here.

For anyone afraid of "accepting less than they deserve" with the nano: I suggest buying a $20 case. Your nano will still cost less per MB--AND will still be smaller--than competing products. I guess those other flash players must REALLY be less than we deserve

Last edited by nagromme; Oct 1, 2005 at 08:56 AM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:58 AM   #8
rjwill246
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rjwill246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
The "flawed nano" situation is, in many ways, one of the sweetest notes I've heard from Apple in a while.
The exaggerated headline seems to be out of place for a magazine that, in theory, should be making accurate assessments of "things" Apple, rather than being modeled on The Sun or the NY Post. These things do ge passed onto investing analysts-- mine often has relayed to me some "factual" analysis like the above to warn me about the dangers of Apple's lack of quality.

It is intriguing how quiet the industry is about MS--- which shows how afraid people are of its power--- and as pointed out, if Apple were half as bug ridden and quality deranged as MS, the media would destroy them. I guess Apple knows this and it helps keep them in line ;-)
rjwill246 is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Deepdale
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
... For anyone afraid of "accepting less than they deserve" with the nano: I suggest buying a $20 case. Your nano will still cost less per MB--AND will still be smaller--than competing products.
To those for whom an increasingly smaller iPod is one of the central concerns, they must be salivating at the prospect of them being half the size of the current nano in another year or so. I imagine lugging around those bulky minis contributed to debilitating arthritis in the knees.

Last edited by Cinnamon Swirl; Oct 1, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Deepdale is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 02:05 PM   #10
paulypants
macrumors 6502a

I've had a black 4GB since soon after it was released, no scratches. All I'm using to protect it is an iPod sock, which incidentally have left my 20GB 3G iPod looking brand new for 2 years. If you throw a nano into your pocket with a bunch of loose change it will get scratched, and black will show scratches more than white, just ask someone with a black car.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:52 PM   #11
Maedus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Maedus Send a message via MSN to Maedus Send a message via Yahoo to Maedus
I think a "very sour" note for Apple would be if the Nanos spontaneously burst into flames in the users pocket and caught the person on fire. Not .1% of a product after initial release being defective. The media doesn't even decry automotive recalls this badly and automobiles can easily kill yourself and others.
Maedus is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:00 PM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

The problem is that people will always find a flaw with everything, even Apple products. The point that should be made is that Apple listened and fixed it. Unlike Creative when their Zen scroll wheel was breaking and the Dell DJ having some software conflicts, they never fixed it and blamed it on the user.

Apple will always produce products that have some random flaw, it's just how life is. But what sets Apple apart from the others is their willingness to fix their mistake fast.
GoCubsGo is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:10 PM   #13
caps_Lock
Banned

apple says they will fix the screens and they will probably come up with some way of reinforcing the screens, so whats the problem..
caps_Lock is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:56 AM   #14
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorun
Why don't you see articles about how Windows users getting massive amounts of malware, viruses, crashes (this is aside from my nausea and illness just having to look at fugly XP) and how Windows (any version) is a sour note for Microsoft? Apple is held to some godlike level yet a company like Microsoft can champion mediocrity but that's okay? Thank about a flaming sack of crap!
Apple is better, so it's held to a higher standard. M$ is expected to suck. Kind-of ironic, but that's the way it is. It would be like if OS X got a virus. It would be all over the tech news. A new Windows virus? Just another one of many. It actually proves just how good Apple is, because people expect better from them, and are disappointed when there is a flaw.

Plus, for once, they're # 1. This is what happens when you're on top. You're more susceptible to scrutiny.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:24 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G4

Apple--and the iPod especially--has huge mindshare right now. That's a two-edged sword: it means the slightest negative story becomes newsworthy. Anything to generate ad revenue. But mostly it's a good sword
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion