Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy784

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Since I saw this article on how the writer used a Nexus 7 as a data only phone, I've been on a mission to try and figure out how to do this with an iPad mini or iPhone 5. Then, I got to thinking about SIM cards and such and stumbled upon this thread here on MacRumors. Basically, I want to get some feedback on if you guys think this would work.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4S on Verizon. My master plan is to buy an iPad mini from an Apple store and set up the 2GB/month plan on it. Then, I would upgrade to an iPhone 5 over my current 4S. After swapping the SIMs and confirming that the mini SIM works in the 5, I would then terminate my previous contract. This would leave me with an iPhone 5 with a data-only SIM and $30/month. I would then put the original 5 SIM (now clean) into the mini and return it, thus reducing my costs. (I'm aware that I'm paying for a termination fee and such)

So, what are your thoughts? Too much effort? Shady to buy the mini for the SIM and then return it? Won't work? Let me know.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Since I saw this article on how the writer used a Nexus 7 as a data only phone, I've been on a mission to try and figure out how to do this with an iPad mini or iPhone 5. Then, I got to thinking about SIM cards and such and stumbled upon this thread here on MacRumors. Basically, I want to get some feedback on if you guys think this would work.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4S on Verizon. My master plan is to buy an iPad mini from an Apple store and set up the 2GB/month plan on it. Then, I would upgrade to an iPhone 5 over my current 4S. After swapping the SIMs and confirming that the mini SIM works in the 5, I would then terminate my previous contract. This would leave me with an iPhone 5 with a data-only SIM and $30/month. I would then put the original 5 SIM (now clean) into the mini and return it, thus reducing my costs. (I'm aware that I'm paying for a termination fee and such)

So, what are your thoughts? Too much effort? Shady to buy the mini for the SIM and then return it? Won't work? Let me know.

I've been thinking about doing something similar - I ordered an unactivated nano SIM off of eBay and I'm going to try to get VZW to activate it over the phone after I tell them it will be used in a 4G USB stick I already own. I'll let you know how it goes, I should receive the SIM by mid-week.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I don't think it makes sense to put the phone SIM into the iPad mini when returning it. It would probably seem less shady to the store employee if you just returned it with no SIM and claimed that you lost it.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

There are a couple of videos on YouTube of iPad mini's using a tmobile sim.

thatoneguy784

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
So after some more consideration (deliberation, waffling, etc) I bought a Verizon LTE mifi device and plan on using the SIM from that instead of buying a mini. I'll have to trim it but it seems to be working for everyone else. Also, I plan on waiting for the 5S/6 to be released and make a decision on what device to go with at that time.

Thanks for the replies!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I have an add a line with verizon grandfathered true unlimited lte data for $30. So even witht the $10 add a line. I pay like $40 for unlimited lte data I use in my verizon lte iPad. Use between 5-15gb of data each month.

Verizon doesn't audit lte sim switching from devices. That's why they are trying to force people off unlimited lte. It's true lte unlimited and there is nothing they can do about it caused of FCC agreement they had. That's why they force u to get off unlimited if u get subsidized phone.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Thought about doing this for our 3 verizon iphone 5's. Get ipad mini SIMS, convert iphone lines to data only for these ipad minis. Swap sims to iphones. Would reduce our monthly plan from 210 to 70 a month with 6gb of data (postpaid). (Data only sharing plans cost less than the sharing plans that include voice).

Save around 130 or so a month or 1500+ a year.

That's if you could live with no SMS or traditional phone app on iphone. Instead, you use google voice, skype, or something else or a combination. It's possible you could find better solutions using current jailbreak.

Verizon says the plan stays with the SIM. And that you're free to swap them. There doesn't seem to be any problem doing this. You should probably be able to return the ipad mini's with no sim if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.